Railroad Forums 

• Trolley Expansion - Pros & Cons

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1517773  by AlexC

Pro & con opinions from the Inquirer - https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commen ... 90821.html

Here are some snippets from both sides...

Pro---
But aren’t trolleys difficult to board with a stroller or wheelchair? How do they get around a double-parked car? Aren’t tracks dangerous to cyclists? Isn’t the infrastructure prohibitively expensive?

Good things cost money, but because a trolley life cycle can be four times that of a bus, some audits suggest overall costs of trolley operation can be lower than for buses. Wide doors, low floors, and curbside design make boarding ADA-compliant and comfortable for everybody. These are the modern vehicles that glide through Houston, Phoenix, Casablanca, and Vienna.

Some of the world’s best walking and bicycling cities are also great tram cities — think Portland or Amsterdam — not only because they’re working on track inserts to improve cyclist safety, but because they’ve tamed vehicles and carefully planned streets that do the most good for the most people.
Con---
Why install rails and subsequent overhead wire when a bus will do the trick? A bus can be electric, extended to have greater capacity, and prioritized on our roads through “bus rapid transit” lanes that separate them from other auto-prioritized lanes (and even better if it’s a car-free transit mall instead). They’re easier to modify if a route needs to be changed to accommodate more or less ridership in certain areas.

And critically, buses have a better level of accessibility for people in wheelchairs or using other mobility assist devices. Strollers and luggage fit more readily, and the ride above ground provides a connection with the city at large.
 #1517819  by ExCon90

I have to wonder how familiar the "Con" writer is with contemporary rail technology. Her comment about accessibility suggests that she is not familiar with low-floor trolleys but may be thinking only in terms of the present Kawasaki cars. In pointing out that buses "travel above ground" she also seems to be assuming that trolleys have to be in tunnels--many places have reserved surface lanes for streetcars as well as buses. The "Pro" writer is spot on in dealing with all of her assertions. I must concede, however, that I had not previously considered the skateboard alternative ...
 #1521001  by Paul1705

Perhaps someone could offer more details, but I've heard that the city of Philadelphia has been interested in expanding (or restoring) streetcar services while SEPTA mostly has not. In New York the city contributes to capital funding for the MTA, but I don't know what the situation is in Pennsylvania.

Also, DRPA once had a Philadelphia light rail proposal, but I haven't heard anything about it in years.
 #1521045  by ExCon90

To the best of my recollection there was a dustup several years back in which the DRPA was seeking to expand its involvement in various projects; I forget now what some of them were, but they were far removed from DRPA's original purpose. The upshot was that DRPA has been told to confine itself to interstate transportation and matters involving the Port.
 #1521059  by ekt8750

ExCon90 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:29 pm To the best of my recollection there was a dustup several years back in which the DRPA was seeking to expand its involvement in various projects; I forget now what some of them were, but they were far removed from DRPA's original purpose. The upshot was that DRPA has been told to confine itself to interstate transportation and matters involving the Port.
A lot of them were pet projects like sponsorship of the Philadelphia Orchestra and contributing to the construction of Talen Energy Stadium (which they could make an argument for help generate toll revenue on the Commodore Barry).