Railroad Forums 

• NHRR 40 to Operate Excursion from North Wales Station

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1505188  by CNJGeep

$29 for a round trip to go one stop with virtually no photo opportunities, gonna have to say....goodnight.

This is not the first time they've tried this. 40 was supposed to run on the Warminster branch for some celebration at Willow Grove, and that was canned about two weeks before.
 #1505245  by glennk419

It will be interesting to see how and when the ferry runs are conducted. If they come down on the morning of the 18th, would guess that #40 would be under steam but not powering the train in order to preserve fuel and water. Also assuming that the excursion runs will be pull / pull. IIRC, the ferry runs were conducted the same day when NHIR / PNER operated for Lansdale days a few years ago, and those were diesel.
 #1505252  by mcgrath618

While I agree with everyone that $30 is a bit much for a 4 mile round trip, this is mainline steam. SEPTA was gracious enough to let the NHRR to run a non-PTC train over their tracks. In this day and age I call that a blessing.

Also, there are plenty of photo ops if you know where to look. The grade crossing at main street in North Wales comes to mind.
 #1505289  by CNJGeep

glennk419 wrote:It will be interesting to see how and when the ferry runs are conducted. If they come down on the morning of the 18th, would guess that #40 would be under steam but not powering the train in order to preserve fuel and water. Also assuming that the excursion runs will be pull / pull. IIRC, the ferry runs were conducted the same day when NHIR / PNER operated for Lansdale days a few years ago, and those were diesel.
How I have had it told to me was as follows: dragged down Friday with a diesel, lit off Saturday morning at Lansdale, however it may possibly be in "light steam" (50lbs or less) for lubrication. SEPTA was very emphatic that the 40 does not lead anywhere else since they plan on taking #1 track out of service for these trips to run on, and it looks like their going to slap a 10MPH restriction on it when it is running. The engine will point south.
 #1505790  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

After reading this topic about the steam train special runs scheduled for May 18 I searched for
some more information about this and the North Wales 150th Anniversary.

Gwynedd Valley is at Mile 20.0 and North Wales is 22.4 therefore is is exactly 2.4 miles one way
or 4.8 miles round trip. As mentioned this is an expensive fan trip for the short distance that this
train will actually run. The only adequate photo locations will probably be the turnaround points
at both stations and perhaps the US Route 202 bridge or the Swedesford Road bridge over the
Gwynedd Cut - which will limit photos and views on board the train as well.

Was there any consideration to operating special train service for a longer run (example Lansdale
to Ambler) with emphasis on North Wales which may have brought added interest from those
communities as well? (perhaps helping to sell more tickets to ride the Special trains...)

From reading the current weekend schedule taking further note to how one track is going to be
exclusively used by the special runs Penllyn to Lansdale regular service will be single tracked on
that day during the special operations. Southbound trains are scheduled to stop at Ambler every
hour at :01 and northbounds at :02 making single track operation at least practical on that day.

Weekend trains stop at North Wales each hour at :52 southbound and :11 northbound.

https://northwales150.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Like the way that the North Wales Railroad Station is used on the 150 logo.

MACTRAXX
 #1507340  by mcgrath618

CNJGeep wrote:$29 for a round trip to go one stop with virtually no photo opportunities, gonna have to say....goodnight.

This is not the first time they've tried this. 40 was supposed to run on the Warminster branch for some celebration at Willow Grove, and that was canned about two weeks before.
Looks like things fared better this time. The entire day is sold out.
 #1508598  by mcgrath618

ChemiosMurphy wrote:Anyone have the scoop on timings for the move from NHIRR to Septa turf on Friday night and/or return times?

Unrelated sidenote, it's interesting how Septa didn't put up an alert on their website about opposite track boarding on for the 18th
I was wondering this myself (the former, that is). I've been considering going up depending on the time of day it happens.

My friend actually bought two tickets for me, so I'll be on board! I'll report how things go.