Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA to Piggyback on NJT MLV III (EMU) Order?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1493837  by ChesterValley

sammy2009 wrote:
CRRC also bidded for the NJT order but im not sure that NJT is required to follow the "Buy America" because its a state agency ? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
The US Congress explicitly working towards forbidding the use of Federal funds to go to CRRC https://www.enotrans.org/article/senate ... companies/
zebrasepta wrote:I wonder if these will have any height issues on SEPTA and also what would the naming for these would be and knowing SEPTA they'll probably take out the bathrooms.
If SEPTA has turned down bathrooms on the new coaches, and the Silverliner V's, I seriously doubt they will have a sudden change of heart. No idea what it would take SEPTA to actually have a bathroom, especially when these trains have stupid long delays.

Outside of that, I'm not so sure if Bilevels bricks are the magic bullet to fix SEPTA's problems. Keep in mind dwell times spike with these things, especially for a line like Paoli or Doylestown on the R5 where the stations are so clustered together.
 #1493838  by mcgrath618

ChesterValley wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:
CRRC also bidded for the NJT order but im not sure that NJT is required to follow the "Buy America" because its a state agency ? Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
The US Congress explicitly working towards forbidding the use of Federal funds to go to CRRC https://www.enotrans.org/article/senate ... companies/
zebrasepta wrote:I wonder if these will have any height issues on SEPTA and also what would the naming for these would be and knowing SEPTA they'll probably take out the bathrooms.
If SEPTA has turned down bathrooms on the new coaches, and the Silverliner V's, I seriously doubt they will have a sudden change of heart. No idea what it would take SEPTA to actually have a bathroom, especially when these trains have stupid long delays.

Outside of that, I'm not so sure if Bilevels bricks are the magic bullet to fix SEPTA's problems. Keep in mind dwell times spike with these things, especially for a line like Paoli or Doylestown on the R5 where the stations are so clustered together.
SEPTA doesn't have bathrooms because the FRA doesn't require them to. If they were to expand into Maryland to connect with MARC (which is apparently in the works), they would be over the minimum length for bathrooms for both crew and passengers on the route. I think it's 60 miles.
 #1493851  by ChemiosMurphy

ChesterValley wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:

Tell that to the people that can't get a seat. For me, it sucked standing from Manayunk to 30th on a rush hour train. Also, those standees will now get a whole two pathways to stand in.

Less cars, more people, win win.

The dwell times for egress shouldn't be too bad if people are ready to roll at their station.

Also, no more awkward middle seat. People will be thrilled.

Also, I'd say 93.3% of people don't care about bathrooms since the rides are so short. How many people really use the restrooms on NJT trains that are less than 60 minutes?
 #1493902  by mcgrath618

andrewjw wrote:
zebrasepta wrote:I wonder if these will have any height issues on SEPTA
SEPTA ran some NJT MLV IIs through the Center City Tunnel to test for their new CRRC MLVs, so these should fit fine.
Did they really? Does anyone have any pics?
 #1493910  by ekt8750

They cleared NJT's current MLVs back when they were soliciting bids for their own multilevels.
 #1493919  by ExCon90

CNJGeep wrote:
ChemiosMurphy wrote: if people are ready to roll at their station.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
They won't be able to roll if there are standees in the aisle who aren't getting off there. People can miss their stop under such conditions.
 #1494000  by DutchRailnut

Bathrooms are not a requirement by law, not even for crews as long as bathrooms are available along the route (stations /yards/tower/ etc.
 #1494034  by R36 Combine Coach

sammy2009 wrote:silverliner 4's are almost at the end of their useful life as is the Arrows.

In fact, the Silverliners have gone almost 45 years without a full rebuild, only modest upgrades along the way.

Buy America Act applies only to new car orders with federal transit funding (capital grants). State or 100% agency funded contracts are not subject to Buy America preferences for domestic assembly, labor and content. For example many MTA new equipment (bus and railcar) orders are fully self-funded by MTA Capital Program. Many NJT projects are fully funded by state transportation funds. Others, such as the ALP44s and some of NJT's MCI suburban coaches were financed by foreign investment banks.
 #1494069  by jamesinclair

ChemiosMurphy wrote: Also, I'd say 93.3% of people don't care about bathrooms since the rides are so short. How many people really use the restrooms on NJT trains that are less than 60 minutes?
You dont care until you need it. And just because your time on the commuter rail is under 60 minutes, that doesnt mean your entire trip is.
 #1494127  by ChesterValley

I've been stranded on multiple trains for 2 hours, which is always fun when Amtrak has a delay or some other hiccup on the Paoli line. The R5 train from Thorndale though Doylestown lasts from 4:50 am to 730 am in the morning with multiple thorough runs lasting through the day, even with the crew change at suburban that's still a long haul. Furthermore SEPTA needs to do something to compete with Uber/lyft, bathrooms would be a very attractive amenity assuming they maintain them properly