Railroad Forums 

• Early Septa Equipment

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1480969  by Milepost 110

I am currently compiling a roster of early septa commuter rail equipment around the time of inception. I have the numbers of the FP7s, all silverliners, and blueliners. However, I'm missing the numbers for the MP54s, RDCs, Reading "green" mus, and the passenger cars used in conjunction with the FP7s. If anyone has any of this information, I'd very much appreciate if you'd be willing to help me fill in the blanks. Thanks!
 #1480977  by NorthPennLimited

The original RDG MU’s (#800-899) were built in the late 1920’s at the Reading Shops and maintained at a newly built facility at Wayne Junction when they were placed in revenue service. These were known as the “green cars”.

In 1963, the Passenger Service Improvement Corporation was granted federal money to procure a fleet of Silverliner II cars to begin phasing out the green cars. In the late 60’s about 30 of the Green cars were overhauled and repainted blue and cream into the “blues” Reading Company numbered them 9100-913x (I can’t remember the last car number).

The remaining blues departed revenue service in the early 80’s when the cost of outfitting them with PRR type cab signals through the center city tunnel made it cost prohibitive. To quickly procure some new wheels, SEPTA purchased the AEM-7 push-pull fleet.

After 50 years of service, the blues (which were built to replace the RDG camelback passenger train) were replaced by AEM-7 hauled trains, which are now undergoing replacement by the ACS-64.

The last Reading Company cars in the SEPTA fleet is a handful of Silverliner IV cars formerly of the 90xx number series
 #1481000  by mcgrath618

Milepost 110 wrote:I am currently compiling a roster of early septa commuter rail equipment around the time of inception. I have the numbers of the FP7s, all silverliners, and blueliners. However, I'm missing the numbers for the MP54s, RDCs, Reading "green" mus, and the passenger cars used in conjunction with the FP7s. If anyone has any of this information, I'd very much appreciate if you'd be willing to help me fill in the blanks. Thanks!
Not much help, but I’m pretty sure the MP54s were in between 400-450.
 #1481005  by MACTRAXX

MP110: What do you exactly mean by "inception"? From the information that you seek the time
period is from the late 1960s into the early 1980s: The PRR/PC and RDG Commuter Rail systems
into the Conrail operation period 4/1/1976 until 12/31/1982.

NPL: SEPTA ran a group of Blueliner MU cars until June 1990. The original thought was that they
would not be adequate for the track grades on either side of the Center City Tunnel more than the
cost of adding cab signals to these cars. Some were upgraded and in one case displayed at a NJT
Hoboken Festival back in the mid 1980s. During June 1990 Philadelphia Chapter-NRHS ran their
"Farewell to the Blueliners" railfan trip. They used a five car train with four in the 1960s Reading
color scheme and the fifth with a SEPTA color scheme. This was the last Blueliner set in service...

The Reading Company RDC1 cars were 12 numbered 9151 to 9162. There would be four more
added: RDC1 9163 from the Lehigh Valley; 9164 (RDC1) 9165 (RDC2) and 9166 (RDC3) from
the Boston & Maine for a total of 16 RDC cars.

The Reading Company Silverliner Two cars were 9001-9017 and the single Silverliner Four cars
9018-9031 (17 plus 14 equals 31 total) along with 84 100 series Silverliner Four cars (101-184)
which were part of the add-on order dating from 1975-76.

For added information about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_el ... iple_units" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRR_MP54" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MACTRAXX
 #1481173  by NorthPennLimited

Thanks for the correction on the last revenue trip of the Blueliners, Max.

Interesting tidbit on the LV and B&M RDC cars. We’re they a stop-gap when the Crusader and Wall Street trains lost their push-pull consists and got replaced with RDC’s?
 #1481182  by Milepost 110

Thank you all so much for your help, just one more question. I’ve also seen some of the old reading green emus that weren’t converted to blueliners with septa logos slapped on. Does anyone have any idea which original car survived into the septa era?
 #1481194  by R36 Combine Coach

NorthPennLimited wrote:The original RDG MU’s (#800-899) were built in the late 1920’s at the Reading Shops and maintained at a newly built facility at Wayne Junction when they were placed in revenue service. These were known as the “green cars”.

In 1963, the Passenger Service Improvement Corporation was granted federal money to procure a fleet of Silverliner II cars to begin phasing out the green cars. In the late 60’s about 30 of the Green cars were overhauled and repainted blue and cream into the “blues” Reading Company numbered them 9100-913x (I can’t remember the last car number).

After 50 years of service, the blues (which were built to replace the RDG camelback passenger train) were replaced by AEM-7 hauled trains, which are now undergoing replacement by the ACS-64.
Built by Harlan & Hollingsworth 1931, rebuilt in-house 1965 (funded by PSIC). Retired in 1990 (along with the PRR Silverliner I (Pioneer III) series).
 #1481197  by amtrakhogger

IIRC, the Blues had cab signals but no speed control.
 #1481386  by glennk419

MACTRAXX wrote: The Reading Company RDC1 cars were 12 numbered 9151 to 9162. There would be four more
added: RDC1 9163 from the Lehigh Valley; 9164 (RDC1) 9165 (RDC2) and 9166 (RDC3) from
the Boston & Maine for a total of 16 RDC cars.MACTRAXX
There were at least 18 RDc's, not sure how many actually transferred on "C" day and none were running when SEPTA assumed operations from Conrail in 1983.

9167 - RDC 1 actually lettered Southeastern Pennsylvania Transit Authority
9168 - RDC3 converted to RDC 1.

After SEPTA discontinued diesel operations, a couple cars were retained for "possible" Newtown service resumption with most of the rest of the survivors being scattered about New England; some to the MBTA as locomotive hauled coaches and a few to the Hobo Railroad. 9166 / 9168 survive on the Reading and Northern and 9153 is on the Bellefonte Historical Railroad, all in operating condition. 9163 resides at RRMPA in Strasburg, renumbered as LV 40.