Railroad Forums 

• Best Place to see Toasters and ALP-44 before retirement

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1480088  by chuchubob

Coast Line Railfan wrote:I was wondering, where is the best place you can see the Toasters and/or ALP-44 if any are still in revenue service? I was unable to 901 last Friday and didn't see any Toasters @ Trenton that day either. Besides the Flyers, what expresses do they run on that I could see???

Thanks!
Push-pulls aren't currently running from/to Trenton.
I like North Broad for the morning peak. This is a June 8 post on the "AEM-7/ALP-44 status" thread.
chuchubob wrote:The morning AEM7 fleet at North Broad Friday morning:
 #1480099  by ChesterValley

I don't know if the ALP-44 is still running, Judging by the camera at Frazer yard http://www.frazeryard.com/webcam.html, it looks like its been pulled out. As for the toasters I know there is typically one running the Paoli Limited into and out of Center City, train 9538 and train 9559
 #1480145  by MACTRAXX

Coast Line Railfan wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Is the ALP44 that bad off that it's being pulled?
Well now that 901 is here, they can pull 2308 out and repair or dispose of her.
CLR and BNT: Yes-2308 may be the "odd one out" in this case into early retirement if there are
significant issues that will sideline SEPTA's only (and the last one in service with the retirement
of NJT's entire ALP44 fleet in case anyone is unaware) ALP44 locomotive.

On the topic of best places to watch SEPTA RRD trains a good one is adjacent to the 20th Street
Portal alongside JFK Boulevard during the AM or PM Peak hours. I remember that there was some
construction in the vicinity restricting access to this area - has that been completed?

North Broad Street - as Chuchubob notes - is another good location to watch for the motors. What
one will miss at NBS are push-pull trains terminating at Suburban Station on either tracks 5-6-7.
Good idea to go out and find them now - the SEPTA AEM7 and ALP44 motors days are numbered...
MACTRAXX
 #1480172  by CNJGeep

Coast Line Railfan wrote:Glenside, is it a good spot?
Yes, if you want to see 0 push-pulls
ChesterValley wrote:I don't know if the ALP-44 is still running...
I wouldn't choose that hill to die on.
ChesterValley wrote:Train 9538 and train 9559
901 is the dedicated power for 9538. 9559 is good for a Toaster.
MACTRAXX wrote:On the topic of best places to watch SEPTA RRD trains a good one is adjacent to the 20th Street
Portal alongside JFK Boulevard during the AM or PM Peak hours. I remember that there was some
construction in the vicinity restricting access to this area - has that been completed?
No. In fact, the area has grown in to a rather shocking degree.
Yes, but it is nominally a spare and *could* be used if times were hard enough.
 #1480225  by Coast Line Railfan

CNJGeep wrote:
Coast Line Railfan wrote:Glenside, is it a good spot?
Yes, if you want to see 0 push-pulls
ChesterValley wrote:I don't know if the ALP-44 is still running...
I wouldn't choose that hill to die
ChesterValley wrote:Train 9538 and train 9559
901 is the dedicated power for 9538. 9559 is good for a Toaster.
MACTRAXX wrote:On the topic of best places to watch SEPTA RRD trains a good one is adjacent to the 20th Street
No. In fact, the area has grown in to a rather shocking degree.
Yes, but it is nominally a spare and *could* be used if times were hard enough.
OOPS lol. I meant Jenkintown-Wyncote and the WTR Line. Don't know my Reading sode of the system ;). I pretty keen on Temeple U and if not that, 30th Street.
 #1480248  by CNJGeep

Only the two West Trenton sets go through Jenkintown in the morning and evening. The only place in the afternoon to see all of the push-pulls is 30th Street. In the Morning, any Center City station will work.