Railroad Forums 

• Septa push pull overview

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1464610  by mcgrath618

CNJGeep wrote:No push pulls to Trenton, Delaware still gets one in the AM and the PM
I thought SEPTA ran one AEM to Trenton in the PM rush, but I heard they pulled some out so I may be late.
I'm sure that when we get our sprinters we'll end up seeing some more on both lines, since we'll have 5 more engines to work with.
Related, do you guys think they'll pull those Comet I cars out of storage and use them with an ACS-64? We have a good amount of Comet IIs and IIIs but definitely not enough for 13 engines. We have something like 40-50 of them, not counting the Is, right?
 #1464613  by R3 Passenger

mcgrath618 wrote:I thought SEPTA ran one AEM to Trenton in the PM rush, but I heard they pulled some out so I may be late.
The PP set on the Trenton Line used to be 9745 in the PM, and 9724 in the AM. Those were pulled effective the January 14 schedule.
mcgrath618 wrote:I'm sure that when we get our sprinters we'll end up seeing some more on both lines, since we'll have 5 more engines to work with.
It's possible.
mcgrath618 wrote:Related, do you guys think they'll pull those Comet I cars out of storage and use them with an ACS-64?
Nope. Comet I cars are done.
mcgrath618 wrote:We have a good amount of Comet IIs and IIIs but definitely not enough for 13 engines. We have something like 40-50 of them, not counting the Is, right?
Definitely not enough, but that is why we are getting 45 new multilevel cars.

And CNJGeep, thank you for pointing out that oversight. I stand corrected.
 #1464749  by Backshophoss

In the current issue(March '18) of "Railfan & Railroad" starting on pg 39 is a article "Farewell to Philly's Toasters".
Worth reading' :wink:
 #1470037  by zebrasepta

train2 wrote:No asking about Amtrak in reference to the push pulls.
I think the only push-pull service Amtrak has is the Keystone Corridor and I think they got one in California too
 #1470069  by Backshophoss

Amtrak's Keystone corridor,and the NHV-Springfield line are Push-Pull operations
The Amtrak-Ca ops are also Push-Pull for the Surfliner(San Diego) services,and the Capital Corridor(Sacramento-Oakland) services.
 #1470122  by mcgrath618

BuddCar711 wrote:Will the cab cars ever get redone?
I would assume that they will be redone when they get their PTC installed (that is, if they haven't already).
 #1470152  by silverliner266

Backshophoss wrote:Amtrak's Keystone corridor,and the NHV-Springfield line are Push-Pull operations
The Amtrak-Ca ops are also Push-Pull for the Surfliner(San Diego) services,and the Capital Corridor(Sacramento-Oakland) services.
I believe the Downeaster and Hiawatha are push-pull as well. The Hiawatha runs with converted F-40 "cabbage" units.
 #1470165  by CNJGeep

BuddCar711 wrote:Will the cab cars ever get redone?
What do you mean, "redone?" The fancy new interiors?
If so, 2401 and 2408 have been done for ages now. Allegedly the other cab cars will go once the three trailers that were left are done (I believe the final one is going through the program now.)
 #1470171  by ExCon90

silverliner266 wrote:I believe the Downeaster and Hiawatha are push-pull as well. The Hiawatha runs with converted F-40 "cabbage" units.
That's correct. I forgot about them.
 #1470212  by NorthPennLimited

Hopefully, we get push pull equipment back on 6595, or 5711 in the mornings and on the North Wales Express in the evenings. We could use the extra seats.

The volume of passengers headed towards Lansdale / Doylestown at 5pm is so great, we have 3 trains within 10 minutes headed north from center city. The first 2 are express, and the third is a local to Lansdale.
 #1470222  by mcgrath618

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that while the double decker trains are intended only for the NEC, Keystone Corridor, and West Trenton lines, the sprinters will be paired with Comet IIs and IIIs on the Lansdale/Norristown and Media/Elwyn (by that time Media/Wawa) lines.
 #1470229  by glennk419

mcgrath618 wrote:I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and say that while the double decker trains are intended only for the NEC, Keystone Corridor, and West Trenton lines, the sprinters will be paired with Comet IIs and IIIs on the Lansdale/Norristown and Media/Elwyn (by that time Media/Wawa) lines.
The Warminster line is also at capacity and hopefully with the Jenkintown substation being online and adding capacity on this side of the railroad, we'll see some more PP's.
There are actually two PP's back on the West Trenton line right now.