Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Technical Topics

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1398742  by Gilbert B Norman

I'm of course pleased to learn that a two car test train is out on the rails. Regarding the comment if it were sandbagged to simulate passengers, well, "baby steps first".

Most of concern to me is that there have been no reports here, or at least noted by me, that the design weakness has been defined and addressed by either SEPTA or the new vendor's engineering. Are we simply using the same Buckeye drawings of the part that, I'd dare say, failed "prematurely"? If so, get ready for "same song, second verse" in another five years.

Finally, look what this posting drew from Mr. Google's "target marketing".

http://www.onealmfgservices.com/indianapolis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1398809  by Nasadowsk

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Most of concern to me is that there have been no reports here, or at least noted by me, that the design weakness has been defined and addressed by either SEPTA or the new vendor's engineering. Are we simply using the same Buckeye drawings of the part that, I'd dare say, failed "prematurely"? If so, get ready for "same song, second verse" in another five years.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results"

I seem to recall the R-46's trucks went around in circles for a few years at the NYCTA until they just replaced them.

I wonder who'dsgoing to be left holding the bag?
 #1398880  by South Jersey Budd

Sand bags were used in the initial testing of the cars when originally delivered. It allows the engineering people to collect data on how the cars perform on many levels ( including trucks, springs, lateral motion etc.) under a full weight load.

I also wonder if the theory of how the cracking most likely occurred is solved with whatever new design they decide on or it's just a five year fix.
 #1399368  by chuchubob

From the Thursday morning press conference:
"Knueppel explained that the replacement beams are of an entirely new design that eliminates the points where fatigue cracks developed on the old beams. Where the old beams had a notch, the new ones have a smooth curve, and instead of being welded to the beams, the feet are attached by pins."
“The new beams should have a fatigue life of 30 years,” said Assistant General Manager for Operations Ron Hopkins..."
 #1399461  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Vogel, do we drink the General Manager's Kool-Aid, or do we hold to the thoughts of Messrs. Silverliner, Budd, as well as myself, that a lyricist had best be writing that second verse?

No swinging at you of course, for you are simply the reporter.
 #1399483  by Nasadowsk

chuchubob wrote:From the Thursday morning press conference:
"Knueppel explained that the replacement beams are of an entirely new design that eliminates the points where fatigue cracks developed on the old beams. Where the old beams had a notch, the new ones have a smooth curve, and instead of being welded to the beams, the feet are attached by pins."
“The new beams should have a fatigue life of 30 years,” said Assistant General Manager for Operations Ron Hopkins..."
So, they messed up engineering 101 the first time around?
 #1399775  by ferroequinologist

Not sure how technical it is, but when I passed the Silverlined Vs at Overbrook today a pretty significant proportion were vandalized with graffiti. I assume that'll get removed before they go back into service, or will they go in straight? Will that interfere with returning them to service at all?
 #1400253  by pumpers

I've been out of the loop the past few weeks but it is great to see cars coming back so fast, congrats to those involved. Does anyone know if the idea to attach the load-bearing plates with pins is a standard approach or something new?
Sure seems straightforward compared to the complexities of welding. I wonder what the down side is. Time will tell. In the videos posted from news sites, the plasma cutter is impressive. I think they said it could cut out an equalizer in less than ten minutes.
 #1400544  by Gilbert B Norman

Let us hope we are not addressing a "haste makes waste" situation, that this defect reported to the Forum immediately by Mr. GlennK is minor in nature and scope, and that the forged and machined replacement parts in process or finished are unaffected.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.