Railroad Forums 

• Market Frankford Line Skip Stop

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1366886  by Nicholas Chen

Perhaps overcrowding? The J/Z skip stop in Brooklyn only saves about 5 minutes. I'm not sure about how bad crowding is there or in Philly, so there could be other reasons.
 #1366893  by lefty

The reasoning I have heard it is to make sure that people can get on the train, that if it hit every stop, people in the stops between 63rd and 15th as well as Arrot and Spring Garden might not get a seat.
 #1367005  by sammy2009

My sister asked me this question over the summer , she said she always thought it was stupid lol. But it works well and helps me to get where i need to be in a good time even if it saves 5mins. But if you sat a station and watch the EL's go by i don't think you would think it would need a Skip-Stop service. But yes the EL does get crowded so it does help during peak hours instead of it being a local all day. Sometime i wish it had 4 tracks or maybe just three.
 #1367019  by trackwelder

it's all about overcrowding. when it's brutally cold (like it is now) they dispense with it and all trains are all stops, so people don't have to wait out in the cold as long. i get on at berks, when i was with the 8th st welders gang, getting on at 730 am, i rarely got a seat on my usual A train. when it's an all stops train at the same time i had to fight my way in just so the doors could close.