Railroad Forums 

• PATCO to Glassboro?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1503300  by pateljones

jamesinclair wrote:is the study for PATCO or for River Line?
Patco. This is from the year 2020 budget approved st tidaysNJT Board meeting:
This program provides funding for transit expansion projects, including River Line Glassboro-Camden Light Rail Improvements, new station construction, ferry program, fixed guideway improvements (Rail, Light Rail, BRT, and Ferry), and related vehicle and equipment acquisition. Also included are FTA new starts projects authorized under New Jersey Urban Core or SAFETEA- LU. Potential projects in this category include (in no rank order): Northern Branch Rail; HBLR Extension to Secaucus; HBLR Secaucus-Meadowlands Connector; Passaic-Bergen rail service on the NYS&W east of Hawthorne using Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) passenger equipment; Restoration of commuter rail service on the NYS&W west of Hawthorne; Port Morris Improvements; West Shore--Hoboken to West Haverstraw; NERL Elizabeth Segment from NJ TRANSIT'S Northeast Corridor Midtown Elizabeth Station to Newark Liberty International Airport via the Elizabeth Waterfront; Restoration of commuter rail service on the West Trenton line; River LINE LRT Capitol Extension; Second Phase of River LINE LRT/PATCO Extension; Glassboro- Camden Light Rail; Route 1 BRT, Second Phase of NERL (Newark Penn Station to Newark Liberty International Airport); Commuter rail extension in Monmouth and Ocean Counties; Lehigh Third Track Capacity Improvements; Extension of Cape May Seashore Line north to Hammonton (to Atlantic City Rail Line); Commuter Rail extension to Phillipsburg, improvements on the Atlantic City Rail Line, new rail station improvements such as Atlantic City Line/River LINE connection, Moynihan Station, Penn Station New York access improvements and platform extensions, Penn Station New York Central Concourse, Penn Station New York West End Concourse, E-yard expansion, Bus Rapid Transit Initiatives, Park and Rides and Smart Card Technology Program along with other new systemwide, rail, bus, and light rail initiatives arising during the year.
 #1503449  by andrewjw

This is incorrect. The new study is for River Line, not PATCO. You literally said it. 'River Line Glassboro-Camden Light Rail Improvements"
 #1503450  by mcgrath618

andrewjw wrote:This is incorrect. The new study is for River Line, not PATCO. You literally said it. 'River Line Glassboro-Camden Light Rail Improvements"
It says "Riverline/PATCO." I take it they're looking into both.
 #1503452  by pateljones

South Jersey will finally be funded for new rail services and the Glassboro study is issuing this year. Senator Sweeney called Glassboro service his highest priority and I am very much looking forward to news to move this forward.
 #1503515  by WashingtonPark

mcgrath618 wrote:
andrewjw wrote:This is incorrect. The new study is for River Line, not PATCO. You literally said it. 'River Line Glassboro-Camden Light Rail Improvements"
Having worked on the station project committee in town and being at the last Camden County open house here is what was said about transportation to Glassboro. It will be run like the riverline by TNJ. This fact is set in stone. There is no consideration whatsoever for it to be a PATCO-like system due to expense and lack of capacity during the rush hours on the Ben Franklin Bridge. Transfers to PATCO can be made at the Walter Rand transportation center. Timeline: This year and 2020, finishing up the studies and holding community meetings. 2021, Putting out the contracts. 2022, starting construction with a finish and opening date of 2025.
The state has put aside money for this but has yet to get the needed assurances that they'll get the federal dollars they need. There was no mention of how much they wanted the federal government to kick in.
Here's some history: In 2009 we were told this would be up and running in 2014. In 2012 we were told it would be up and running by 2018. In 2015 we were told our committee was suspended indefinitely because there were no federal funds available. The latest information was from the fall 2018 meeting which was basically the same thing thing we had been told at the 2009 meeting except the timeline was stretched from 5 years to 7 years. The information came from Louis Cappelli, Jr. Freeholder Director, Congressman Donald Norcross, Freeholder Carmen G. Rodriguez and the late mayor of Gloucester City William James so I would assume this timeline is pretty much what we're going with now. Excuse me if I don't get too excited until we get past the study and information stage. We've been stuck in that for over ten years and at best have nearly two years left to go.
 #1503523  by andrewjw

mcgrath618 wrote:
Where does it say PATCO? The quoted paragraph just says RiverLine.
 #1503528  by ChesterValley

The study is being done by DRPA and PATCO for the riverline
 #1503529  by mcgrath618

ChesterValley wrote:The study is being done by DRPA and PATCO for the riverline
"Second Phase of River LINE LRT/PATCO Extension"
 #1504010  by drinkatoast

As the tech is apparently going to be RiverLine-type DMUs, I sure hope they're planning for much higher FREQUENCY and higher OPERATING SPEEDS given the much greater ridership potential on this route compared to the Camden - Trenton. And sadly, I'm also skeptical until I see the first dozers actually on-site.
 #1504083  by WashingtonPark

https://www.american-rails.com/pennsylv ... ml#gallery" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[pageGallery]/1/ If you check out the PRSL schedule here this is pretty close to what TNJ is planning to run if it ever gets built. It's going through towns without grade separation so most of the track will be 40MPH, and you don't know how much complaining the NIMBYs did about that wanting the trains to be restricted to 25MPH through town.
 #1504091  by ExCon90

Can that be right? It's not worth doing at all if that's all the service they're going to run.
 #1504144  by WashingtonPark

ExCon90 wrote:Can that be right? It's not worth doing at all if that's all the service they're going to run.
Meant that that will be the amount of time required to go from Woodbury/Glassboro to Walter Rand. jamesinclair is correct in his assessment. Maybe more frequent than every 30 minutes during the rush hours.
 #1504145  by ExCon90

I misunderstood--and it's true that there can't be any significant improvement in transit time. LRVs are more agile than RDCs, but probably not enough to gain more than 5 minutes or so end-to-end. And based on what I hear on the KYW traffic reports every morning that may attract a healthy ridership.