Railroad Forums 

• PATCO to Glassboro?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1506703  by WashingtonPark

pateljones wrote:Don’t forget that No Build is an option. Any deadline for when the consultants report will be issued?
No build is certainly an option, especially if the federal funds don't come through. Timetable that was given to us was 2019-studies finished, 2020-presentation to the public at community meetings, 2021-awarding of contracts, 2022 to 2025-construction. Steps one and two have been going on for decades. My guess is when 2021 comes the DRPA will determine the studies are out of date and hand out more gas tax dollars to consultants.
 #1507197  by Dcell

The expansion being discussed would branch from the existing PATCO line in Camden, just east of Broadway station. So it would require additional TPH, not extending any current service past Lindenwold[/quote]

Is there a diagram or schematic of this connection linking Patco and the rail line to Glassboro? I’d like to learn more about it.
 #1507245  by ExCon90

I'd be surprised if there is one--I don't know that it's ever been seriously considered. For one thing, there's a considerable difference in grade where PATCO and the ex-PRSL line to Glassboro are closest.
 #1507256  by WashingtonPark

Dcell wrote:
Is there a diagram or schematic of this connection linking Patco and the rail line to Glassboro? I’d like to learn more about it.
There's no schematic because there will be no connection.
 #1507390  by drinkatoast

I'm convinced by the informed operational posts I've seen here that it wouldn't be feasible to run Gloucester Co. trains over PATCO into Center City. Surprising since the orig PATCO plan was for 3 branches all combining at Camden & running into the subway, but I guess real-world testing proved that not possible. In any case I hope the if a Gloucester Co. DMU line does get built it has the capacity, as I mentioned in previous post, to handle much higher patronage than the RiverLine. Gloucester Co. - Phila. is a MAJOR commuter corridor unlike Trenton - Burlington - Phila.
 #1507432  by ChrisinAbington

drinkatoast wrote:I'm convinced by the informed operational posts I've seen here that it wouldn't be feasible to run Gloucester Co. trains over PATCO into Center City. Surprising since the orig PATCO plan was for 3 branches all combining at Camden & running into the subway, but I guess real-world testing proved that not possible. In any case I hope the if a Gloucester Co. DMU line does get built it has the capacity, as I mentioned in previous post, to handle much higher patronage than the RiverLine. Gloucester Co. - Phila. is a MAJOR commuter corridor unlike Trenton - Burlington - Phila.
Potentially it might not be that difficult to run PATCO up the Ridge Avenue Spur if severed connections were restored. There's some capacity for you although not much of Center City would be affected. Obviously jurisdictional issues would need to be addressed. People looking to go to Locust could transfer at Franklin Square.
 #1507434  by mcgrath618

ChrisinAbington wrote:
drinkatoast wrote:I'm convinced by the informed operational posts I've seen here that it wouldn't be feasible to run Gloucester Co. trains over PATCO into Center City. Surprising since the orig PATCO plan was for 3 branches all combining at Camden & running into the subway, but I guess real-world testing proved that not possible. In any case I hope the if a Gloucester Co. DMU line does get built it has the capacity, as I mentioned in previous post, to handle much higher patronage than the RiverLine. Gloucester Co. - Phila. is a MAJOR commuter corridor unlike Trenton - Burlington - Phila.
Potentially it might not be that difficult to run PATCO up the Ridge Avenue Spur if severed connections were restored. There's some capacity for you although not much of Center City would be affected. Obviously jurisdictional issues would need to be addressed. People looking to go to Locust could transfer at Franklin Square.
It's my stark opinion that either both the BRS and PATCO needs to run all the way to 16th and Locust, or just the Spur. PATCO going to the end is great, but because it's a separate entity from SEPTA, it discourages Philly residents from using it (which is a shame, because it goes to a lot of popular destinations). Since the City owns the tunnels, they could just not renew the lease with PATCO.

PATCO should, in all seriousness, be treated like the PATH of Philadelphia. Have it work on the same faring system as SEPTA, and have it just be a way to get into Jersey from the city, not to get around Philadelphia. This would allow for the BRS to actually maybe get a few riders, which could then justify an extension or even (and I am being VERY optimistic here) a construction of the full loop.
 #1507471  by rr503

The obstacles to PATCO to downtown seem to be ones that are almost entirely of PATCO's creation. The crossover placement at the terminal is unfortunate, as are the lengths of the terminal's relay tracks. On the managerial side, the issue seems to be one of political balkanization, a set of braking assumptions and signal designs that are out of line with the standards for heavy rail rapid transit really everywhere else in the tree-graced world, and sheer inertia. Luckily for us, all of these things could be fixed in the context of a capital investment and operating plan that prioritizes capacity reform, but that requires there to be a will on the part of electeds to...do the right thing.
 #1513024  by pateljones

The year 2019 is half finished and there still is nothing new from the consultants. I thought Mr. Senate President Sweeney was trying to move this faster along. So many cry for this service to Glassboro but the leaders seem to do nothing when they hear our cries.
 #1513101  by WashingtonPark

From the Camden County freeholders and Norcross---------------2019-studies finished up---------------2020-community meetings--------------2021-awarding of contracts---------------2022-2025-constuction and opening. My guess---------------2019-studies finished up---------------2020-community meetings--------------2021-2025-studies by politically connected consulting firms conducted to ascertain whether previous studies are still valid. :(
 #1518597  by pateljones

I fear the Extension Study is no longer being persued actively. I’ve called the telephone number listed on the study web site many many times but the telephone is disconnected. The updates on the web site are years old.