Railroad Forums 

• 10.8 Billion Transit Trips for 2014

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1320800  by the sarge

http://www.apta.com/mediacenter/pressre ... rship.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“In 2014, people took a record 10.8 billion trips on public transportation -- the highest annual ridership number in 58 years,” said Phillip Washington, APTA Chair and CEO & General Manager of the Regional Transportation District in Denver. “Some public transit systems experienced all-time record high ridership last year. This record ridership didn’t just happen in large cities. It also happened in small and medium size communities.”
Also of note are:

After gas prices dropped from their peaks, the growth still continued, not dropped as it just about always had in the past.

As transit ridership grew, bus ridership decreased nationaly.

The link at the bottom of the article: http://www.apta.com/resources/statistic ... p-APTA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; displays the Philadelphia (And every other transit agency), numbers for comparison/analysis outside the digested article.
 #1320819  by NorthPennLimited

My biggest gripe about driving into the city every day (other than The Schuylkill Expressway) is the lack of parking in center city.

If you can find space in a garage after 8:30am, they want $24-30 for the day if you go a minute past 8 hours.

Gas prices have little effect on my decision to drive VS take the train. For me it's the price of parking and the unpredictability of I-76 traffic.

I think the parking situation in center city will exacerbate when Comcast II is finished construction and office space gets leased out.
 #1320821  by the sarge

NorthPennLimited wrote:My biggest gripe about driving into the city every day (other than The Schuylkill Expressway) is the lack of parking in center city.

If you can find space in a garage after 8:30am, they want $24-30 for the day if you go a minute past 8 hours.

Gas prices have little effect on my decision to drive VS take the train. For me it's the price of parking and the unpredictability of I-76 traffic.

I think the parking situation in center city will exacerbate when Comcast II is finished construction and office space gets leased out.
Gas prices have never been a factor for me either in choosing my mode of transport; especially commuting. Depending on which assignment I might need my car at work - or will be at a place that cannot be accessed to and from my home very easily/efficiently via "other then personal auto". So that makes the decision. On days I know I will be exclusively in the office, I'll ride either SEPTA of my bike to work.

If I have to go into CC, I never drive there because of the parking. I think the last time I parked my car in CC was when I picked up a turkey at the Reading Terminal Mkt over five years ago; it was just too big for me to carry on the el. I have colleauges that work in CC that drive in over a hour earlier then they really need to be just to avoid the parking shenanigans you mention.
 #1320861  by trackwelder

the sarge wrote:
NorthPennLimited wrote: I have colleauges that work in CC that drive in over a hour earlier then they really need to be just to avoid the parking shenanigans you mention.
have they ever noticed those big silver loud things with the wires on top? i figured a guy like you might have mentioned them.
 #1320865  by the sarge

trackwelder wrote:have they ever noticed those big silver loud things with the wires on top? i figured a guy like you might have mentioned them.
Well, considering one of them used to commute on a big louder silver thing until 1981 and the other lives In the same general area....
 #1320945  by TrainPhotos

trackwelder wrote:
the sarge wrote:
NorthPennLimited wrote: I have colleauges that work in CC that drive in over a hour earlier then they really need to be just to avoid the parking shenanigans you mention.
have they ever noticed those big silver loud things with the wires on top? i figured a guy like you might have mentioned them.
There are several spots where roads and larger highways and interstates basically parallel rail lines. I have often wondered why people seem to mentally put them and the trains they might see using them as something in the background vs another transportation option.
 #1320946  by TrainPhotos

the sarge wrote:
trackwelder wrote:have they ever noticed those big silver loud things with the wires on top? i figured a guy like you might have mentioned them.
Well, considering one of them used to commute on a big louder silver thing until 1981 and the other lives In the same general area....
Are you referring to RDC? They seem to have been used by many transit authorities and other entities in north america.
 #1321441  by Bettertransitphilly

Are we seeing increases on the subway and el from all of the housing development in the city? Are more passengers getting on at Spring Garden and Girard because of the new housing in Northern Liberties or Fishtown? How about at Tasker Morris from the popularity of East Passyunk?