Railroad Forums 

• Septa real-time location data coming soon!

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1313759  by ChemiosMurphy

According to this article on PlanPhilly.com, Septa will soon be able to harvest real-time GPS data from their vehicles (regional rail, trolleys, busses, and subway). Can't wait for this to be rolled out.

It's absolutely amazing to see Septa flourishing after receiving a steady stream of funding courtesy of Act 89. Good stuff.
 #1313950  by sammy2009

I cant wait for this "The Scheduled 5:39 Media/Elwyn Train #2367 Next to Arrive..Making stops at Fernwood-Yeadon, Lansdowne,Gladstone, Clifton-Aldan" etc.....

I think this is a wonderful idea, at least on the subway platform people can atleast look at the schedule board and see the status. Instead of the usual looking over the platform lol even though that will still be done. I just wonder how this will work for the trolleys in the tunnel.
 #1313970  by tgolanos

sammy2009 wrote:I think this is a wonderful idea, at least on the subway platform people can atleast look at the schedule board and see the status. Instead of the usual looking over the platform lol even though that will still be done. I just wonder how this will work for the trolleys in the tunnel.
Probably just like any other rapid transit system around the world: A board with the next 3 or 4 services showing route number, destination, and time till departure. Ex -

10 Overbrook 1min
34 Angora 3min
36 Eastwick 6min
 #1317595  by radioboy

tgolanos wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:I think this is a wonderful idea, at least on the subway platform people can atleast look at the schedule board and see the status. Instead of the usual looking over the platform lol even though that will still be done. I just wonder how this will work for the trolleys in the tunnel.
Probably just like any other rapid transit system around the world: A board with the next 3 or 4 services showing route number, destination, and time till departure. Ex -
I think he means the technical implementation. I'd guess trolleys would use GPS above ground and then switch to whatever the subways are using once in the tunnel