Railroad Forums 

• 2015 Papal visit

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1306919  by ekt8750

Wouldn't NJT crews already be qualified between 30th and SHORE since they run the AC line or is that technically a separate ROW?
 #1306989  by andegold

How many NJT engineers/conductors are qualified for equipment moves to the AC line? While I know all qualifications from ACES would have expired long ago wouldn't those crews have an easier time of re-qualifying compared to those who have never traveled the line?
 #1306990  by CNJGeep

Lots of crews hold the qualifications to 30th Street.
 #1307358  by 25Hz

If NJT does run to 30th on the NEC, would it be an all electric affair, or diesel to avoid amtrak power use? Maybe diesel would be best to completely isolate their trains from any overhead power issues or requirements?
 #1307378  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:If NJT does run to 30th on the NEC, would it be an all electric affair, or diesel to avoid amtrak power use? Maybe diesel would be best to completely isolate their trains from any overhead power issues or requirements?
AMTRAK is closing one of the Hudson tubes in 2015 for superstorm Sandy related repairs.

The number of slots in and out of NYP will be reduced.

Don't count on NJT to provide service from NYP to PHL in any rail mode on the NEC. AMTRAK will have enough trouble getting its own trains through.

Try not to pick the colors of the new benches at an unbuilt station.
 #1307396  by bikentransit

Too bad restoring the corridor between Newark and West Trenton isn't an option. Shoving more trains between Newark and Philly via WT would add some capacity if the NEC is "crowded".
 #1307400  by nomis

I don't think there will be capacity issues like that, bike. Rather the slots between SEC and NYP will be very congested, weekend Amtrak + NEC service style only. If NJT runs a SEC, HOB or NWK train to PHL, there wouldn't be the congestion that a slot out of New York by itself would bring.
 #1307407  by Clearfield

All we're doing is moving the choke point.

There's simply no way to make this work well, just make it work as best as they can.
 #1307504  by Clearfield

But here are some questions to ponder.

Will NPT be ready for the Pope's visit, and what are the implications of the existing system in place vs. NPT being up, running and working properly?
 #1307684  by JeffK

Clearfield wrote:Will NPT be ready for the Pope's visit, and what are the implications of the existing system in place vs. NPT being up, running and working properly?
I realize this may be a semi-naive followup, but whether the system is running or not, how will SEPTA be able to deal with the large number of people who are coming from abroad? If NPT is running will it be able to handle non-US smartphones and cards? If NPT isn't running, what happens to the average European who's used to credit payments and TVMs, and boards the airport line only to find they need lots of good ol' 'murrican $ bills for their tickets?

And somewhat related, does SEPTA have any plans for "how to ride" guides in multiple languages? Will there be any opportunity for outside review prior to publication? (... thinking of the time one so-called guide led off with "Cash is the best way to pay your fare on SEPTA" ...)
 #1307699  by ekt8750

JeffK wrote:
Clearfield wrote:Will NPT be ready for the Pope's visit, and what are the implications of the existing system in place vs. NPT being up, running and working properly?
I realize this may be a semi-naive followup, but whether the system is running or not, how will SEPTA be able to deal with the large number of people who are coming from abroad? If NPT is running will it be able to handle non-US smartphones and cards?
Smartphones aren't an issue. They run the same software overseas as they do over here, Android and iOS. Only difference is the frequencies the phones communicate with towers on.
 #1307714  by R3 Passenger

Clearfield wrote:
25Hz wrote:If NJT does run to 30th on the NEC, would it be an all electric affair, or diesel to avoid amtrak power use? Maybe diesel would be best to completely isolate their trains from any overhead power issues or requirements?
AMTRAK is closing one of the Hudson tubes in 2015 for superstorm Sandy related repairs.

Don't count on NJT to provide service from NYP to PHL in any rail mode on the NEC. AMTRAK will have enough trouble getting its own trains through.

I am going to 'fess up and take responsibility for this one. After all, I was the one who floated the possibility of NJT handling TRE-PHL passengers. However, the method I was implying was extending regularly-scheduled trains beyond Trenton to Philadelphia. Not once did I mention New York Penn Station outside of describing the qualifications of NJT crews on the Northeast Corridor. The Hudson tunnels are outside the scope of this conversation, and I doubt that NJT would completely abandon all service on the Northeast Corridor. In whatever configuration that NJT decides to run service, I maintain my position on this idea.

But, back on topic, this will be a true test for SEPTA's NPT system. There are probably variations in NFC frequencies between the US and Europe based on difference in regulations, but I am not an expert in that field. Does SEPTA plan on selling preloaded farecards at any high-traffic stations?
 #1307775  by Clearfield

R3 Passenger wrote:But, back on topic, this will be a true test for SEPTA's NPT system. There are probably variations in NFC frequencies between the US and Europe based on difference in regulations, but I am not an expert in that field. Does SEPTA plan on selling preloaded farecards at any high-traffic stations?
Where did you get the idea that NPT will be up and running in 8 months? :-)
 #1307792  by R3 Passenger

Clearfield wrote:Where did you get the idea that NPT will be up and running in 8 months? :-)
Regional Rail is not the only rail transportation in Philadelphia. We have trolleys, subways, elevated, and a rare interurban line too! :-P

Have you checked out the new Dilworth Park concourse entrance yet, Mr. Clearfield? Or noticed some random NPT turnstiles popping up at a few el stations? Visitors have to get from their city-based hotels to the Parkway somehow.
 #1307845  by afiggatt

Clearfield wrote: AMTRAK is closing one of the Hudson tubes in 2015 for superstorm Sandy related repairs.

Amtrak is not closing one of the Hudson tunnels in 2015 for Sandy repairs. The plan is to close the two damaged East River tunnels, one at a time, maybe starting in late 2015. With four East River tunnels, the impact on Amtrak, LIRR, and NJT operations is manageable. The hope is that the major rebuild work to the existing Hudson river tunnels requiring the tunnel to be shut down for a year or longer can be postponed until after the 2 new tunnels are built and operating. Which will take 8-10 years if the funds can somehow be assembled in the next several years although that will be quite difficult to do.