Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Engineers want SEPTA to follow fatigue safety rules

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1305584  by 25Hz

We all get that. The system is a sad mess of patched, crumbling old grand and austere new stations, bridges that need major work or replaced, original and new traction power supply components, orphaned streetcar lines, neglected RRD lines left to rot, bus lines that keep being changed, combined, cut back.

If we need changes, why do we keep electing people that don't get the fact that robust transit is what makes a region around a city healthy and economically sustainable?

If fatigue rules are changed & more aggressive hiring program implemented, perhaps it would represent a small step on the journey to a SEPTA that actually works?
 #1305596  by morris&essex4ever

25Hz wrote:If we need changes, why do we keep electing people that don't get the fact that robust transit is what makes a region around a city healthy and economically sustainable?
Not everybody uses transit to get to where they need or want to go. And robust transit alone doesn't mean a city becomes healthy and economically sustainable.

I do agree that SEPTA is woefully underfunded and something needs to be done about
 #1306706  by 25Hz

morris&essex4ever wrote:
25Hz wrote:If we need changes, why do we keep electing people that don't get the fact that robust transit is what makes a region around a city healthy and economically sustainable?
Not everybody uses transit to get to where they need or want to go. And robust transit alone doesn't mean a city becomes healthy and economically sustainable.

I do agree that SEPTA is woefully underfunded and something needs to be done about
Becomes, no, but stays...... absolutely. In the end, it was political energy & corporate plotting that gave us what we have today, a shadow of what we once had, and so desperately need to have back in a modernized form that makes sense for our uses today.

You can't run more trains without more engineers, even on the lines that exist in service right now as of this post. Half hour service all day & hourly service overnight would be a remarkable and welcome change here in septaland, but as you said, funds are short in the first place let alone to go towards any type of tangible improvement. :)

I can't even get to the train on sundays & major holidays let alone hope for 30 minute headways as of right now..... and that's gotta change... things need to get better for them to get better, know what i'm saying? :)