Railroad Forums 

• RRD Headlights and Ditch Lights

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1304307  by Clearfield

The new Amtrak ACS-64's have high intensity LED array's for headlight and ditch light use. I was on the platform in Lancaster when train 656 came into the station. It was almost blinding.

Does anyone know if SEPTA is planning to begin a retrofit on the SLV's?

The new LED's are so much brighter than the traditional incandescent lamps.
 #1304395  by 25Hz

Based on my limited understanding of lighting electronics i will say that i think the power requirements for the two lamp types may require some kind of adapter. Incandescent lamps in most applications that i have seen are usually AC, and LED's are DC. For example, street lamps that i've seen switched to LED have either a box on the mounting structure or one big box where the circuit for all of them connects to utility mains.

From what we have seen and know of the subwayliners, one can only imagine the problems that might arise with changing them over if that is indeed the plan. I only hope they do their homework and find a solution that is reliable and not made of one off junk that the subwayliners themselves seem to be comprised.
 #1304419  by AlexC

25Hz wrote:Based on my limited understanding ...
I really cannot believe that I read a two paragraph post saying "i don't know."
I actually read it twice to be sure.

No wonder you have nearly 4600 posts.

If that's the post you're going to make, don't post at all.
 #1304552  by Limited-Clear

Why change something that works? The cost saving of LEDs won't be enough to cover the changing of the Vs over to accept LEDs, the current ones work just fine, as they have on the GEs for years and years
 #1304564  by the sarge

AlexC wrote:

Alex - it's like passing the scene of a bad car accident. You know you shouldn't look, but for some twisted reason, you do and regret it. 25 needs to edit his original post substituting "limited" with "Total lack of..."
Limited-Clear wrote:Why change something that works? The cost saving of LEDs won't be enough to cover the changing of the Vs over to accept LEDs, the current ones work just fine, as they have on the GEs for years and years
Exactly why why we won't see them on the SV's anytime soon; even though installing is no more complex then swapping out components - although, might be something done during a major overhaul in later years.
 #1304596  by Jersey_Mike

I've actually found the LED lamps on the ASC-86's to be much less bright than standard lamps. I can tell because older headlights used to oversaturate the CCD on my camera and the LED's don't.
 #1304638  by Clearfield

Limited-Clear wrote:Why change something that works? The cost saving of LEDs won't be enough to cover the changing of the Vs over to accept LEDs, the current ones work just fine, as they have on the GEs for years and years
The LED's may output more lumens and on the ditch lights are certainly more attention-getting.
 #1304646  by 25Hz

AlexC wrote:

I was attempting to sound humble, i actually know quite a bit about electronics, but ok.
 #1304860  by 25Hz

Jersey_Mike wrote:I've actually found the LED lamps on the ASC-86's to be much less bright than standard lamps. I can tell because older headlights used to oversaturate the CCD on my camera and the LED's don't.
Some LED's actually work on pulsing DC, which moderates the effective light output. Then you have the light spectrum output, which some image sensors have a different range of what frequencies they pick up. In the case of LED, the output frequency is more pure. An incandescent lamp is usually going to have a far broader range of emitted light, which can be interpreted as "more" to an image sensor even if lumens is identical.

For example, near IR is invisible to the human eye, but can be seen by many image sensors found in popular cameras, including those integrated into smartphones.

I personally think the LED's are the same brightness, but with a far narrower output spectrum. This is good for the people in the locomotive cab, as it gives a more accurate feedback of what color something is, which can increase contrast and overall visibility. :)
 #1304885  by Limited-Clear

What? How on earth did they manage before LED lights came out? i see this has turned into a battle of I know more about LEDs than you which isn't what the opening post was about, the question was asked if MUs would be retro fitted, the simple answer for now is no, there is no need to, the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, what they currently have has worked for years even decades, why change it.

25hz you state that you "think" they have the same brightness, doesn't that statement put the argument to rest?
 #1304969  by 25Hz

Limited-Clear wrote:What? How on earth did they manage before LED lights came out? i see this has turned into a battle of I know more about LEDs than you which isn't what the opening post was about, the question was asked if MUs would be retro fitted, the simple answer for now is no, there is no need to, the wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, what they currently have has worked for years even decades, why change it.

25hz you state that you "think" they have the same brightness, doesn't that statement put the argument to rest?
Yes. I doubt we will ever see them before a major overhaul if ever. Who knows how long we will even have these MU's anyway, might not even be worth the time & money.
 #1304982  by Quinn

Would the supply of incandescent lights available for railroad use force the change? Average consumers are seeing everyday lightbulbs change over to LEDs. I'm curious if the mandate for the common lighting that we all use goes as far to affect the types used in specialized industrial ways, such as the ditch lights. If so, it may become an issue of what comes first: the elimination of incandescent lighting or the end of service date for equipment that needs it.
 #1305047  by 25Hz

These are not going anywhere for a long time.
 #1305135  by Clearfield

The MTBF for LED's is MUCH longer than incandescents.

I wonder what the headlights and ditch lights are on most new MU's and locomotives on order and being delivered today.
 #1305177  by 25Hz

I would think they would use halogen with brass screw cap.