Railroad Forums 

• Reading Terminal Anniversary

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1301811  by trackwelder

great shots, thanks for sharing! i've been in that place many times over the last few years but it's nice to see what it should look like.
 #1301844  by glennk419

trackwelder wrote:great shots, thanks for sharing! i've been in that place many times over the last few years but it's nice to see what it should look like.
My pleasure, glad you enjoyed. Still hard to believe it's been this long.
 #1301890  by BuddCar711

And 6 days from now it will be the 30th annivesary of the opening of Jefferson (nee Market East) Station. They did a ceremonial coupling of a PC SL-IV and RDG SL-IV. I'm wondering what were the car numbers, and did each car still wore their respective logos for the ceremony?
 #1301894  by jackintosh11

BuddCar711 wrote:And 6 days from now it will be the 30th annivesary of the opening of Jefferson (nee Market East) Station. They did a ceremonial coupling of a PC SL-IV and RDG SL-IV. I'm wondering what were the car numbers, and did each car still wore their respective logos for the ceremony?
Didn't the first trains to serve Market East start running as a shuttle from Suburban on april 28th?
 #1302018  by ExCon90

I can't be sure of the date, but the first service was indeed a shuttle between Penn Center and Market East, while Reading Terminal was still in service. I can't remember when the complete R series of through trains started; it must have been a few days after the last train from Reading Terminal, after they connected the tunnel with the existing 9th St. Branch.
 #1302032  by MichaelBug

I also recall that the first service between Suburban & Market East began in the spring (late Aprii?) of 1984. I rode that shuttle many times that spring & summer. The running time was 3 minutes, but I can't recall the headway (may have been every 30 minutes).

The usual equipment was one of the St. Louies with special ad cards reading "WELCOME ABOARD SEPTA SHUTTLE".

Later on, on Labor Day that year, SEPTA began running all Paoli Line trains (only that line) through to Market East, while the other PRR side lines continued to terminate at Suburban until the tunnel was opened in November.
 #1302069  by Clearfield

And the Happy Cobbler.
 #1302132  by MACTRAXX

Everyone,

MB is correct.

SEPTA did begin shuttle service between Suburban Station and Market East in the Spring
of 1984 and they issued a special schedule for The SHUTTLE which was blue print on glossy white paper with the description that three minutes is all it takes and it was free...

Later in 1984 Paoli trains began originating and terminating at Market East until full service began in November 1984 and within days or weeks service from the Reading side was curtailed when a defective bridge was found at Columbia Avenue near the old Temple U Station and trains terminated at Logan and other locations until the bridge was repaired and through
service resumed in the then newly unified SEPTA Regional High Speed system.

The renaming to Regional Rail System occurred the next year in 1985...

MACTRAXX

@
 #1302382  by glennk419

MACTRAXX wrote:Everyone,

and within days or weeks service from the Reading side was curtailed when a defective bridge was found at Columbia Avenue near the old Temple U Station and trains terminated at Logan and other locations until the bridge was repaired and through service resumed in the then newly unified SEPTA Regional High Speed system.

The renaming to Regional Rail System occurred the next year in 1985...

MACTRAXX

@
Ah yes, the infamous Columbia Avenue Bridge / OLD Temple U station debacle. I had actually put that experience out of my mind but now (not so fondly) remember having to stand in the cattle chutes in the parking lot at Logan waiting for our trains. That certainly did put a tarnish on SEPTA's new gem at the time.
 #1302498  by motor

That debacle (that could've led to tragedy) prompted SEPTA to examine all its rail bridges, which ultimately led to RailWorks. Or so Gerry Williams tells us in Trains, Trolleys and Transit, his wonderful book on SEPTA's steel-wheeled transit services and their history.

motor
 #1302527  by Clearfield

motor wrote:That debacle (that could've led to tragedy) prompted SEPTA to examine all its rail bridges, which ultimately led to RailWorks. Or so Gerry Williams tells us in Trains, Trolleys and Transit, his wonderful book on SEPTA's steel-wheeled transit services and their history.

motor
Both the Reading and the PRR had a huge deferred maintenance infrastructure backlog which SEPTA inherited with no cash to fix. Both roads were heading toward bankruptcy and weren't spending the money they did have on things like bridges.........