Railroad Forums 

• SPAX 52 Repower

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1298950  by NorthPennLimited

Just when you were about to put 50's mug shot on a milk carton, now there are bids out to reporter 52.

http://www.septa.org/business/bid/100k/ ... 3-MEC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It'll be interesting to see how much money goes into repowering a half-century old locomotive, with unproven (non railroad) prime mover.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just scrap the entire white elephant fleet and buy a half-dozen used Geeps, MP-15's , Sw1500's, or F40PH locomotives from the aftermarket like LTEX or Sterling? Isn't it easier on the shop mechanics to have one universal fleet of diesel locomotives with one set of parts?
 #1299090  by glennk419

NorthPennLimited wrote:Just when you were about to put 50's mug shot on a milk carton, now there are bids out to reporter 52.

http://www.septa.org/business/bid/100k/ ... 3-MEC.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It'll be interesting to see how much money goes into repowering a half-century old locomotive, with unproven (non railroad) prime mover.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just scrap the entire white elephant fleet and buy a half-dozen used Geeps, MP-15's , Sw1500's, or F40PH locomotives from the aftermarket like LTEX or Sterling? Isn't it easier on the shop mechanics to have one universal fleet of diesel locomotives with one set of parts?
Decent four axle power is becoming increasingly rare and accordingly more expensive. Many old geeps and SW's have been scooped up by the rebuilders and gen set manufacturers. If the frame and trucks are in decent condition, repowering still makes sense as long as it's with a proven prime mover.
 #1299106  by Limited-Clear

If it's just the bid process it probably will be a while before it's sent out, currently they need 3 for the wash trains and 2 for the wire trains, doesn't leave much room for failures, let alone sending 52 away
 #1299117  by Tadman

glennk419 wrote: Decent four axle power is becoming increasingly rare and accordingly more expensive. Many old geeps and SW's have been scooped up by the rebuilders and gen set manufacturers. If the frame and trucks are in decent condition, repowering still makes sense as long as it's with a proven prime mover.
Great point. About five years ago I had a railroad manager tell me that good condition non-turbo 4-axle EMD's were selling for 50-100% more than comparable six-axle turbo power (given that we're discussing prior-generation power, not new or class-I). I don't know that the market is in the same pricing model today, but it's a concept worth thinking about.
 #1299142  by nomis

Radius of curves, especially those in Yard areas may be a non-starter without altering the physical plant. Who wants to hear that the new shiny 6-axle loco spends more time on the ground vs on the rails :)
 #1299223  by BuddCar711

jackintosh11 wrote:Why not get a 6-axle engine?
6-axle locos are great for freight (unintentionally made a rhyme) because freights don't have to deal with high-speed operation on tight curves, but lousy for commuter and intercity passenger service (unless you can find track as straight as the Shinkansen, ICE, or I forgot the name of that other bullet line). Those Republic locos that SEPTA has (as lousy as they are) are more desirable than the top-quality 6-axle locomotive today.
 #1299251  by 25Hz

BuddCar711 wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:Why not get a 6-axle engine?
6-axle locos are great for freight (unintentionally made a rhyme) because freights don't have to deal with high-speed operation on tight curves, but lousy for commuter and intercity passenger service (unless you can find track as straight as the Shinkansen, ICE, or I forgot the name of that other bullet line). Those Republic locos that SEPTA has (as lousy as they are) are more desirable than the top-quality 6-axle locomotive today.
LGV in france.

NS has been overhauling their MP's and many of their older 4 axle and some 6 axle locos to meet emissions requirements and update them to modern components.

Perhaps amtrak would be willing to part with one of its GP38H-3's with working HEP generator, or would those be too tall for the CCCT?
 #1299304  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:LGV in france.
Or even the TVG in France.
 #1299311  by Tadman

From what I understand, the TGV runs on a right of way called the LGV. They are pretty much the same, one is the train, one is the tracks.

TGV- Tren a Grande Vitesse
LGV- Lignes a Grande Vitesse
 #1299457  by SCB2525

Aren't Brookville's BL locomotives heavily based on Geeps? How have Metro North's worked out for them?
 #1299570  by Jersey_Mike

SCB2525 wrote:Aren't Brookville's BL locomotives heavily based on Geeps? How have Metro North's worked out for them?
From what I can tell they are new build locomotives. They use Blomburg B trucks which makes them look like Geeps. MPI and NRE also build new frame locomotives. Railpower was the one using the Geep and B-Boat frames, but idk if they are in business anymore. The remanufacture market is fairly diverse with players ranging from in house railroad shoppes to EMD.