Railroad Forums 

• Rule proposal

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1298244  by NorthPennLimited

I propose we make a rule that the remainder of October shall be free of ANY and ALL references to restoring service on the Newtown Line. It has about as much a chance of seeing steel wheels as the Perkiomen Branch, Plymouth Branch, or the Chester Valley Branch.

You can't read through a single discussion thread without finding SOMEBODY gunning for rails to Newtown.

All those in favor, post a YES VOTE.

If the majority wins, I propose anyone caught violating the October Newtown Branch rule gets a Charlie Horse. Second violation warrants a wedgie.
 #1298268  by scotty269

Let's just talk about the pampered Paoli line all the time.
 #1298270  by glennk419

Actually, I thought the Newtown conversations had pretty much died down since the flurry of comments regarding the most recent decimation of the line through Bryn Athyn.
 #1298271  by Clearfield

The Plymouth Branch is out of service?
 #1298358  by Limited-Clear

I agree...

But if septa were to restore the Newtown line with extra trains and all night service operated by ACS64 locomotives and 12 bi-levels, this thread wouldn't be needed
 #1298372  by CComMack

It's been like Godwin's Law in here: as the length of any thread increased, the probability of an inappropriate reference to Newtown approached 1. Make it stop, please.
 #1298411  by bikentransit

It's the line that should never have died. Too bad those who were responsible never saw justice and still have cushy jobs at 1234.

#1298677  by 25Hz

NorthPennLimited wrote:I propose we make a rule that the remainder of October shall be free of ANY and ALL references to restoring service on the Newtown Line. It has about as much a chance of seeing steel wheels as the Perkiomen Branch, Plymouth Branch, or the Chester Valley Branch.

You can't read through a single discussion thread without finding SOMEBODY gunning for rails to Newtown.

All those in favor, post a YES VOTE.

If the majority wins, I propose anyone caught violating the October Newtown Branch rule gets a Charlie Horse. Second violation warrants a wedgie.
Since you don't live in or near newtown, you may not understand the profound issues caused by automobile congestion that has arisen in the last 12 years. The 130 bus, which once had a route all throughout newtown township has been cut back to a single hourly round trip, the end point of which is useless to local residents. It is not, in any way at all, an alternative for driving, and all it does, is connect to other septa facilities on a sparse schedule.

If the line was put back in service, combined with a NJT west trenton service, it would dwindle the volume and length of peak hour automobile traffic, both AM, PM, and mid-day. We no longer have a "morning and evening rush hour" it's all day some days, just way worse during those times. It takes a true armchair expert to talk about this chunk of bucks county and not actually ever go here and observe. I have a hand clicker, i've counted the vehicles. The numbers have spiked in the last 3 years, with no sign of slowing. If you have some magical alternative, please do share, we are all so anxious to hear...
 #1298682  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:If you have some magical alternative, please do share, we are all so anxious to hear...
I do.

With Newtown now being linked (figuratively) to an NJT West Trenton service, I'm getting confused.

With Newtown restoration so important to you, why don't you attend the next public hearings on SEPTA service plans or even a SEPTA Board meeting and have your concerns heard by people who can actually act and/or respond to you? For the most part, this board is very informative, but believing that actual change will take place as a result of the rantings of many people here (including me) is a fantasy.
 #1298721  by Limited-Clear

More cars on the roads does not mean more ridership on rail lines, if say 40% of the said cars are actually going to a train station then the congestion will not change even if the Newtown line is reactivated, those same cars will now drive to a closer station, if people carpool and one now uses the newtown line and the other stays with the West Trenton line you have just doubled the amount of cars on the road for that original car.

You are highly unlikely to see NJT running to West Trenton, CSX doesn't like dealing with the passenger trains that already run on their lines, NJT is more interested in expanding their current services in and out of New York but that's for a different board.

Now can we talk about express trains on the chestnut hill east line, and someone start dishing out wedgies
 #1298727  by AlexC

The mention of the word Newtown is enough to lock any thread.

Even this one.