Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA overcrowding on Regional Rail

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1300622  by SCB2525

Acquisition of any NEW equipment is years off; the only way to ease overcrowding in the short-term is to acquire second-hand equipment.
 #1300760  by CComMack

jackintosh11 wrote:Does NJT still have the Comet IIIs?
Last I heard, they were a low priority for post-Sandy cleanup, having been swimming when NJT left them in Bay Head. I and my mold allergies say, "no, thank you".
 #1300820  by F-line to Dudley via Park

There's a 25-car unexercised option on NJT's MultiLevel order. I don't believe decision needs to be made on those until the 54-car option that MARC picked up on NJT's order are done, and those deliveries only began in June. Not enough to replace the full SEPTA fleet, but enough to retire the cab cars and Comet I's then add +7 cars in expansion capacity. Have to accept them with as-is NJT specs, but saves the cost of having to go through design pilot testing.
 #1300827  by ekt8750

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:There's a 25-car unexercised option on NJT's MultiLevel order. I don't believe decision needs to be made on those until the 54-car option that MARC picked up on NJT's order are done, and those deliveries only began in June. Not enough to replace the full SEPTA fleet, but enough to retire the cab cars and Comet I's then add +7 cars in expansion capacity. Have to accept them with as-is NJT specs, but saves the cost of having to go through design pilot testing.
All fine and dandy but are you going to have pulling them?
 #1300834  by CComMack

ekt8750 wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:There's a 25-car unexercised option on NJT's MultiLevel order. I don't believe decision needs to be made on those until the 54-car option that MARC picked up on NJT's order are done, and those deliveries only began in June. Not enough to replace the full SEPTA fleet, but enough to retire the cab cars and Comet I's then add +7 cars in expansion capacity. Have to accept them with as-is NJT specs, but saves the cost of having to go through design pilot testing.
AEM7-AC's will last at least a few years, well into the timeframe needed to procure new locos. Bombardier is bored and would gladly sell ALP-46 derivatives, and Siemens will presumptively sell Sprinter derivatives when it's done with Amtrak's 70 ACS-64s. What price those options will be remains to be seen...
 #1300839  by F-line to Dudley via Park

ekt8750 wrote:
6 (at least) of the remanufactured Amtrak AEM-7AC's, which are powered to haul 12-car Regionals. That is what the Amtrak engineers reported a month ago on the AEM7 Disposition thread on the Amtrak forum. If that plan changes, it changes. But that's the latest they have heard on the matter.

If SEPTA's equipment is shot, rush hour is overcrowded, and there's no money to clean-room a new loco order and a full-size coach order...they don't have a lot of awesome alternatives. Retired water-damaged Comet III's are not a feasible alternative. Retired MBTA BTC-3 coaches needing full rehab for rotted floors are not a feasible alternative. Worn-out MARC IIA coaches are not a feasible alternative. Obsolete ALP-44's from NJT's dead line with no parts availability are not a feasible alternative.

NJT's unexercised 25-car MLV option...that's a potentially feasible alternative. 6 Amtrak remans...that's not only feasible, but apparently a likely alternative.

This isn't hard.
 #1300923  by NorthPennLimited

Not to armchair quarterback, but the QUICK FIX is to pump money into the mechanical department, run the 4 shops around the clock 7 days per week and reduce the number of MU's that are on the OOS list for repairs and 92 day inspections.

More cars on the road = longer trains with less crowding.

Every time I go past the 2 Wayne Junction shops, I see a full house with MU's parked outside waiting to get in. If each shop is holding 15-20 cars X 4 shops, that's 60 to 80 cars that aren't hauling people each day.

I'm sure a fleet of equipment purchased during the Carter and Ford presidency doesn't have a long life out on the railroad before it needs some TLC in the shop. And you see just as many new cars in the shops as the old cars. (Not that I'm implying there is anything wrong with the craftsmanship of the new cars)
 #1300937  by 25Hz

NorthPennLimited wrote:Not to armchair quarterback, but the QUICK FIX is to pump money into the mechanical department, run the 4 shops around the clock 7 days per week and reduce the number of MU's that are on the OOS list for repairs and 92 day inspections.

More cars on the road = longer trains with less crowding.

Every time I go past the 2 Wayne Junction shops, I see a full house with MU's parked outside waiting to get in. If each shop is holding 15-20 cars X 4 shops, that's 60 to 80 cars that aren't hauling people each day.

I'm sure a fleet of equipment purchased during the Carter and Ford presidency doesn't have a long life out on the railroad before it needs some TLC in the shop. And you see just as many new cars in the shops as the old cars. (Not that I'm implying there is anything wrong with the craftsmanship of the new cars)
You sir just won the internet. Two internets, in fact. ;)

I just want my trains to run on time, with no asinine schedule gaps & not be silverliner 5. Other than that, i honestly don't really care what is done, but more equipment availability and not running the service like a broken bus route might help.
 #1301015  by zebrasepta

SEPTA says they WILL buy bi-levels and they even state getting new Locomotives
In order to accomodate ridership growth on the Regional Railroad, SEPTA will purchase bi-level cars. A fleet study is being conducted to assess the appropriate type and quantity of new cars in order to increase ridership capacity.
Work includes providing additional capacity to meet increased ridership through the purchase of new electric locomotives to replace the existing AEM-7 locomotives and push-pull cars. Project Budget $120M.
http://septa.org/rebuilding/vehicles/bi-level.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://septa.org/rebuilding/vehicles/locomotives.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1301028  by Push&Pull Master

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
6 (at least) of the remanufactured Amtrak AEM-7AC's, which are powered to haul 12-car Regionals. That is what the Amtrak engineers reported a month ago on the AEM7 Disposition thread on the Amtrak forum. If that plan changes, it changes. But that's the latest they have heard on the matter.

If SEPTA's equipment is shot, rush hour is overcrowded, and there's no money to clean-room a new loco order and a full-size coach order...they don't have a lot of awesome alternatives. Retired water-damaged Comet III's are not a feasible alternative. Retired MBTA BTC-3 coaches needing full rehab for rotted floors are not a feasible alternative. Worn-out MARC IIA coaches are not a feasible alternative. Obsolete ALP-44's from NJT's dead line with no parts availability are not a feasible alternative.

NJT's unexercised 25-car MLV option...that's a potentially feasible alternative. 6 Amtrak remans...that's not only feasible, but apparently a likely alternative.

This isn't hard.
Septa could always also see if Kawasaki could make an updated version of the C3s. I'm pretty sure they are short enough to fit in the tunnels. Also, with Septa planning only 36 bilevel coaches, would they be replacing any of the Bombers which are already being overhauled?
 #1301088  by 25Hz

C3 is high level only. Would not work.
 #1301157  by SCB2525

Whens the last time they made a Comet though? 1996?

It would be like asking Boeing to make some new 727s and also heavily modify it.
 #1301195  by zebrasepta

SCB2525 wrote:Whens the last time they made a Comet though? 1996?

It would be like asking Boeing to make some new 727s and also heavily modify it.
are you confusing c3 as comet 3?