Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA gets 87 million for repairs

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1294429  by zebrasepta

The Obama administration has given SEPTA about $87 million to protect transit properties from future storms, officials said Monday.

The $86.7 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration's emergency relief program will be used for seven projects:

Railroad embankment and slope stabilization, $18.7 million. To stabilize and harden slopes along a series of 19th century railroad cuts in Montgomery and Delaware Counties used by the Warminster, West Trenton, Lansdale/Doylestown, and Media/Elwyn Regional Rail lines.
Railroad signal power reinforcement, $32 million. To reinforce signal power systems across the Regional Rail network, where non-insulated cable and old power-distribution systems have proven highly vulnerable to extreme weather.
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/2 ... cture.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1294450  by sammy2009

I've been reading about this since last night. Glad they was able to get some money to do so with those projects. SANDY really hit SEPTA,NJ TRANSIT,PATH,MTA,LIRR hard. I know MBTA got some money but their's wasn't as much as ours.
 #1294562  by NorthPennLimited

A lot of the damage on NJT was self-inflicted in the form of leaving equipment stored in tidal areas ahead of the storm surge.

Track and tunnel damage....yea I can buy that. But it's ashame we the taxpayers have to subsidize poor planning and bad decisions to leave equipment in the Meadowlands and Hoboken.
 #1294605  by sammy2009

NorthPennLimited wrote:A lot of the damage on NJT was self-inflicted in the form of leaving equipment stored in tidal areas ahead of the storm surge.

Track and tunnel damage....yea I can buy that. But it's ashame we the taxpayers have to subsidize poor planning and bad decisions to leave equipment in the Meadowlands and Hoboken.
Nj transit pulled a SEPTA during "SANDY"....When SEPTA left their trains @Trenton Transit and their cars was flooded during IRENE ...And they was the laughing stock. Couldnt NJT fit more equipment @Morrisville ?.
 #1294664  by Clearfield

jackintosh11 wrote:Couldn't SEPTA have sent any equipment that was in danger out further west on the keystone corridor? Maybe that's what they should have done.
I believe that the only SEPTA equipment damaged by Sandy was a push-pull set that no one moved from Trenton right next to a creek. It could and should have been moved. The new AGM for Operations would not have let that happen.
 #1294684  by nomis

Clearfield wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:Couldn't SEPTA have sent any equipment that was in danger out further west on the keystone corridor? Maybe that's what they should have done.
I believe that the only SEPTA equipment damaged by Sandy was a push-pull set that no one moved from Trenton right next to a creek. It could and should have been moved. The new AGM for Operations would not have let that happen.
Remember Remember, the MU's at Trenton's Embankment :)

file photo
 #1294721  by Clearfield

nomis wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
Remember Remember, the MU's at Trenton's Embankment :)

file photo
Thanks Nomis. SEPTA had the largest fleet of full submersible trains.
 #1294772  by CComMack

Seems an awful double standard, doesn't it, that when we (rightly) mock SEPTA for losing a push-pull set to derp during Irene, everybody jumps in to pile on, but when we mock NJT for losing a third of their fleet during Sandy, we get pushback from NJT employees screaming "YOU DON'T KNOW MAN YOU WEREN'T THERE"?
 #1294784  by ekt8750

CComMack wrote:Seems an awful double standard, doesn't it, that when we (rightly) mock SEPTA for losing a push-pull set to derp during Irene, everybody jumps in to pile on, but when we mock NJT for losing a third of their fleet during Sandy, we get pushback from NJT employees screaming "YOU DON'T KNOW MAN YOU WEREN'T THERE"?
SEPTA is low hanging fruit for armchair quarterbacks and NJT is seen as some big example for how everyone else should run their railroads. I think its unfair to be honest as this isn't your father's ineptly run SEPTA anymore.
 #1295842  by 25Hz

ekt8750 wrote:
CComMack wrote:Seems an awful double standard, doesn't it, that when we (rightly) mock SEPTA for losing a push-pull set to derp during Irene, everybody jumps in to pile on, but when we mock NJT for losing a third of their fleet during Sandy, we get pushback from NJT employees screaming "YOU DON'T KNOW MAN YOU WEREN'T THERE"?
SEPTA is low hanging fruit for armchair quarterbacks and NJT is seen as some big example for how everyone else should run their railroads. I think its unfair to be honest as this isn't your father's ineptly run SEPTA anymore.
Oh boy, i'd love to believe that. I guess we'll see a year or two from now, eh?

There are a lot of small bridges all over the system that if not looked after could end up with the line washing out in a big rain dump, especially if it dumps on snow like back in 96. If we can get the riskiest, most vital of these flood-proof, that would be marvelous. I know a lot of these guys have been replaced & whatnot, so it shouldn't be that hard to get a list of the remaining potential trouble spots.
 #1295867  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:I know a lot of these guys have been replaced & whatnot, so it shouldn't be that hard to get a list of the remaining potential trouble spots.
Why don't you ask for it from SEPTA? It should be a public document.
 #1296262  by 25Hz

Clearfield wrote:
25Hz wrote:I know a lot of these guys have been replaced & whatnot, so it shouldn't be that hard to get a list of the remaining potential trouble spots.
Why don't you ask for it from SEPTA? It should be a public document.
I believe the railroad section of DOT may have a list. They had a list of bridges & other projects under NS etc. I'll have to do some digging to figure out where the info is buried. If a line like west trenton gets a new rail bridge or repairs to a structure, it may appear under CSX vs SEPTA, since the line is shared usage with CSX owning between neshaminy falls and ewing. The 3rd track extension is a good example, in this case it showing up under SEPTA as a budget item (though i forget who's doing the work).

When i get around to looking i'll post anything useful that i find here. :)