Railroad Forums 

• I MUST be misreading this...

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1292613  by Mumphrey O. Yamm

I see here the 2014 railroad map that the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation put out this last January:
ftp://ftp.dot.state.pa.us/public/pdf/BP ... parail.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On it, the Stony Creek Branch and the North Penn Branch (between Lansdale and Quakertown) are shown as being active commuter lines. I’ve heard nothing about SEPTA running trains on these tracks; indeed, everything I can find out about this tells me that they are not running anything here. Does anybody know anything about this? Is it a mistake? Does the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation know something we don’t? I’d be thrilled if this is true, but how on earth could anybody believe that SEPTA is expanding service when they seem to be temperamentally or ideologically dead set against expanding rail service anywhere, any time for any reason?
 #1292620  by NJTSmurf

PennDOT's map shows ownership by active rail operators and tracakage rights, not active or inactive rail lines. Septa is not actively using either line.
 #1293005  by the sarge

Spend an additional 5 minutes to review the map, there is sufficient documentation in the margins that explain all identification used in the map - like putting brackets [ ] around the RR named designates a segment as "Non-Operator Owner", ( ) "Trackage Rights", or { } Leasing Operator.

Mumphrey O. Yamm wrote:Ah, I see. I didn’t think they were using them for passengers. Makes it a little confusing, though, not to show in some way, what the lines are used for...