Railroad Forums 

• Grow America Act

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1292813  by Push&Pull Master

BPP1999 wrote:I agree with the above poster. If SEPTA could get some "manna from heaven" to help them knock off some of the larger, more necessary backlog of system improvements/stabilization, then they would presumably have less excuses to defer/ignore expansion (or, more applicably, restoration) projects. Of course they might instead choose to plate their stations in gold instead of expanding at that point.

I certainly don't understand how, after 35 years, the only two projects that are close to shovel-ready are a lousy 3-mile restoration to Wawa and an extremely expensive project to KOP, of which few details have yet to be hammered.

It would seem that along with Quakertown and WC, Pottstown could be put together quickly, no, since that's been studied 800 times already and the rail infrastructure is already there.
Well, the two projects that are on SEPTA's radar have made some big progress lately.

Wawa is at least shovel ready and some track work was done on it a few years ago. It really isn't SEPTA's fault that this has taken forever because they were relying on I80 tolls to get this project built and then the Feds shot down the toll plan meaning no money for a while. Now with Act 89, they can finally get going on it when the much needed infrastructure projects are finished first.

KOP fortunately has been making lots of progress over the past year or two. As someone said above, they have already worked out 3 main alignments/trunks and are releasing the next tier of alternatives this fall and the DEIS will be released next year.
Also, SEPTA has been working with Upper Merion on it and convincing the NIMBYs that it is a good project (which means the 202 alignment will probably be scratched out).

The other projects also have a positive future: SEPTA took over the Navy Yard extension this year and preparing to do an EIS soon, The Boulevard BRT project just got TIGER money, Atglen has a funding source in Penndot, and Pennridge is supposed to get rebooted.
 #1292819  by JeffK

Push/Pull Master wrote:KOP fortunately has been making lots of progress over the past year or two. ... SEPTA has been working with Upper Merion on it and convincing the NIMBYs that it is a good project (which means the 202 alignment will probably be scratched out).
I've attended all of the hearings and there's been a noticeable decline in the number of NIMBY comments as plans have become more concrete. SEPTA and UM have done a lot to address concerns from people who are convinced that they'll be subject to freight-train noise levels and/or that (it sickens me to type this) " 'those people' will bring crime to the suburbs".

Unfortunately the 202 alignment may be out for more than simply NIMBY opposition. While it would probably garner many more intermediate riders, it faces a number of practical obstacles because of how built-up Route 202 has become. It's the price of decades of delays that have allowed non-transit-oriented development to fill in what might have been practical routings years ago. My understanding is that even the proposed high-level stop inside the Mall is very likely off the table; Simon Properties want to move ahead with an enclosed connection between the Court and Plaza and aren't willing to take the risk of waiting for the extension to be finalized.

And OK, I'll try to keep the tone down about the rest of the state. Sometimes it's a bit difficult to close eyes and ears to comments out of Harrisburg like "SEPTA only serves people on welfare" .... :(
 #1292840  by Suburban Station

Push/Pull Master wrote:
BPP1999 wrote:I agree with the above poster. If SEPTA could get some "manna from heaven" to help them knock off some of the larger, more necessary backlog of system improvements/stabilization, then they would presumably have less excuses to defer/ignore expansion (or, more applicably, restoration) projects. Of course they might instead choose to plate their stations in gold instead of expanding at that point.

I certainly don't understand how, after 35 years, the only two projects that are close to shovel-ready are a lousy 3-mile restoration to Wawa and an extremely expensive project to KOP, of which few details have yet to be hammered.

It would seem that along with Quakertown and WC, Pottstown could be put together quickly, no, since that's been studied 800 times already and the rail infrastructure is already there.
Well, the two projects that are on SEPTA's radar have made some big progress lately.

Wawa is at least shovel ready and some track work was done on it a few years ago. It really isn't SEPTA's fault that this has taken forever because they were relying on I80 tolls to get this project built and then the Feds shot down the toll plan meaning no money for a while. Now with Act 89, they can finally get going on it when the much needed infrastructure projects are finished first.

KOP fortunately has been making lots of progress over the past year or two. As someone said above, they have already worked out 3 main alignments/trunks and are releasing the next tier of alternatives this fall and the DEIS will be released next year.
Also, SEPTA has been working with Upper Merion on it and convincing the NIMBYs that it is a good project (which means the 202 alignment will probably be scratched out).

The other projects also have a positive future: SEPTA took over the Navy Yard extension this year and preparing to do an EIS soon, The Boulevard BRT project just got TIGER money, Atglen has a funding source in Penndot, and Pennridge is supposed to get rebooted.
Wawa should be scratched as its unnecessarily expensive. They're going three miles and are going to relocate the yard. Kill it in favor of a full west chester extension. Atglen is another nonsense project. It's 1400 people, not exactly railworthy. The interlocking as it exists today would allow for parks burg service if it were important (it's not). Parkes burg has service quakertown and Pottstown do not.
 #1292843  by SCB2525

I don't think Atglen should be scrapped completely but I don't think it should be a high priority. I've said it before and I'll say it again; it seems Chester County would be more apt to champion Chadds Ford/Kennett Square/Oxford service above Atglen service. I'll admit I'm not from the area but have driven around both areas, and the Rt 1 corridor seems like the more congested one.
 #1292845  by Suburban Station

SCB2525 wrote:I don't think Atglen should be scrapped completely but I don't think it should be a high priority. I've said it before and I'll say it again; it seems Chester County would be more apt to champion Chadds Ford/Kennett Square/Oxford service above Atglen service. I'll admit I'm not from the area but have driven around both areas, and the Rt 1 corridor seems like the more congested one.
you could walk from Atglen to parkesburg.
There are two chesco regions that deserve better sevice first. ..phoenixville which is nowhere near any rail service and even has poor highway access and Kennett sq area. Maybe you could turn the old right if way into a brt project?
 #1292851  by Clearfield

Atglen will happen. All they need is a parking lot and a platform.
 #1292912  by Suburban Station

Clearfield wrote:Atglen will happen. All they need is a parking lot and a platform.
Atglen is idiotic. I know what plan you refer to and it's not even in atglen. Complete waste of taxpayer money when parkesburg is already going to get a makeover. Septa will have to pay access fees for no benefit. Of course the sheer wastefulNess of the project means it will happen before projects that matter
Low level trolleys Otoh would add a lot of value. Is there a provider that could build them immediately?
 #1292931  by Nasadowsk

I'm sure there's plenty of builders who could bis on a RFP for low floor trolleys. Is that part low floor or all low floor? They make both now...
 #1292932  by SCB2525

Momentum to replace the K cars with ADA compliant (low floor) trolleys is underway. It's a long, slow process.
 #1292941  by Suburban Station

SCB2525 wrote:Momentum to replace the K cars with ADA compliant (low floor) trolleys is underway. It's a long, slow process.
Just wondering if a grant could speed the process. They can't come fast enough for the 15. The retrofit mean wheelchairs disrupt the schedule more than a bus (where it's also a problem). In theory low floor trolleys should make it faster than a bus since wheelchairs do not have to be strapped in afaik when they meet ada on trolleys.
 #1292954  by Clearfield

Suburban Station wrote:
Clearfield wrote:Atglen will happen. All they need is a parking lot and a platform.
Atglen is idiotic. I know what plan you refer to and it's not even in atglen. Complete waste of taxpayer money when parkesburg is already going to get a makeover. Septa will have to pay access fees for no benefit.
Atglen is a PennDot project.
 #1292967  by bikentransit

Atglen is all about the exurban development lobby. Lehigh County and Bucks County need to collude on pushing restoration to Bethlehem/Allentown.
 #1292970  by Suburban Station

Clearfield wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:
Atglen is idiotic. I know what plan you refer to and it's not even in atglen. Complete waste of taxpayer money when parkesburg is already going to get a makeover. Septa will have to pay access fees for no benefit.
the keystone stops at parkesburg. Why would penndot build another station within walking distance in a rural area? Afaik it's a chester county supported project from decades ago. What's a cheap station these days twenty million? It'll be a long time before dropping twenty million on a top a couple miles from another small stop makes any sense. Hey penndot. Do you job, add that second pittsburgh train...maybe put some money in track improvements.
 #1292971  by Suburban Station

jackintosh11 wrote:What's wrong with the trolleys on the 15? I thought they were fully rebuilt.
They require the operator to get out of the trolley and walk to the back door to aid wheelchair passengers which is a source of frequent delays.