Railroad Forums 

• New Regional Rail Schedules (NEW EXP. TRAINS)

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1306704  by 25Hz

The RRD needs to be more walkable and more bus connected. It's like every bus or train is out there on its own unconnected from everything else, even if the intent is to connect them with train stations.
 #1307098  by zebrasepta

New Schedules for December 14th, 2014
http://www.septa.org/schedules/upcoming.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chestnut Hill West Line
Train 8230 will replace Train 9830

Media/Elwyn
Train 3240 will replace Train 9370

Manayunk/Norristown
Weekday Train schedules have been adjusted to accommodate the conclusion of weekday track work

Paoli/Thorndale
Early Morning weekday inbound (towards Center City) Express Train 1502 will now make an additional station stop at Malvern Station

Wilmington/Newark
Weekday Outbound (towards Newark) Train 273 will now service Wilmington Station
Weekday inbound (towards Center City) Train 274 will now operate from Wilmington Station
Train 7239: New Afternoon Express service from Center City and serving University City, Chester, Marcus Hook, Claymont, Wilmington, Churchmans Crossing, and Newark Stations
Weekday outbound (towards Newark) Train 7241 will now operate local service between Temple University and Wilmington Stations
Select midday weekday Trains will now operate through service to Norristown
 #1307312  by rslitman

Amtrak7 wrote:New this year: 9569, 9561 (GVF), 6378, 9251, 6576 will not operate on Christmas Eve. Budget cut?
No. I don't know if it's mentioned on the new schedule or not, but they will be running earlier, leaving Center City in the 12:00-1:00 pm (or 1200-1300 if that's your style) hour. There are signs about this posted in the stations.

For once, SEPTA has done something logical - running extra midday trains on a day when a lot of people will be leaving work early. The notice hints that this may also be done during storms and on other days when businesses may be closing early.
 #1307360  by 25Hz

rslitman wrote:
Amtrak7 wrote:New this year: 9569, 9561 (GVF), 6378, 9251, 6576 will not operate on Christmas Eve. Budget cut?
No. I don't know if it's mentioned on the new schedule or not, but they will be running earlier, leaving Center City in the 12:00-1:00 pm (or 1200-1300 if that's your style) hour. There are signs about this posted in the stations.

For once, SEPTA has done something logical - running extra midday trains on a day when a lot of people will be leaving work early. The notice hints that this may also be done during storms and on other days when businesses may be closing early.
Their storm plans from the last big snowstorm if i remember correctly basically spread the PM rush out from 1 to 4 PM then service trailed off after that & eventually everything was shut when the heaviest snowfall was forecast.

Maybe SEPTA should invest in a few big plow trucks to clear specific routes for both employees & some buses, and a few smaller ones that can hi-rail around bypassing all the bogged down roads and stay ahead of the snowfall at station parking lots etc vs let it be a huge mess?? might be a good idea?
 #1307369  by zebrasepta

rslitman wrote:

the modified schedules are on SEPTA's site
http://www.septa.org/service/rail/midday-schedule.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 2nd train number is the changed train number for the midday

Trenton 9745
4:50 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:19 p.m.
Suburban: 12:24 p.m.
30th St.: 12:28 p.m.

Warminster 6444
5:02 p.m.
30th: 11:57 a.m.
Suburban: 12:02 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:07 p.m.

Norristown 6248
5:05 p.m.
30th: 12:08 p.m.
Suburban: 12:13 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:18 p.m.

Thorndale 9561
5:08 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:02 p.m.
Suburban: 12:07 p.m.
30th: 12:11 p.m.

Newark 9251
5:09 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:11 p.m.
Suburban: 12:16 p.m.
30th: 12:20 p.m.

West Trenton 6378
5:14 p.m.
30th: 12:12 p.m.
Suburban: 12:17 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:22 p.m.

Elwyn 9365
5:22 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:08 p.m.
Suburban: 12:13 p.m.
30th: 12:17 p.m.

Doylestown 6576
5:11 p.m.
30th: 12:12 p.m.
Suburban: 12:17 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:22 p.m.

Malvern 9569
6:03 p.m.
Jefferson: 12:35 p.m.
Suburban: 12:40 p.m.
30th: 12:44 p.m.
 #1307409  by jackintosh11

25Hz wrote: Maybe SEPTA should invest in a few big plow trucks to clear specific routes for both employees & some buses, and a few smaller ones that can hi-rail around bypassing all the bogged down roads and stay ahead of the snowfall at station parking lots etc vs let it be a huge mess?? might be a good idea?
The issue with hi rail plows is that most parking lots don't have a way to get the trucks off the rails and on the lot.
 #1307502  by NorthPennLimited

Early rush hour service is a great idea for X-mas eve.

My office will likely be abandoned after the holiday party.

I don't ever remember an effort like this being done before, but this is certainly worth a Kudos to SEPTA.

I'm guessing all these early express trains are the push-pulls going home early?

Now.......can we get late morning express service on Super Bowl Monday for all the hung-over office workers who oversleep?
 #1307707  by ExCon90

Newark train 9251 is normally push-pull. The early-quit schedule on holiday eves has been the usual practice on Metro-North for some years (to the extent of being published with appropriate notes in the regular December schedules), and I think also the Long Island.
 #1307974  by rslitman

ExCon90 wrote:Newark train 9251 is normally push-pull. The early-quit schedule on holiday eves has been the usual practice on Metro-North for some years (to the extent of being published with appropriate notes in the regular December schedules), and I think also the Long Island.
And I think NJT, too.
 #1308019  by Amtrak7

ExCon90 wrote:Newark train 9251 is normally push-pull. The early-quit schedule on holiday eves has been the usual practice on Metro-North for some years (to the extent of being published with appropriate notes in the regular December schedules), and I think also the Long Island.
NJT, LIRR, MNR, MARC, METRA, NICTD all implement some degree of early quit service. Also VRE if you count consist shifting.

That leaves SEPTA as one of the largest systems without one.
 #1308059  by Limited-Clear

I will say it is good to see improvements, but it is sad to read on here that many people feel it's not enough, give them an inch and they want a mile, Septa doesn't have masses of cash for studies and projects that may or may not work, nor do they have extra buses or trains that they can pull out of their back pocket, the evening extra is formed of a couple of cars that used to be on the local that split at Wilmington, so they haven't had to find any extra cars, a crew used to ride down to bring back half from Wilmington, so the crew was already there, this extra was actually better utilization of current resources.

Now something that baffled me is why Weekend Warminster service ends so early, surely that can be addressed, after all west trenton, trenton and Doylestown have service much later than Warminster
 #1312069  by R3 Passenger

Apparently, the December 24 express service ran so smoothly that SEPTA decided to adopt it as an "early exit" schedule if weather forces Center City to close up early.

http://www.septa.org/service/rail/midday-schedule.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now, to gear up for the Great Groundhog Day Storm of 2015...