Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA to increase service on CHE and Norristown lines

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1291271  by zebrasepta

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/09/0 ... -tomorrow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Regional Rail ridership is up 50 percent over the past 10 years," he said. "And we have made some improvements in our infrastructure, including installing turnback switches on the Manayunk/Norristown and Chestnut Hill East lines."These switches will permit short-turning of trains, a key element in providing more frequent service. Knueppel said that with the improvements, it will be possible for SEPTA to operate trains on these two lines at half-hourly intervals off-peak, and that such service is likely to be implemented in the next few years.
 #1291285  by Push&Pull Master

If these new off peak trains on the Norristown Line only go as far as Miquon, I'll be kind of dissapointed but I'm still happy about half hour service all day (though it won't be for a few years). I thought I read somewhere that half hour off peak service on the West Trenton Line is planned as well, but in the long term.
 #1291491  by SCB2525

They have to mean Norristown only. There are no interlockings between Wind and Spring, and literal short turning CHE trains makes less than no sense. Some peak hour limiteds (CHE, Wyndmoor, Sedgwick, Washington Ln, express to Temple) would make sense to try out though.

What I know they do plan to do is to board all inbound/outbound CHE trains at the current outbound high platform at CHE so as to eliminate the low intervening track platform for inbounds.
 #1291506  by jackintosh11

SCB2525 wrote:What I know they do plan to do is to board all inbound/outbound CHE trains at the current outbound high platform at CHE so as to eliminate the low intervening track platform for inbounds.
Do you mean at Wayne Junction? CHE doesn't have any high platforms. Also, I would rather see them increase service on the Chestnut Hill West line. CHW is wheelchair accessible, while CHE isn't.
 #1291510  by zebrasepta

SCB2525 wrote:They have to mean Norristown only. There are no interlockings between Wind and Spring, and literal short turning CHE trains makes less than no sense. Some peak hour limiteds (CHE, Wyndmoor, Sedgwick, Washington Ln, express to Temple) would make sense to try out though.

What I know they do plan to do is to board all inbound/outbound CHE trains at the current outbound high platform at CHE so as to eliminate the low intervening track platform for inbounds.
not according to Knueppel
Knueppel explained that ridership trends warrant the improvement, and infrastructure improvements on some lines make it possible.

"Regional Rail ridership is up 50 percent over the past 10 years," he said. "And we have made some improvements in our infrastructure, including installing turnback switches on the Manayunk/Norristown and Chestnut Hill East lines."
 #1291528  by ekt8750

That has to be a misprint. They just finished building an interlocking on the Chestnut Hill West line at the point of the old Westmorland station. East doesn't have any interlockings on the branch except at the end of the line.
 #1291544  by zebrasepta

ekt8750 wrote:That has to be a misprint. They just finished building an interlocking on the Chestnut Hill West line at the point of the old Westmorland station. East doesn't have any interlockings on the branch except at the end of the line.
maybe you're right... but they'd have to pay Amtrak more money wouldn't they?
 #1291555  by SCB2525

jackintosh11 wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:What I know they do plan to do is to board all inbound/outbound CHE trains at the current outbound high platform at CHE so as to eliminate the low intervening track platform for inbounds.
Do you mean at Wayne Junction? CHE doesn't have any high platforms. Also, I would rather see them increase service on the Chestnut Hill West line. CHW is wheelchair accessible, while CHE isn't.
Yes.
 #1291558  by Push&Pull Master

Based on what i've read here and in the article, I think SEPTA was referring to short turns on the Norristown Line. And they did in fact install new switches at Chestnut Hill East a few years ago which is what they may be referencing. When you put it together, it makes sense. There would be new off-peak trains on the Norristown Line to Miquon (where is a turnback switch and siding) and on the CHE to the end of the line, trading off equipment. The Chestnut Hill West theory doesn't make sense because why would they run short turns to just Queen Lane? There will probably be more details in a year or two. But maybe they are planning short turns? I'm just confused by the article for some reason.
 #1291570  by SCB2525

No, I really think they were just mentioned together with respect to 30min service. Not only does short-turning make no sense, THERE IS NOWHERE TO SHORT TURN ON THE CHESTNUT HILL EAST BRANCH.

If you're looking to cut down time on the branch, limiteds still make the most sense.
 #1291662  by Push&Pull Master

SCB2525 wrote:No, I really think they were just mentioned together with respect to 30min service. Not only does short-turning make no sense, THERE IS NOWHERE TO SHORT TURN ON THE CHESTNUT HILL EAST BRANCH.

If you're looking to cut down time on the branch, limiteds still make the most sense.
Yeah, you're right. I meant to say that maybe they plan on installing a turn back somewhere on the line, though that's unlikely and would be stupid. The short turns would definitely be just for the Norristown Line. Sorry about that. :P
 #1291801  by ekt8750

They actually started doing that yesterday.
 #1292653  by SCB2525

I agree, CHE and Fox Chase need 30 min service.

They should also consult with the city about possibly ponying up a smidge more money to make all stations within city limits Zone 1. There is something to be said about having it set so that at any given point in the city, you can choose to pay slow bus (or fast subway if you're lucky) fare X, or if you care to get into center city faster and more comfortably, you can pay Regional Rail fare Y. ANYWHERE in the city.

They should also do a study as to the ideal ratio of these X and Y fares so as to best balance ridership and utilization of facilities/service/capacity, and then permanently link this ratio so that you don't have situations where for a time, regional rail is more expensive relative to surface transit than it was immediately prior. Then perhaps many of these stations (and entire lines) won't be so "underutilized" and "lightly ridden".