SEPTA to increase service on CHE and Norristown lines

Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

ExCon90

Re: SEPTA to increase service on CHE and Norristown lines

Post by ExCon90 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:03 pm

With the coal and lumber business pretty well gone in that territory, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't any. I was just ranting about what seems to be a common assumption that freight doesn't matter.

braves

Post by braves » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:57 am

The Trenton Line should get half hour service during the middays on weekdays to provide more connections to NJ Transit Northeast Corridor at Trenton since they have half hour service as well throughout the day.

BuddCar711

Post by BuddCar711 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:57 am

braves wrote:The Trenton Line should get half hour service during the middays on weekdays to provide more connections to NJ Transit Northeast Corridor at Trenton since they have half hour service as well throughout the day.
What about weekends?

25Hz

Post by 25Hz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:47 pm

SCB2525 wrote:And I'll say again; bullhockey.

Basically, such a statement precludes any expansion on the Reading side. I find it hard to believe.

Increasing frequencies on the reading side will have to come eventually, as the packed conditions on some trains border on unsafe/you could miss your stop. I think they need to replace a few key substations before they attempt this, though. From what i gather, the reading side is a lot worse off than most people realize.

A high level replacement program on the reading side could help maintain OTP with current or increased trains per hour, but we all know how likely that is.
Next stop the square, journal square station next!

25Hz

Post by 25Hz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:50 pm

BuddCar711 wrote:
braves wrote:The Trenton Line should get half hour service during the middays on weekdays to provide more connections to NJ Transit Northeast Corridor at Trenton since they have half hour service as well throughout the day.
What about weekends?
Yes, and weekends too. Plus, there is more than just NEC trains to connect to at trenton.

Clearfield

Post by Clearfield » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:01 pm

25Hz wrote:A high level replacement program on the reading side could help maintain OTP with current or increased trains per hour, but we all know how likely that is.
The only stations not high level on the Reading TRUNK are North Broad which sees limited service, Elkins, and Jenkintown which is a bottleneck. Expect to see Jenkintown first. That is the biggest bang for the buck. That and more SLV's will not only improve OTP but SHOULD speed up line schedules and reduce padding.
"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".............. Spock

My opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of any organization, Association, or Authority.

25Hz

Post by 25Hz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:02 pm

Clearfield wrote:
25Hz wrote:A high level replacement program on the reading side could help maintain OTP with current or increased trains per hour, but we all know how likely that is.
The only stations not high level on the Reading TRUNK are North Broad which sees limited service, Elkins, and Jenkintown which is a bottleneck. Expect to see Jenkintown first. That is the biggest bang for the buck. That and more SLV's will not only improve OTP but SHOULD speed up line schedules and reduce padding.
Mmm, yea i think they needed to wait till that bridge was completed. Supposedly the next bridge inbound needs to be replaced too, so that may delay things or not.

It's like playing chess where the pieces are the board.

Clearfield

Post by Clearfield » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:37 am

25Hz wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
Mmm, yea i think they needed to wait till that bridge was completed. Supposedly the next bridge inbound needs to be replaced too, so that may delay things or not.

It's like playing chess where the pieces are the board.
According to SEPTA:

Jenkintown Station on the Regional Rail Mainline Improvements to the existing station building, and accessibility improvements.
This station will receive new ADA compliant high‐level platforms; new passenger shelters; accessible stairs, ramps, sidewalks and handrails/guardrails; new signage; new lighting; stormwater management systems and landscaping.

Design 2015, Construction 2019 ‐ 2020 $25.32 M
"The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few, or the one".............. Spock

My opinions expressed here represent my own and not those of any organization, Association, or Authority.

Trackseventeen
Location: 12yrs before I was born, the PRR "Red Arrow Flyer" Crashed behind my house.

Post by Trackseventeen » Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:42 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:One other issue about the connector would be the Fox Chase (R8) would have no PRR side companion if the CHW is switched to the RDG side.
Yes it would.... Fox Chase-Bryn Mawr Locals.
900,000 tons of steel, made to roll
The brakes don't work and this grade's so steep
her engines sure to blow...
900,000 tons of steel, out of control
She's more a roller coaster, than the train I used to know.

ExCon90

Post by ExCon90 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:27 pm

I believe the route R4 was reserved for that service when the R numbers were implemented. (There was a 15-minute headway between Bryn Mawr And Suburban Station "back in the day," with every other train continuing to Paoli -- it would have been nice to see it restored.) R1 was to be Airport-West Trenton; I think CHW was to be paired with Media/Elwyn as the R3, and the designation R8 was to have been retired.

zebrasepta

Post by zebrasepta » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:14 pm

i'm wondering if they need more yard space since they eventually will have to order more EMU's in the future and more cars than the current fleet of silverliner IV's and to replace them and also since they're planning to increase service and there's overcrowding issues

jackintosh11

Post by jackintosh11 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:25 pm

Chestnut Hill East has a currently unused yard track, and they could start leaving a set on track 2 at terminal stations. Tracks 5 and 0 at suburban could be used too.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXu4mb ... 8cuxblPB9g Videos, including SEPTA time lapses.

Clearfield

Post by Clearfield » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:35 pm

zebrasepta wrote:i'm wondering if they need more yard space since they eventually will have to order more EMU's in the future and more cars than the current fleet of silverliner IV's and to replace them and also since they're planning to increase service and there's overcrowding issues
The rehab of the yard space at CHE was done to make room for cars while SEPTA was taking delivery of the SLV's while still holding the SLII and SLIII cars.

Suburban Station

Post by Suburban Station » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 pm

ExCon90 wrote:I believe the route R4 was reserved for that service when the R numbers were implemented. (There was a 15-minute headway between Bryn Mawr And Suburban Station "back in the day," with every other train continuing to Paoli -- it would have been nice to see it restored.) R1 was to be Airport-West Trenton; I think CHW was to be paired with Media/Elwyn as the R3, and the designation R8 was to have been retired.
I'd like to see 20 minute service on the main line. an local to bryn mawr, express to Paoli, local to thorndale, local to Malvern, express to bryn mawr, local to thorndale

Return to “SEPTA (and PATCO)”