Railroad Forums 

• Late 1974 Class Field Trip..."Odd" Train On Wilmington Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1276767  by SubwayTim

I think I may have brought this up a long time ago...but my curiosity has really gotten the best of me on this.
Back in December 1974 when I was in 4th grade, my class went on a field trip by train to Center City, Philadelphia to visit the Enchanted Christmas Village at Lit Brothers Department Store on Market Street. The train we boarded in Marcus Hook was quite different...it did not consist of Silverliner II's, III's or (the brand new at the time) IV's. The train's exterior very much resembled the original Metroliners, having a "tubular-like" appearance (the sides being curved or "bowed"), with the interiors having bench-style reversible walk-over seats (with padding on both sides of the seat backs). However, I don't remember if the seating arrangement was 3X2 or 2X2. Also, between the coupled cars was the black accordion-like seal. Does anyone recall a train that fits my description running on the Regional Rails back in 1974??? I believe back then, Penn Central was still operating the Regional Rail lines and I'm wondering if they may have been testing or "experimenting" with different trains before the Silverliner IV's went into service and we just happened to get one of those "experimental" trains. I know our return trip back to Marcus Hook was on a train of old PRR MP54's!
 #1276814  by R36 Combine Coach

The tubular or fuselage shaped body is puzzling. The only such cars would have been the Metroliner or Amfleet (or SPV). Since it was late '74, perhaps an Amfleet prototype since the Amfleets would debut the following summer (1975)?

I suspect these might have been the 11 Metroliners (820-830) ordered for Southeastern Pennsylvania service. Some would be overhauled in the 1979-80 upgrade program and converted into push-pull cab units.