Railroad Forums 

• New Lansdale station at Ninth Avenue

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1272162  by Push&Pull Master

http://www.thereporteronline.com/genera ... on-parking" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Borough officials announced Monday night that the transit agency has started discussions on the possibility of constructing temporary parking, with the possibility of a new train station in the future, near the intersection of Ninth Street and Shaw Avenue.
 #1272402  by Push&Pull Master

25Hz wrote:Gosh i hope not. Terrible location, plus what abut a double track extension? I am against this.
The station may not happen. The article is more on temporary parking there for the lost spaces during garage construction. Even though it's a little close to both Lansdale and Fortuna, it would be a busy station with the planned TOD adjacent to the site and it will have a fairly sized parking lot for Lansdale overflow even after the garage is built. However, I could see Fortuna eventually closed if this station is built.
 #1272433  by 25Hz

My worry is it not only axes expansion past landsdale on both the doylestown branch (extending double track) and the line to quakertown, but it also would move the station away from the downtown to some unpleasant brownfield behind a row of buildings. I sincerely hope this is just for parking and temporary.
 #1272445  by SCB2525

Did you not read others comments to the effect of the "brownfield" is being developed? Also, there is no way in hell that this station would replace Lansdale.

I'm not a huge fan of the idea of a new station so close to another but it makes some sense. I think it would be smart to try and broker a smidge more land than just the station to build a bigger yard; Lansdale MU yard is a bit small and there's a LOT of land to be had at the 9th St location.

The parking garage at Lansdale I don't understand; extension up the Bethlehem Branch would likely mitigate the need for the foreseeable future.
 #1272453  by Limited-Clear

The yard at Lansdale is perfect for the morning starts that they have there, right size to fit all the required cars for the morning trains, if they are cutting down parking and opening a temporary lot why don't they provide a shuttle bus to the main station like is run for commuters at the huge Cornwells Heights station for that mega parking lots
 #1272486  by NorthPennLimited

Limited-Clear wrote:The yard at Lansdale is perfect for the morning starts that they have there, right size to fit all the required cars for the morning trains, if they are cutting down parking and opening a temporary lot why don't they provide a shuttle bus to the main station like is run for commuters at the huge Cornwells Heights station for that mega parking lots
I like that idea better.
 #1272534  by 25Hz

NorthPennLimited wrote:
Limited-Clear wrote:The yard at Lansdale is perfect for the morning starts that they have there, right size to fit all the required cars for the morning trains, if they are cutting down parking and opening a temporary lot why don't they provide a shuttle bus to the main station like is run for commuters at the huge Cornwells Heights station for that mega parking lots
I like that idea better.
+1

Plus, they store sets on the doylestown branch & yard on top of landsdale.
 #1272648  by ChrisinAbington

Having grown up in Lansdale with family still there, this announcement makes sense and is no surprise. The American Olean Tile property has been a glimmer in the borough's eye for years. I remember hearing new station ideas about 15 years ago about the same time the last big station/parking rehab at Lansdale was completed. It's not about the current station, it's about the improved access to what I'll still call American Olean. I don't know the details behind what the current plans for the property contain, but it is a big amount of space in the borough, and that it wouldn't fit well as a rehabbed park particularly. There's going to be lots of people working there, and probably living there at some point.
Now as for the Lansdale parking lots, the private garage is going up as the Madison parking lot will be turned into a multi-storied condo development. Their plans looked good to me as the new dwellings will be basically right at the Lansdale station itself, and the private garage will handle both new residents and possibly some of the cars that used to park at the lot for Main St businesses and commuter parking. If SEPTA wants to double down on layered parking at their station lots and put in a skybridge, I have no complaints. It's right in the middle of the borough, potentially offers access to businesses, and may free up some land near the station. Now if they keep the day rate low, that's a better question...
So before you jump off a cliff or foam at the mouth (especially you 25) about how this is a typical SEPTA boondoggle, just keep in mind that this is actually land use planning at work. Get people walking and taking the train in town instead of driving. Yes, it's a shame for Fortuna (I used to walk to the station from my house), but good for more people hopefully in the long run.
 #1272724  by 25Hz

ChrisinAbington wrote:Having grown up in Lansdale with family still there, this announcement makes sense and is no surprise. The American Olean Tile property has been a glimmer in the borough's eye for years. I remember hearing new station ideas about 15 years ago about the same time the last big station/parking rehab at Lansdale was completed. It's not about the current station, it's about the improved access to what I'll still call American Olean. I don't know the details behind what the current plans for the property contain, but it is a big amount of space in the borough, and that it wouldn't fit well as a rehabbed park particularly. There's going to be lots of people working there, and probably living there at some point.
Now as for the Lansdale parking lots, the private garage is going up as the Madison parking lot will be turned into a multi-storied condo development. Their plans looked good to me as the new dwellings will be basically right at the Lansdale station itself, and the private garage will handle both new residents and possibly some of the cars that used to park at the lot for Main St businesses and commuter parking. If SEPTA wants to double down on layered parking at their station lots and put in a skybridge, I have no complaints. It's right in the middle of the borough, potentially offers access to businesses, and may free up some land near the station. Now if they keep the day rate low, that's a better question...
So before you jump off a cliff or foam at the mouth (especially you 25) about how this is a typical SEPTA boondoggle, just keep in mind that this is actually land use planning at work. Get people walking and taking the train in town instead of driving. Yes, it's a shame for Fortuna (I used to walk to the station from my house), but good for more people hopefully in the long run.
I'm not foaming of anything, thank you very much.

A station there would effectively kill any real capacity expansion on the doylestown branch AND kill any expansion towards quakertown.

Smart land use? They all ready have a station there. It is not smart land use to move the station away from the downtown core.

Please do not patronize me with comments about walking, as some residents can't or have great difficulty walking.

Right now they can store a few sets leaving one track through to doylestown. Where would those trains stage at the new station????

If it's anything more than a temporary lot, then it'll be a sign to me to abandon the little hope i have left of RRD actually becoming BETTER in my lifetime. Thus far it's only gotten worse.
 #1272732  by Push&Pull Master

25Hz wrote:
ChrisinAbington wrote:Having grown up in Lansdale with family still there, this announcement makes sense and is no surprise. The American Olean Tile property has been a glimmer in the borough's eye for years. I remember hearing new station ideas about 15 years ago about the same time the last big station/parking rehab at Lansdale was completed. It's not about the current station, it's about the improved access to what I'll still call American Olean. I don't know the details behind what the current plans for the property contain, but it is a big amount of space in the borough, and that it wouldn't fit well as a rehabbed park particularly. There's going to be lots of people working there, and probably living there at some point.
I'm not foaming of anything, thank you very much.

A station there would effectively kill any real capacity expansion on the doylestown branch AND kill any expansion towards quakertown.

Smart land use? They all ready have a station there. It is not smart land use to move the station away from the downtown core.

Please do not patronize me with comments about walking, as some residents can't or have great difficulty walking.

Right now they can store a few sets leaving one track through to doylestown. Where would those trains stage at the new station????

If it's anything more than a temporary lot, then it'll be a sign to me to abandon the little hope i have left of RRD actually becoming BETTER in my lifetime. Thus far it's only gotten worse.
25hz, How does this kill expansion in that area. A new station at 9th Street would be an ADDITION to the regional rail system. Lansdale station will stay exactly where it is right now, except there will be a parking garage at the site to replace the Madison lot. Quakertown isn't on the radar because Bucks County won't/can't pay for it and it's actually on hold due to changes to FTA funding grants. A new station won't prevent restoration of Bethlehem Branch service to Pennridge and beyond. Regarding the Doylestown branch, how does the station affect the yard? During rush hour, presumably only the Doylestown expresses would make the stop and the sets would stay at the yard like right now. SEPTA has done a lot with the Doylestown Branch, increasing the max speed between LAND and SCHOOL to 50 mph and installing a siding north of Link Belt for half hour Colmar service and speeding up off-peak Doylestown trains. What do you want from SEPTA, a second track between Lansdale and Doylestown? Keep dreaming. I would think you would be happy about a new station and TOD because it's some type of expansion which you are a huge advocate for.