Railroad Forums 

• potential amtrak aem7 lease

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1283279  by NorthPennLimited

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just a chance for locomotive builders to send SEPTA proposals with technical specs for consideration. Then SEPTA can make a wish list.

Now SEPTA has to check their wallet and then put out a request for bids to build a certain locomotive that meet's SEPTA's technical specification list.

Then the contract to build goes to the lowest bidder?
 #1283314  by sammy2009

Clearfield wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:This should be snazzy to hear ....and see a model designed. Some people predicted this. So i guess Bombardier can make the other rail cars....and we need either two door-ends , or three door locations. ;) lol.
The only difference between the SEPTA version and the AMTRAK version will be the road numbers and paint job.
I'll be looking forward to it. ;););)
 #1283316  by sammy2009

NorthPennLimited wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just a chance for locomotive builders to send SEPTA proposals with technical specs for consideration. Then SEPTA can make a wish list.

Now SEPTA has to check their wallet and then put out a request for bids to build a certain locomotive that meet's SEPTA's technical specification list.

I'm not sure but I'm sure SEPTA takes it all into consideration. It may be quality versus price ya know but who knows. I think delivery schedule may play a part in decision-making I would hope. After those ROTEM ppl I dont know lol.
 #1283440  by Clearfield

NorthPennLimited wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is just a chance for locomotive builders to send SEPTA proposals with technical specs for consideration. Then SEPTA can make a wish list.

SEPTA will ultimately tack on the number of locomotives they need to the existing AMTRAK order from Siemens. SEPTA lacks the expertise to customize a locomotive.
 #1283452  by NorthPennLimited

SEPTA will ultimately tack on the number of locomotives they need to the existing AMTRAK order from Siemens. SEPTA lacks the expertise to customize a locomotive.[/quote]

Yea, That seems evident from their diesel fleet. Sad when you need 2 locomotives to pull a 6 car ballast train or rail train.
 #1283472  by sammy2009

Clearfield wrote:

SEPTA will ultimately tack on the number of locomotives they need to the existing AMTRAK order from Siemens. SEPTA lacks the expertise to customize a locomotive.
What does it mean to tack on the order already from AMTRAK ?....is it to get the same model type and specifications , and order a specific amount for them ?
 #1283477  by F-line to Dudley via Park

sammy2009 wrote:
Clearfield wrote:

What does it mean to tack on the order already from AMTRAK ?....is it to get the same model type and specifications , and order a specific amount for them ?
The ACS-64 is stupifyingly overpowered for SEPTA's needs. Chances are Siemens already has an ACS-46 or something that it's showing to SEPTA and MARC with more commuter rail-appropriate horsepower. Putting a fully-derived but less powerful engine into the same package is pretty trivial. Just not trivial enough to be a literal continuation of the Amtrak order. They will need a couple more years of AEM-7 service--current or bolstered with ex-AMTK rentals--before such a derivative rolls off the Siemens assembly line.
 #1283486  by nomis

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:
Clearfield wrote:

The ACS-64 is stupifyingly overpowered for SEPTA's needs. Chances are Siemens already has an ACS-46 or something that it's showing to SEPTA and MARC with more commuter rail-appropriate horsepower. Putting a fully-derived but less powerful engine into the same package is pretty trivial. Just not trivial enough to be a literal continuation of the Amtrak order. They will need a couple more years of AEM-7 service--current or bolstered with ex-AMTK rentals--before such a derivative rolls off the Siemens assembly line.
To note: any de-rating in HP from the Amtrak version to the Commuter version should only be software based ...
 #1283544  by MattW

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
sammy2009 wrote:
Clearfield wrote:

Why are they overpowered for SEPTA? Wouldn't the higher horsepower mean better acceleration which is arguably more important for a commuter rail service than a longer-distance service?
 #1283577  by The EGE

The ACS-64s are capable of pulling 14 Amfleet-type cars at 135 mph, or 18 cars at 125 mph. You don't need that for 7-car SEPTA trains at 90mph, even to get them up to speed.
 #1283597  by 25Hz

The EGE wrote:The ACS-64s are capable of pulling 14 Amfleet-type cars at 135 mph, or 18 cars at 125 mph. You don't need that for 7-car SEPTA trains at 90mph, even to get them up to speed.
As mentioned above, this can be changed in the software. It would be far cheaper to add on to a big order vs 8-10 relatively customized power component layout. I am guessing MARC will add on to the amtrak order & have the software changed after delivery.
 #1283605  by MattW

25Hz wrote:
The EGE wrote:The ACS-64s are capable of pulling 14 Amfleet-type cars at 135 mph, or 18 cars at 125 mph. You don't need that for 7-car SEPTA trains at 90mph, even to get them up to speed.
As mentioned above, this can be changed in the software. It would be far cheaper to add on to a big order vs 8-10 relatively customized power component layout. I am guessing MARC will add on to the amtrak order & have the software changed after delivery.
I thought MARC was going all-diesel? Anyways, I still don't see a technical reason to cripple the engines in software. Why don't they need the power that's available to them?
 #1283646  by NorthPennLimited

More Horsepower = faster acceleration, you are correct.

This is why you see 3 locomotives 12,000hp on a UPS or trailer train, and only 2 locomotives on a mixed freight train. Those extra 4,000 horses on the UPS train are there to get the train back up to track speed after the train crosses over within an interlocking, or clears a speed restriction.

More horsepower in a SEPTA commuter application would mean the same thing, especially where they are making start/stops every mile or so.

The only reason I would see SEPTA limiting the locomotive's output, is to save the substations on the Reading side from a huge draw on the power grid. Don't they have a timetable restriction that you can't run more than 6 MU's on the Reading side due to the fragile substation networks?
 #1283653  by 25Hz

MARC going all diesel? have not heard that one.

The substations do need replacing, but i've only heard of restrictions on hot days to limit power draw. I have ridden on & seen longer than 6 car trains via west trenton line. Doylestown can handle longer trains, but usually they are 3-4 cars. Thats the only part of the system that may have length restrictions due to the way the siding(s) are set up, but dont quote me on that, just a guess.
 #1283656  by nomis

There are several power related restrictions on the Reading side ... limiting overall, or having an RDG side power switch+relay [that the software interprets] to change max power draw may be a Commuter customization.