Railroad Forums 

• potential amtrak aem7 lease

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1274062  by Limited-Clear

Why would septa get units that have been rebuilt and run better than their own just to take parts off and try to keep the ones that are worse off running, we will all just have to wait and see what happens, nothing confirming anything has been posted, maybe septa is looking into double heading their push pulls for better reliability, or maybe they want to borrow the amtrak engines because they are acses set up already and could use them for testing on the septa system, let's just wait and see
 #1274070  by NorthPennLimited

Limited-Clear wrote:Why would septa get units that have been rebuilt and run better than their own just to take parts off and try to keep the ones that are worse off running, let's just wait and see

"...............are you familiar with middle and upper management at SEPTA?
 #1274385  by 25Hz

I agree that leasing used locos vs ordering new is a bad idea for SEPTA.

Personally I think they just need for the push-pull issues of the ACS-64 to be worked out & drop a 1-1 replacement order.
 #1274459  by AmTransit

This past March during rules class I was speaking to one of the Bombardier techs at the club about various projects, he said SEPTA was looking into possibly purchasing ALP-46B locomotives.
 #1274480  by CComMack

25Hz wrote:I agree that leasing used locos vs ordering new is a bad idea for SEPTA.

Personally I think they just need for the push-pull issues of the ACS-64 to be worked out & drop a 1-1 replacement order.
8th Notch wrote:Maybe they are leasing vs buying new now for a reason...
Hush, you! Your so called "logic" and "reading the other posters in the thread" will get you nowhere here!
 #1274754  by sammy2009

AmTransit wrote:This past March during rules class I was speaking to one of the Bombardier techs at the club about various projects, he said SEPTA was looking into possibly purchasing ALP-46B locomotives.
I hope SEPTA gets the order from Bombardier...i think those trains would be a great asset to the SEPTA System....I think it is best that SEPTA gets a new order. But if AMTRAK wants to lease their AEM7'S until SEPTA gets new trains then so be it.
 #1274788  by Clearfield

sammy2009 wrote:But if AMTRAK wants to lease their AEM7'S until SEPTA gets new trains then so be it.
I don't have an inside track (no pun intended) on this, but I do know that the AMTRAK AEM7's are in better condition than SEPTA's AEM7's and ALP44 having been converted to AC operation and overhauled.

None of SEPTA's locomotives have ever been overhauled because they were needed in revenue service with no spares.

I also don't believe obtaining those particular locomotives from AMTRAK will have an impact on SEPTA's add-on order for Sprinters. This temporary move just keeps things rolling with better reliability.

A smart move IMHO,
 #1274818  by SCB2525

Yes, it absolutely makes sense for SEPTA to lease Amtrak's AEM7AC's as a stop-gap, especially if the chart Fan Railer posted is to be believed and they are "5" on a scale of 1-5 for reliability. The current ones certainly aren't. It would be remarkably stupid if they did in fact simply use them for parts though.

I'm not so sure SEPTA should get ALP46's as has been said here. I had read that they are based on a locomotive designed for inter-city service and not frequent stops. The Sprinter should do better in that role.
 #1274873  by 25Hz

25Hz wrote:I think they just need for the push-pull issues of the ACS-64 to be worked out & drop a 1-1 replacement order.

For emphasis. A year isn't going to kill the septa locos.
 #1274928  by SCB2525

What would be so bad about leasing a group of perfectly good locomotives for a year or two provided they aren't lemons? The current AEM7s are in terrible order.
 #1274968  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:
25Hz wrote:For emphasis. A year isn't going to kill the septa locos.
You can express your 'emphasis' the next time you are on a stalled train with a dead SEPTA AEM7 locomotive.