Railroad Forums 

• potential amtrak aem7 lease

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1277391  by SCB2525

dowlingm wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:I'm not so sure SEPTA should get ALP46's as has been said here. I had read that they are based on a locomotive designed for inter-city service and not frequent stops. The Sprinter should do better in that role.
*blinks* so SEPTA should pass over a locomotive in US commuter service (ALP46) for one in US intercity service (ACS64)?

Fair enough.
 #1279910  by ekt8750

NJTArrow2 wrote:Just a random question here but what kind of brakes do the push pull sets use?
Treads
 #1279981  by South Jersey Budd

They do not have an electric brake like the NJT equipment. It's a 26-LIC that is self lapping like most others. The PS-68 on the SEPTA SL-IV's are manual lapping. And the SEPTA ALP-44 has a EPIC 3102 and does not have electric hold like the NJT ALP's.

The SEPTA coaches have tread brakes only, no disc brakes. You can see them smoking on the Trenton Push Pull set sometimes.
 #1279994  by 25Hz

South Jersey Budd wrote:They do not have an electric brake like the NJT equipment. It's a 26-LIC that is self lapping like most others. The PS-68 on the SEPTA SL-IV's are manual lapping. And the SEPTA ALP-44 has a EPIC 3102 and does not have electric hold like the NJT ALP's.

The SEPTA coaches have tread brakes only, no disc brakes. You can see them smoking on the Trenton Push Pull set sometimes.
Any decent speed push pull express run will put out a cloud of brake dust braking into a station stop or into a speed restriction area. If the wind is right, it comes into the cars.
 #1280032  by South Jersey Budd

25Hz wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:They do not have an electric brake like the NJT equipment. It's a 26-LIC that is self lapping like most others. The PS-68 on the SEPTA SL-IV's are manual lapping. And the SEPTA ALP-44 has a EPIC 3102 and does not have electric hold like the NJT ALP's.

Any decent speed push pull express run will put out a cloud of brake dust braking into a station stop or into a speed restriction area. If the wind is right, it comes into the cars.
In my experience, the first few stops or slow downs do not have that effect until the brakes heat up, then an experienced engineer can tell you that they must be a little more caution and conservative to mitigate the effects of "brake fade" in regards to their stopping distance.
 #1280043  by 8th Notch

Nothing like a set where they just changed all of the brake shoes, feels like you have very little braking effort until you break em in.
 #1280215  by ChrisU

Thanks was curious.
 #1280238  by Tadman

25Hz wrote:Any decent speed push pull express run will put out a cloud of brake dust braking into a station stop or into a speed restriction area. If the wind is right, it comes into the cars.
I always find this interesting. 90% of my rides are on electric MU's that make extensive use of dynamics, so when I get on a diesel hauled train the brake smell is always new and quite salient to me. It's like a first time ride on a train despite almost daily rides on the L.
 #1283201  by aem7

Word around 1234 is that Seimens is looking good for the new locomotives.
 #1283205  by Push&Pull Master

aem7 wrote:Word around 1234 is that Seimens is looking good for the new locomotives.
Thanks aem7 for the update. Also, do you know when the decision is to be made on new locomotives. If so, I would greatly appreciate it. Keep up the good work.
 #1283262  by sammy2009

Push/Pull Master wrote:
aem7 wrote:Word around 1234 is that Seimens is looking good for the new locomotives.
Thanks aem7 for the update. Also, do you know when the decision is to be made on new locomotives. If so, I would greatly appreciate it. Keep up the good work.

This should be snazzy to hear ....and see a model designed. Some people predicted this. So i guess Bombardier can make the other rail cars....and we need either two door-ends , or three door locations. ;) lol.
 #1283264  by Clearfield

sammy2009 wrote:This should be snazzy to hear ....and see a model designed. Some people predicted this. So i guess Bombardier can make the other rail cars....and we need either two door-ends , or three door locations. ;) lol.
The only difference between the SEPTA version and the AMTRAK version will be the road numbers and paint job.