Railroad Forums 

• potential amtrak aem7 lease

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1275003  by aem7

The proposal for the new locomotives should hit the market in the next month or so, with a response time by suitable vendors by September. As of now, Seimens and Bombardier are the top contenders. As for the multi-levels, they may hit the market by November / December.
 #1275012  by Limited-Clear

Has anyone noticed the Sprinter units are not yet running anything in Push mode, there are still issues to be worked out, Septa getting Amtraks surplus reliable remans is to be honest a very good move, will be interesting to see the well known Amtrak liveried units with tacky Septa logos covering the Amtrak "wings/swoosh"
 #1275086  by sammy2009

aem7 wrote:The proposal for the new locomotives should hit the market in the next month or so, with a response time by suitable vendors by September. As of now, Seimens and Bombardier are the top contenders. As for the multi-levels, they may hit the market by November / December.
That's great to hear ;)....has SEPTA started doing their measurements for the multi levels and tunnels and bridges ? This really makes me happy. Some new rolling stock. I would so love a SIEMENS locomotive in SEPTA LIVERY.
 #1275132  by scotty269

sammy2009 wrote:
aem7 wrote:The proposal for the new locomotives should hit the market in the next month or so, with a response time by suitable vendors by September. As of now, Seimens and Bombardier are the top contenders. As for the multi-levels, they may hit the market by November / December.
That's great to hear ;)....has SEPTA started doing their measurements for the multi levels and tunnels and bridges ? This really makes me happy. Some new rolling stock. I would so love a SIEMENS locomotive in SEPTA LIVERY.
What's so special about it?
 #1275171  by aem7

"That's great to hear ;)....has SEPTA started doing their measurements for the multi levels and tunnels and bridges ? This really makes me happy. Some new rolling stock. I would so love a SIEMENS locomotive in SEPTA LIVERY.
sammy2009"

The Bombardier multilevels at NJT will fit today on the SEPTA system. They are of the proper height. The Rotem MBTA multilevels would need to be lowered about 6 - 8 inches. Boston has no catanery and can run the higher cars.
 #1275174  by dowlingm

SCB2525 wrote:I'm not so sure SEPTA should get ALP46's as has been said here. I had read that they are based on a locomotive designed for inter-city service and not frequent stops. The Sprinter should do better in that role.
*blinks* so SEPTA should pass over a locomotive in US commuter service (ALP46) for one in US intercity service (ACS64)?
 #1275176  by BuddSilverliner269

aem7 wrote:"That's great to hear ;)....has SEPTA started doing their measurements for the multi levels and tunnels and bridges ? This really makes me happy. Some new rolling stock. I would so love a SIEMENS locomotive in SEPTA LIVERY.
sammy2009"

The Bombardier multilevels at NJT will fit today on the SEPTA system. They are of the proper height. The Rotem MBTA multilevels would need to be lowered about 6 - 8 inches. Boston has no catanery and can run the higher cars.
Correction, Boston dies have catenary on the NEC and the Rotem cars routinely run under the catenary.
 #1275184  by aem7

I stand corrected on the catanery issue in Boston. But the Rotem cars are still too high for SEPTA territory. I'm sure they're still looking to bid for the SEPTA multilevels in the future with the appropriate heights.
 #1275236  by sammy2009

Wasn't SEPTA /ROTEM in some type of mess when the delivery of the silverliner v's was late ? Forget rotem bomb.has a good track record. ROTEM seems full with MBTA / DENVER ORDERS.
 #1276511  by Silverliner II

South Jersey Budd wrote:This would be a smart move for SEPTA until they can get new equipment. AEM7 reliability issues are a daily occurrence as I know twice this week the morning set to Wilmington / Newark didn't make it.

Technical question: I think they should be but are AMTRAK locomotives compatible HEP wise with SEPTA coaches?
Yes, they are fully compatible.
The Bombardier multilevels at NJT will fit today on the SEPTA system. They are of the proper height.
SEPTA is (and rightly so) doing a full clearance study on the system (estimated to take over a year) before even determining if the Bombardier NJT-type multilevels will fit on the SEPTA system. It is best to eliminate ALL possible issues before making a purchase. Not all the clearance issues are of the vertical height variety. NJT found that out during their own clearance testing and as a result, their multilevels do have some specific route restrictions on crossover moves around the system and certain platforms at Hoboken.

I am quite critical of SEPTA for even dangling the multilevel carrot at the public meetings without having even done the needed evaluations to see if they will be able to operate them throughout the system. And if they find they can not do so, and have to go back to the drawing board for single level coaches, it will be seen yet again as SEPTA lying to the public. This is something that should have been kept under wraps until it was known with a certainty that it could be done.

Given that they are doing an overhaul of all 35 original push-pull coaches (of which three are finished and in service, all of them having been out of service since taking the Irene swim at Trenton), I am not holding my breath on a coach order even being placed for at least two to three years, hype notwithstanding.

As for a potential lease of Amtrak AEM-7's, THAT would be a good idea as a stopgap measure. At least they will have a better chance at being able to keep the current pp fleet running better when one of their own motors conks out. As it is, the set for the afternoon Great Valley Flyer took a personal day yesterday and was canceled, with 9559 skipping 30th Street after picking up the slack. New motors will be needed for sure, as the AEM-7's would not have a chance in hell at making it up the CCT grade to Brown Street with a fully-loaded 6-car train of multilevels unless they put two on each train.
 #1276592  by sammy2009

Silverliner II wrote:
South Jersey Budd wrote:This would be a smart move for SEPTA until they can get new equipment. AEM7 reliability issues are a daily occurrence as I know twice this week the morning set to Wilmington / Newark didn't make it.

Technical question: I think they should be but are AMTRAK locomotives compatible HEP wise with SEPTA coaches?
Yes, they are fully compatible.
The Bombardier multilevels at NJT will fit today on the SEPTA system. They are of the proper height.
SEPTA is (and rightly so) doing a full clearance study on the system (estimated to take over a year) before even determining if the Bombardier NJT-type multilevels will fit on the SEPTA system. It is best to eliminate ALL possible issues before making a purchase. Not all the clearance issues are of the vertical height variety. NJT found that out during their own clearance testing and as a result, their multilevels do have some specific route restrictions on crossover moves around the system and certain platforms at Hoboken.

I am quite critical of SEPTA for even dangling the multilevel carrot at the public meetings without having even done the needed evaluations to see if they will be able to operate them throughout the system. And if they find they can not do so, and have to go back to the drawing board for single level coaches, it will be seen yet again as SEPTA lying to the public. This is something that should have been kept under wraps until it was known with a certainty that it could be done.

Given that they are doing an overhaul of all 35 original push-pull coaches (of which three are finished and in service, all of them having been out of service since taking the Irene swim at Trenton), I am not holding my breath on a coach order even being placed for at least two to three years, hype notwithstanding.

As for a potential lease of Amtrak AEM-7's, THAT would be a good idea as a stopgap measure. At least they will have a better chance at being able to keep the current pp fleet running better when one of their own motors conks out. As it is, the set for the afternoon Great Valley Flyer took a personal day yesterday and was canceled, with 9559 skipping 30th Street after picking up the slack. New motors will be needed for sure, as the AEM-7's would not have a chance in hell at making it up the CCT grade to Brown Street with a fully-loaded 6-car train of multilevels unless they put two on each train.
I Agree with what you said. They are rightfully doing the requirements before the place a order (smartly) lol....but i think it was fine for them to say that they are moving in the direction of purchasing bi-level cars...I think SEPTA would be smart and just assign the bi-levels to specific routes. I think everyone here and at SEPTA is planning a NJT piggyback order because they figure its the closet system with such restrictions. and height limits. But hope all goes well. ;-)...and i dont see SEPTA making platforms longer anytime soon lol..

AEM-7'S SEPTA needs to hop on them ASAP I Rode SEPTA'S push-pulls for the first time ever on Thursday train #9745 i believe to Trenton...and as car 23** pulled up that noise it makes irked my spirit that electric tacking sound so annoying lol....i felt like it was fast but not fast enough.
 #1276722  by Limited-Clear

You don't know much about trains do you? That noise as the "car 23xx" turned up was the braking system, motors, perfectly normal, that "tacking" sound is the air compressor bleeding moisture out of a one way valve, water in an air system is bad, they naturally make condensation that result in a water build up that they need to get rid of.

Sure they are not very reliable, but the noises you heard happen everyday and are supposed to sound like that