Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1292555  by trackwelder

ExCon90 wrote:As long as you have a rotary-dial phone and use a fountain pen, you're OK. A friend of mine used to say it was a better world when we all used carbon paper.
ha! that is an eerily accurate description, i actually do use carbon paper!!!
 #1292588  by AlexC

Before the this thread begins evaluating the pros and cons of abacuses (abacai?) vs knots in a rope, let's keep it on the SEPTA Key / NPT technology.
 #1292605  by Clearfield

I don't know for a fact that the name of the pass is SEPTA KEY.

What I do know from one of the briefings at 1234 is that in (I believe) April of 2013 Steve Red of Red Tettemer (the marketing firm SEPTA is using for NPT) said the name of the pass couldn't be revealed yet due to some kind of copyright issues.

Having said that, I can't understand what kind of copyright issues SEPTA KEY could create. SEPTA owns SEPTA and a key is a key is a key.

Having said THAT, if SEPTA KEY is really the name of the pass, and Red Tettemer and the attorneys spent many billable hours coming up with an expensive creative gem like SEPTA KEY, I'm really gonna be disappointed.

This would have been a perfect public outreach idea for SEPTA to have the public submit names to be cleared and ultimately selected.

SEPTA KEY?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE!
 #1292635  by SCB2525

Part of me feels like a very early draft graphic was simply leaked, but I can't remember the last time SEPTA had something disappointingly lame/disappointing leak and not have it eventually come to pass (elimination of R's, AT&T, Jefferson).
 #1317817  by tgolanos

JeffersonLeeEng wrote:SEPTA Key FAQ -- http://www.septa.org/key/faq.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Quite the interesting read. I'm glad to see they're keeping monthly/weekly/daily passes in addition to introducing a "pay-as-you go" system. The biggest mistake Transport NSW made here in Sydney with tap-cards is getting rid of monthly/quarterly/yearly passes.
 #1320967  by bikentransit

Are there any updates on when the new fare system will be going into use? Some news articles from 2013 stated that the system would be getting installed in the spring of 2014 and we're a year later and still nothing. Is Xerox still working on the project?
 #1321355  by MACTRAXX

bikentransit wrote:So in other words, the project has problems that have not been resolved yet, so paper transfers, tokens and tickets will be with us for the foreseeable future.
BNT (and Everyone):

The entire NPT system is going to be a huge change for SEPTA riders and it will need to be phased in gradually
and I give SEPTA credit for admitting that they are behind schedule and that their prime goal is to get it right and
not experience the problems that Chicago had being a good example with their new Ventra payment system on
the CTA...Metra and PACE are going to be integrated into the Ventra system eventually...

See: http://mashable.com/2013/12/17/chicago-ventra/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; "Chicago's new Smart Cards make commuting even harder"

I feel if SEPTA goes and rushes the NPT system too quickly into service without the major "bugs" taken out they
will get a wrath and backlash loud and clear from angry commuters if there are significant problems with NPT...

With major events like the World Meeting of Families/Papal Visit week only slightly over six months away I think
that SEPTA will at least wait until October to announce any significant changes concerning NPT and I feel that
this is the right move - not subjecting the multitudes of visitors - let alone regular riders - to a new payment type
system that almost no one will be already familiar with...

There is still the issues on just how the Regional Rail system will get NPT phased in and I am not alone in my
thoughts of being against gating the Center City stations in favor of a Proof of Payment based system...
I think that sometime in 2016 is very optomistic and when the decisions on the RRD are made 2017 seems
somewhat more likely noting how huge this project is going to be for the RRD alone...

Most regular riders use the current Trail and Transpass types which are among the most flexible use passes
sold by any transit system - keeping the option of monthly and weekly passes is a good move under NPT but
any move to limit or "cap" their use - and how transfers between modes will be counted for rides - is going to
only cause problems depending of how these are eventually administered...

The current tickets (RRD), tokens and transfers have worked for generations well but unless the technology to
properly replace them works correctly this in itself - angering SEPTA's loyal cash payers is going to be a major
problem for SEPTA...

In closing lets all hope that SEPTA gets NPT right the first time - millions of SEPTA riders WILL be watching...

MACTRAXX