Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA NPT card will be "SEPTA Key"?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1519085  by rcthompson04

ryan92084 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:09 pm
rcthompson04 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:17 pm This is not new for the reasons you noted. An interesting aspect of Key is that it encourages me to use non-Regional Rail services more when I don't purchase a pass for a month. Being out in Zone 4 and in months where I use Regional Rail less than 14 times, I set the card up to load an Independence Pass daily and use it. Before I would have used Regional Rail tickets and never used other SEPTA services. I am their ideal Regional Rail user so I admit I am far from a representative sample.
The independence pass snafu and subsequent rule changes have definitely taken over the zone 4 fares assuming they can be kept in stock.
I buy them on the Key card so I do not have the issue with them not being in stock.
 #1519256  by R36 Combine Coach

MACTRAXX wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:37 pmThe difference between NYCT Subway and SEPTA's Rapid Transit Lines is that the station clerk's booth sits away from the turnstile line in most if not all NYC Subway stations as compared to the cashiers booth right at the fareline in Philadelphia. There is even more vigilance for farebeaters with this setup.
There are some stations at NYCT that have the booth right on the turnstile, but rather few. TTC has the collector's (cashier or station agent) booths at the turnstile line, do they have the same issues with PRESTO now in use?
 #1519632  by ChesterValley

A new notice:

Effective September 7th, SEPTA will no longer sell Independence passes on board. This was marked on some of the R5 Train cars. http://septa.org/key/updates/2019-weekl ... asses.html. For some reason this directly contradicts other SEPTA Fare info http://www.septa.org/fares/pass/independence.html
 #1519641  by JeffK

ChesterValley wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:46 am A new notice:

Effective September 7th, SEPTA will no longer sell Independence passes on board.
Yet another impediment for discretionary or occasional riders, and those at stations without a ticket office.

It's almost as if they want to limit ridership to daily commuters.
 #1519705  by ryan92084

Well its more they are trying to force even occasional riders onto the key before having the proper systems in place for them to easily acquire said key...

Newest information poster includes an update about in station key sales but is still wrong/outdated about weeklies which are all still on sale for 9/9 at least. The permit section isn't entirely factual either.
IMG_20190910_053404.jpg
IMG_20190910_053404.jpg (229.56 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
 #1519735  by JeffK

ryan92084 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:46 am Well it's more they are trying to force even occasional riders onto the key before having the proper systems in place for them to easily acquire said key...
Yeah, I agree they're trying to force people onto the Key but based how the rollout's (not) going, it may never be easy for many irregular users to get a card. The number of sales outlets is far lower than the promised ~1500, and reportedly those that do exist or are planned will be limited to a specific group of vendors that aren't necessarily near major routes. Plus they've apparently dropped any idea of putting kiosks at outlying RRD stations* which leaves non-ideal riders pretty much in the same situation they faced under the legacy system. The cynic in me thinks that the amount of "found money" brought in by the on-board surcharge is just too tempting, especially in view of other revenue streams lost due to the Key's shortcomings.
Newest information poster includes an update about in station key sales but is still wrong/outdated about weeklies which are all still on sale for 9/9 at least. The permit section isn't entirely factual either.
Is anyone surprised? :-D

* with the exception of the Airport, FINALLY. There must have been enough complaints / incidents / whatever to rattle their cage.
 #1520541  by ChesterValley

So...they won't sell me a zone 3 regional rail pass but they said they could sell me a zone 3 regional rail pass on a keycard for a 4.95 fee at 30th street. I guess they are finally serious about the Key now
 #1521227  by zebrasepta

If they were really serious they would have made TVM machines that sold the passes outside of the city and made the process of getting the SEPTA Key much easier but no, they're forcing people into the SEPTA Key system.
 #1521230  by JeffK

zebrasepta wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:44 pm If they were really serious they would have made TVM machines that sold the passes outside of the city and made the process of getting the SEPTA Key much easier but no, they're forcing people into the SEPTA Key system.
Remember the studies done when thoughts of replacing the legacy system pushed their first tendrils out of the ground? The difficulty and complexity of paying fares kept coming up as one of the biggest impediments to attracting more riders.

That was back in 1995.
 #1521253  by ryan92084

Chester station has machines to dispense and refill keys but not only did they only did they decide only one should take cash they also still haven't updated them to be able to do any trailpasses. Travel wallet and transpasses only :(

Their reliability is pretty poor and I'm sure the 4 man team it takes to refill them isn't cheap so I don't think we'll see many more than currently exist.
 #1521327  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

SEPTA has posted a list of RRD stations that are going to sell the Key replacing legacy passes:

http://www.septa.org/key/updates/9-19-r ... tions.html

This program is being implemented on a gradual basis - the dates mentioned are September 19 (19
stations initially) along with 10 more stations added on October 4, 2019.

Will the Agents/Clerks be equipped with ticket office machines that will allow encoding of Key cards
including refills alongside new Key card sales?

Is SEPTA going through with the conversion of the Anywhere and Zone 3 monthly passes beginning
with the October 2019 sales? Are there any Legacy Anywhere and Zone 3 passes still available at
any stations outside of CCP?

October and November 2019 are going to be interesting months ahead for RRD with this conversion
program...Is the SEPTA Key finally ready? MACTRAXX
 #1521401  by JeffersonLeeEng

Went to Frankford yesterday to get October Zone 1 "Legacy" Pass. I almost reluctantly had my zone 1 pass loaded onto my key card, but I specifically wanted a "Legacy" pass.

Also, it appears transit hubs/terminals like Frankford, Olney, 69th, Chester TC, and Norristown have Key Fare kiosks, but they don't have the ability to load Trailpasses and are programmed more for transit fare usage (why? -- since I thought Key was supposed to be the "One Size Fits All" farecard)

I suspect that even when travel wallet finally gets activated for regional rail use, it'll be a weather-related miracle on that day...