Railroad Forums 

• Platform Problems

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1272644  by Limited-Clear

Probably because the funds were not there, or the township didn't chip in to rehab it, most if not all stations that are redo I am sure have the local townships/counties also chip in
 #1272735  by Push&Pull Master

25Hz wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:Looks fine to me.
Have you even ever been to or used this station? It's a great railfanning spot, but as an actual station i would rate it somewhere between levittown and eddington in user friendliness and overall condition.

It's pretty stupid to me to have replaced this station and not make it high level in the process, i have no idea why they did that.
I think it was done before ADA. Ivy Ridge on the Reading side didn't get a HLP.
 #1272989  by 25Hz

I hope bristol, eddington, and about 15 other stations get similar overhauls. It's time for SEPTA to quit screwing around and run a proper railroad all ready, complete with stations that are nice to be at.
 #1273173  by Head-end View

They probably would if the state government would give them the funding to do it. It seems like SEPTA barely has enough money to keep running trains.
 #1273262  by SCB2525

Ya that's just what we need; 5-6 gold plated station rebuilds for the price of an entire line extension.

Honestly, besides high levels, a large shelter with heater, maybe a bathroom, why should a public services company build a station at such exorbitantly high costs.
 #1273294  by Suburban Station

25Hz wrote:I hope bristol, eddington, and about 15 other stations get similar overhauls. It's time for SEPTA to quit screwing around and run a proper railroad all ready, complete with stations that are nice to be at.
eddington should be eliminated as a stop. sinking millions into a station with 35 boards a day is nuts. the area around the station is unwalkable and peopel can drive to nearby cornwells.
 #1273477  by 25Hz

Suburban Station wrote:
25Hz wrote:I hope bristol, eddington, and about 15 other stations get similar overhauls. It's time for SEPTA to quit screwing around and run a proper railroad all ready, complete with stations that are nice to be at.
eddington should be eliminated as a stop. sinking millions into a station with 35 boards a day is nuts. the area around the station is unwalkable and peopel can drive to nearby cornwells.
No, they cannot if they do not have an automobile. The station also connects to the 133 and 128 bus routes.
 #1273496  by SCB2525

Why would you want to have people have to traverse 2+ miles of Rt13, 513 or 95 from the Street Rd corridor DURING RUSH HOUR when you could just as easily accommodate many of them with a parking lot for which a large parcel of land does in fact exist? This is not Andalusia which was even closer to CH and was not at the end of a major thoroughfare. Big picture with doing something with Eddington is drawing not only the immediate locals but those from east Bensalem also.
 #1273554  by Limited-Clear

Eddington should be closed, it is there to serve the industrial park next to it, the people that work there and use the train don't have cars, that puts the non existent parking lot argument to rest, more people will drive to Cornwells rather than Eddington even if it had parking because more trains serve Cornwells, some locals skip Eddington, and a couple of express train make it, most skip through, also Eddington station itself is somewhat hidden from view, that generally makes passengers uneasy and likely to avoid the location.

Easy answer is to use the already existing shuttle buses and divert one per hour to do a round robin trip to Eddington station and round the industrial park and back to Cornwells, that would give Eddington hourly service, and the compensation to people who have a two seat ride to Eddington now get dropped off right at their workplace door, people for the station have the bus stop right on the street above so no locations actually change.
 #1273559  by nomis

I made out just fine for every visit I had to do to work in the past 5 months without bringing my car down from New England to Philly. That included taking a train through CCP, transferring at CCP or making an intermediate trip from Tacony or Holmesburg - all en-route to Eddington.

LC, I wholeheartedly agree on a bus feeder service, but the local septa bus that runs through the area was truncated a couple of years ago to a Rush hour only service. I heard its connections to/from CWH have proven to be unreliable though, as there have been quite a few instances of missing the connection.

The driver on that route will routinely make unsigned stops if requested but the stops in that park are spread out around the main employment centers. I don't believe I ever took the bus in either incarnation, but would walk or get a ride from either CWH or Eddington depending on the schedule.

For Reference: here is the schedule info on the old 304 bus (discontinued Oct 30,2011), and the current 133 bus.

http://www.septa.org/schedules/bus/w/304_0map.htm

http://www.septa.org/schedules/bus/w/133_0map.htm
 #1273586  by 25Hz

While i'm not enthused about cutting down a bunch of trees & disturbing what "nature" is left in this area, you could in theory put a 2 level garage on this site: http://prntscr.com/3o2fzt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe you could offset the construction with a planted green roof. Would help with heat island effect, drainage, and cooling in summer.

The other option is to use this property instead: http://prntscr.com/3o2gpn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; That i'm more in favor of...

Finally this spot could be used: http://prntscr.com/3o2i6z" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Not as ideal, as it means crossing a divided road.

They could also build a smaller carpool (2 occupants and over) lot in that green space, with capacity for 50 parking spots?
 #1273617  by Limited-Clear

25Hz, how much of Septa non existent funds do you propose to put into this, also all this rehab would have to make the station ADA, do you have a way to fund the moving of the freight track through the station too?
 #1273625  by SCB2525

Ya, a parking garage would be a gross misuse of funds at Eddington but a moderately sized surface lot in an area surrounded by heavy industrial should be relatively cheap. I wouldn't even replace the shelters; only paint them, and perhaps spruce up the platforms.

The idea that putting parking wouldn't help the station because it sees little service is a bit short-sighted. In light of expanded parking, you would increase service accordingly. It would be stupid otherwise.

Having the Cornwells Heights shuttle scoot to Eddington also does not take into account the fact that if Cornwells Heights was also rebuilt with high platforms more central to the parking lots on both inbound and outbound sides with a footbridge; the need for a shuttle at all is negated and makes for a sizable savings in operating costs, which in turn would more than make up for the pittance in increased operating costs associated with stopping more trains at Eddington. Consider also that if all this was done in preparation of the impending reconstruction of I-95, SEPTA would likely pay little out of pocket in capital costs; Penndot would be the one footing most of the bill.
 #1273685  by AlexC

ahem... crumbling platforms.