Railroad Forums 

• Platform Problems

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1271431  by 25Hz

Bristol has not been replaced or renovated yet... it's still a crumbling dirty mess. There they can still use the underpass, but you'd need elevators to make it ADA compliant.

While i was there last part of the platform edge crumbled under my foot. Thankfully i wasn't using it to bear weight or i would have likely fallen & been injured, and perhaps killed by a train.

#1271475  by scotty269

25Hz wrote: i would have likely fallen & been injured, and perhaps killed by a train.
Please report this issue to SEPTA via their online comment form ASAP!
 #1271561  by Quinn

25Hz wrote:Thankfully i wasn't using it to bear weight or i would have likely fallen & been injured, and perhaps killed by a train.
I'm curious how the train could kill you in this situation.
 #1271586  by nomis

well if you were standing there and the platform didn't "crumble", you could of been injured and killed when a train passed by.
 #1271669  by SCB2525

Stay behind the yellow line as advised and the risk dramatically decreases.
 #1271677  by glennk419

SCB2525 wrote:Stay behind the yellow line as advised and the risk dramatically decreases.
LOL, you beat me to that one.
 #1271710  by 25Hz

scotty269 wrote:
25Hz wrote: i would have likely fallen & been injured, and perhaps killed by a train.
Please report this issue to SEPTA via their online comment form ASAP!
I did the next day. I'm sure they are aware of the crumbly status of the platforms there.

It's just a corrugated steel sheet with concrete poured on top. Great for floors in a building, but not when its exposed to the elements & de-icing salt.

#1271713  by 25Hz

nomis wrote:well if you were standing there and the platform didn't "crumble", you could of been injured and killed when a train passed by.
Nah. I was using that foot to stabilize myself as i was taking photos, my toe went over the line a bit & it crumbled.
 #1272270  by CComMack

Bristol is not that new. It's not even new enough to have a mini-high for old-school ADA compliance. The combination of its age and the quick-and-dirty nature its construction means that this kind of deterioration is hardly even remarkable. That's what decades of starvation diets in the capital budget lead inevitably lead to; the real wonder is that more of the system isn't literally crumbling like this.
 #1272394  by 25Hz

CComMack wrote:Bristol is not that new. It's not even new enough to have a mini-high for old-school ADA compliance. The combination of its age and the quick-and-dirty nature its construction means that this kind of deterioration is hardly even remarkable. That's what decades of starvation diets in the capital budget lead inevitably lead to; the real wonder is that more of the system isn't literally crumbling like this.
Oh it is, but they've mastered the art of the patch job. If you've ridden for as long & often as i have, you notice these patches. They are literally everywhere.

The rebar mesh they use in some platform pokes out at the edge, it corrodes, then puts pressure on the concrete & then it just gets worse over time till it makes a crack and rinse repeat.

SEPTA infrastructure is in a lot worse shape than most people realize. If you look closely most of the bridges need replacing, many of the platforms need replacing, many station buildings need major work, and parking lots need repaving.

Lets just hope this infusion continues annually so all the patched & degraded structures can be replaced once and for all.
 #1272404  by Push&Pull Master

This station could use the Cornwells-Heights northbound platform treatment. It's not impossible or ridiculously expensive either to do something like that.
 #1272439  by 25Hz

Push/Pull Master wrote:This station could use the Cornwells-Heights northbound platform treatment. It's not impossible or ridiculously expensive either to do something like that.
Eh, the whole thing needs to be torn out and replaced. It's rusting and falling apart & many cracks in the concrete. I hope they do something nice like the plan for levittown with full length canopies and elevators.

Look at this thing........ it's barely even there!!!

http://prntscr.com/3mcp0c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1272537  by 25Hz

SCB2525 wrote:Looks fine to me.
Have you even ever been to or used this station? It's a great railfanning spot, but as an actual station i would rate it somewhere between levittown and eddington in user friendliness and overall condition.

It's pretty stupid to me to have replaced this station and not make it high level in the process, i have no idea why they did that.