Railroad Forums 

• Midday outer storage

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1272396  by 25Hz

Limited-Clear wrote:25hz, what do you mean by west Trenton is unmanned, I know the tower is a crew base, but the trains that sit there all weekend seem to do just fine by themselves from Friday night to Monday morning, as do the ones at Trenton, Lansdale, Doylestown, Warminster and Media
Yea, but it's wide open, anyone can go there. In jenkintown it's an effort to get to where they park the sets plus there are trains that pass by and SEPTA employees as well. West trenton yard is literally at the very end of the line and based on the layout it'd be easier to vandalize or what have you there vs jenkintown. Operationally it may make more sense to store them at a more central location, but i have no idea why they actually do it.

West trenton isn't a place I would want to be overnight, thats for sure.... HAHAH.
 #1272446  by SCB2525

Jenkintown isn't really teeming with life overnight. Moreso than other stations perhaps but if I was a ne'er do well who knew the area somewhat I could easily tag a car or bust a window. It doesn't happen because its not a bad area and neither is West Trenton really.
 #1272450  by Limited-Clear

West Trenton is actually a safe area, it's not really associated with Trenton and the stigma that city has, West Trenton is patrolled by Ewing police, there are train buffs that sit out at the station all night, and they have been known to call police themselves, additionally West Trenton and all outlaying locations have the car mechanics overnight.

As for the midday storage, some of the push pull bomber sets used to be stored at Wayne Electric, with the retirements of the budd cars and the deliveries of Vs the bombers were pushed to Fern Rock and Jenkintown, Wayne Electric has more cars than ever to deal with now (septa got more Vs than they has II and IIis) so the bombers stay at the outer locations mentioned, this gives them room at the repair locations to store and move equipment around as it gets worked on.

All the overnight storage is required for the early morning trains at the end points on the system.
 #1292639  by SCB2525

Good question.

Speaking to the topic, I have heard murmurs that SEPTA has some interest in acquiring Barracks Yard. Makes sense.
 #1292715  by kiha40

Is this why track north of Norristown TC on the inbound side is being replaced? It was pulled up several weeks ago, I thought they were going to eliminate it, I've never seen anything run on it or parked on it. Plus it's not electrified. Now there's some new track there.
 #1292722  by glennk419

SCB2525 wrote:Good question.

Speaking to the topic, I have heard murmurs that SEPTA has some interest in acquiring Barracks Yard. Makes sense.
Barracks Yard was just north (RR East) of the Trenton Train Station on the NEC. It was abandoned when NJT opened the Morrisville facility. In its' heyday, it had capacity for over 80 cars.
 #1292728  by redarrow5591

Barracks Yard is also notorious for its flooding during moderately heavy rainstorms due to its poor drainage. Currently it CAN be used by both NJT and SEPTA to turn trains but overnight laying over is avoided.
 #1292739  by glennk419

redarrow5591 wrote:Barracks Yard is also notorious for its flooding during moderately heavy rainstorms due to its poor drainage. Currently it CAN be used by both NJT and SEPTA to turn trains but overnight laying over is avoided.
And of course there was Hurricane Irene as we all remember all too well.
 #1295696  by 25Hz

glennk419 wrote:
redarrow5591 wrote:Barracks Yard is also notorious for its flooding during moderately heavy rainstorms due to its poor drainage. Currently it CAN be used by both NJT and SEPTA to turn trains but overnight laying over is avoided.
And of course there was Hurricane Irene as we all remember all too well.
That flooding (which i saw in person) was monumental, and had nothing to do with poor drainage. Water was just below platform level through the station and points beyond to the east out of sight around that curve. It wasn't just water coming downstream either, it was the high river pushing the creek outflow creating a backup, and the water took the path of least resistance. From what i saw from route 1 in morrisville through the trees, the NJT yard was high and dry. Even if the old engine yard was wired up and new tracks put in for NJT/SEPTA use, it would be evacuated as the SEPTA equipment left at trenton during irene should have been.