Railroad Forums 

• Midday outer storage

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1271481  by nomis

• Yard storage space at Powelton, Roberts & WECS is at a premium ...
  • Equipment manipulations ...
  • Reverse Commuting options ...
  • 1234 knows best :-)
 #1271488  by 4400Washboard

There are people at the end of the lines that want service too :-) -even if it a reverse commute

I suppose if you want to store trains (Broken down and not) away from the city for the next morning commute, you could store them overnight (Or over-day if that's a word)
I also suppose that revenue rolling stock have priority in the yards near Philly (Or at least they should) so therefore you might need to store excess MoW equipment out of the way at the end of lines
 #1271528  by glennk419

jackintosh11 wrote:Why are trains stored at the small yards at the ends of lines during the day instead of being stored closer to downtown?
Actually, many of them are not at the ENDS of lines. Fern Rock typically hosts 2 sets of push-pulls with an additional set on the layoff track at Jenkintown between rush hours.
In addition, there are usually two to three train sets that lay over on tracks 5-6 at Suburban Station and once in a great while on the 0 track.

Back in Reading days, it was not unusual to see strings of cars laying over on two of the four tracks between Spring Garden and Race Tower on the approach to Reading Terminal during the day, essentially turning it into a two track railroad during off peak hours.
 #1271537  by tgolanos

They still storing a push-pull set on the siding at Jenkintown these days?
 #1271577  by South Jersey Budd

The yards are full during the day that's why cars are stored at Media, Hill East, Fern Rock and Jenkintown. Remember SEPTA also has more total cars now with the V's.
 #1271591  by glennk419

tgolanos wrote:They still storing a push-pull set on the siding at Jenkintown these days?
They were as of a couple months ago.
 #1271637  by 25Hz

tgolanos wrote:They still storing a push-pull set on the siding at Jenkintown these days?
That they do. Usually 7 of the septa push pulls and AEM-7 pointing inbound.

I think sometimes they may keep that set in west trenton.
 #1271752  by SCB2525

Storing equipment closest to where they will next start a revenue run dramatically cuts deadheading and thus costs. There's room for even more deadhead reduction in my opinion.
 #1272147  by 25Hz

SCB2525 wrote:Storing equipment closest to where they will next start a revenue run dramatically cuts deadheading and thus costs. There's room for even more deadhead reduction in my opinion.
Yea, but west trenton is unmanned. At least at jenkintown there is people & activity nearby.
 #1272188  by scotty269

25Hz wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:Storing equipment closest to where they will next start a revenue run dramatically cuts deadheading and thus costs. There's room for even more deadhead reduction in my opinion.
Yea, but west trenton is unmanned. At least at jenkintown there is people & activity nearby.
Huh?
 #1272283  by South Jersey Budd

From an older SEPTA run guide it shows the following.

Media: 5 MU's
Hill East: 14 MU's 6-4-4
Fern Rock: 2 push pull sets
Jenkintown: 1 push pull set

In my opinion deadheading equipment is a common practice on many commuter properties and the more miles you deadhead, the cost of crews, wear and tear etc. increase.

I often wondered why SEPTA doesn't cut cars at outlying point or yards after the morning rush and pick them up before the pm rush. Dragging 5 or 6 cars around all day when you only need 2 or 3 seems like it could save some wear and tear on equipment.
 #1272294  by nomis

They do that at doylestown for some late morning arrivals, the 11am layover comes to mind. Sometimes it's just easier to turn and burn at outlying points, and that is what the schedules are setup to do.
 #1272351  by Limited-Clear

25hz, what do you mean by west Trenton is unmanned, I know the tower is a crew base, but the trains that sit there all weekend seem to do just fine by themselves from Friday night to Monday morning, as do the ones at Trenton, Lansdale, Doylestown, Warminster and Media
 #1272361  by khecht

There's been some talk that the Wilmington West Yard could be used for MU storage as it was in the PRR days after the third track project between there and Newport completes in a few years. I don't know what the current status of that is.