Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner IVs getting old

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1271234  by 4400Washboard

I think they're showing some age, but it's not that bad. Compared to a silverliner V though...
 #1271284  by SubwayTim

The Silverliner IV's were built in the mid 1970's (40 years ago), so of course, they are getting old! I miss the Silverliner II's and III's.
 #1271325  by 25Hz

Compared to the silverliner 5's these guys are aging exceptionally well.
 #1271355  by dcipjr

I think the IVs have held up remarkably well. I find them much more pleasant to ride than the Vs, which are noisy, bumpy, and already are showing signs of wear. I doubt the Vs will last 40 years without a major overhaul.
 #1271393  by 25Hz

dcipjr wrote:I think the IVs have held up remarkably well. I find them much more pleasant to ride than the Vs, which are noisy, bumpy, and already are showing signs of wear. I doubt the Vs will last 40 years without a major overhaul.
I'm betting 20 years total service life.
 #1271405  by scotty269

jackintosh11 wrote:A few days ago one of them (V) did have a failed air conditioning unit. However, i've seen IVs not able to accelerate as fast as they should be, and it causes delays.
I just want to be sure that you've noticed acceleration issues in more than 1 of the IV's, and it wasn't just because the engineer was slow on the handle, or a speed restriction was in effect, etc.
 #1271413  by 4400Washboard

Compared to a Silverliner II and Silverliner III, the Silverliner IVs are doing quite well. However, based on my current projections on the life of a Silverliner V, these are doing VERY VERY WELL. But when you compare them to Silverliner Vs in their current state, the Silverliner IVs are better.
 #1272179  by Head-end View

The Silverliner IV's also look remarkably good for their age. They still look very shiny, much more so than Long Island Railroad's 10-year old M-7's which look very dull for such new cars.
 #1272392  by 25Hz

Head-end View wrote:The Silverliner IV's also look remarkably good for their age. They still look very shiny, much more so than Long Island Railroad's 10-year old M-7's which look very dull for such new cars.
LIRR also operates near salt water environments, SEPTA does not.
 #1272409  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:I'm betting 20 years total service life.
Based on...................??