Railroad Forums 

• MSHL Woodland Shops

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1305865  by Trackseventeen

To bad there's not an interlocking between the MFL and the trolleys down in the tunnel.

Although now that I think about it, the M4s would not be able to negotiate the curves under Penn.
 #1305875  by jackintosh11

Trackseventeen wrote:To bad there's not an interlocking between the MFL and the trolleys down in the tunnel.

Although now that I think about it, the M4s would not be able to negotiate the curves under Penn.
The connection would be used for trolleys only, not for el cars
 #1306080  by 34thStreet

Wouldn't there have to be overhead wire to connect the trolleys to the El if there was an interlocking? Both are the same gauge, but 3rd rail vs. overhead. I dont seem to remember the el tunnels having the overhead wires in place.
 #1306086  by JeffK

34thStreet wrote:I don't seem to remember the El tunnels having the overhead wires in place.
Correct. Never the trains shall meet.
 #1306192  by BuddSilverliner269

For thr history buffs, In the tunnel (exact location I forget ) west of 15th street I believe , there use to be switches between the subway surface car and the elevated. Switches have been out for a LONG time but the openings in the girder work remains. This interlocking was around when the tunnel first opened up because the trolleys were the first to use the tunnel, not the el and it was double ended trolley cars that changed ends at the 15th street station of the Elevated. If you look in the ceiling of the tunnelyou can see brackets that use to hold up trolley wire over tthe el tracks.
 #1306519  by trackwelder

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:For thr history buffs, In the tunnel (exact location I forget ) west of 15th street I believe , there use to be switches between the subway surface car and the elevated. Switches have been out for a LONG time but the openings in the girder work remains. This interlocking was around when the tunnel first opened up because the trolleys were the first to use the tunnel, not the el and it was double ended trolley cars that changed ends at the 15th street station of the Elevated. If you look in the ceiling of the tunnelyou can see brackets that use to hold up trolley wire over tthe el tracks.

i can vouch for that. the wire hangers are in the tunnel east of city hall as well.