Railroad Forums 

• When SEPTA brought back late night subway service

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1281488  by R3 Passenger

For these late night trains, is SEPTA running full 6-car consists, or are they running a single pair of M4s?
 #1281519  by trackwelder

R3 Passenger wrote:For these late night trains, is SEPTA running full 6-car consists, or are they running a single pair of M4s?

full regular service consists. they don't break up a train unless they absolutely have to.
 #1282033  by Tritransit Area

R3 Passenger wrote:For these late night trains, is SEPTA running full 6-car consists, or are they running a single pair of M4s?
I believe they are using 4 car trains on the MFL. The BSL is using 3 car trains.
jackintosh11 wrote:I've heard that they use 4 car consists on sundays. Is that true?
Not anymore. There were times when SEPTA ran 4 car trains quite a while ago, though.
 #1282037  by R3 Passenger

Well, there seems to be no agreement on whether they are running 4 or 6 car consists, so let me tweak my question a bit:

How many cars does SEPTA have open on these late night trains?

If all the passengers need to pay at the cab window, I can see some revenue problems arising from using an entire 6 car or 4 car train with all doors opening and closing. I'm curious about how this system works, but am not able to make it to a terminal to observe this for myself.
 #1282182  by ExCon90

I haven't ridden the service either -- it's past my bedtime -- but I think I read that collection of fares by the operator will not take place at the busier stations; i.e., entrance turnstiles will be staffed at Lombard-South, Walnut-Locust, City Hall, and 2nd St., and all doors will open at those points. I did see a photo of an operator collecting fares at the door at Frankford Terminal, but I would think most passengers would be alighting there rather than boarding. Somebody speak up if this isn't correct.
 #1286128  by ekt8750

acs85 wrote:People seem to have forgotten that PATCO has successfully run a 24/7 service for years. And many of its stops are in the suburbs!
I never knew they ran 24/7. I could have used this information Saturday night lol
 #1286828  by Amtrak7

acs85 wrote:People seem to have forgotten that PATCO has successfully run a 24/7 service for years. And many of its stops are in the suburbs!
How are PATCO stations staffed? (round the clock, days only, peaks only, not at all?)
 #1288166  by radioboy

And most of those staffings are new developments since 2009 or so. Prior to that there were some ticket windows at the big ones (eg Woodcrest) during morning rush, and the stations were otherwise unmanned.

Sometimes there would be someone there for the super-late trains to make sure the drunks kept it in line.
 #1288232  by bikentransit

I rode the late night service on Saturday and the stations were unstaffed. At each downtown stop, the operator said "all fares to the front" over the PA as the train entered the station, then opened all the doors. Everyone got on without going to the front, and we were on our way. Free rides for all I guess.
 #1288463  by Suburban Station

bikentransit wrote:I rode the late night service on Saturday and the stations were unstaffed. At each downtown stop, the operator said "all fares to the front" over the PA as the train entered the station, then opened all the doors. Everyone got on without going to the front, and we were on our way. Free rides for all I guess.
that's one way to keep ridership artificially low so you can cancel it. SEPTA similarly still does a poor job of collecting fares on busy regional rail trains and for special events.
 #1288470  by Clearfield

Suburban Station wrote:that's one way to keep ridership artificially low so you can cancel it. SEPTA similarly still does a poor job of collecting fares on busy regional rail trains and for special events.
It's nearly impossible to collect fares for special events.

As far as late nite subway service, keep wishing for SEPTA to cancel it so you can complain about the cancellation too..............
 #1288491  by Suburban Station

Clearfield wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:that's one way to keep ridership artificially low so you can cancel it. SEPTA similarly still does a poor job of collecting fares on busy regional rail trains and for special events.
It's nearly impossible to collect fares for special events.

As far as late nite subway service, keep wishing for SEPTA to cancel it so you can complain about the cancellation too..............
Don't be silly. Fares can, in fact be collected on busy trains. Septa has done a poor job of this since i cam remember (20 years).Who said I'm wishing? Oh that's right, it's your silly claim. The fact is I want then to keep it which is why under counting ridership is important. Septa has indicated that ridership is under performing relative to their expectations. Setting aside the fact that service changes take time to build ridership, under counting is working against keeping it.