Railroad Forums 

• When SEPTA brought back late night subway service

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1288979  by Suburban Station

Clearfield wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:Fares can, in fact be collected on busy trains. Septa has done a poor job of this since i cam remember (20 years).
I disagree. I've been on RRD trains that were so full that there is no way for a conductor to walk down an aisle choked with standees. NPT won't fix this on the RRD but it will fix it in the subways and El.
And I've been on rrd trains where the conductor could get down the aisle and decided not to. Fare collection has been a problem for a long time and relying on npt is weak mgmt.
The upper level at 30th st is already crowded. It would be appreciated if they added gates from the 30th st stairs that are presently sealed.
 #1289216  by Clearfield

Suburban Station wrote:The upper level at 30th st is already crowded. It would be appreciated if they added gates from the 30th st stairs that are presently sealed.
Along with SEPTA NPT leadership, I've toured the east end stairs which are not sealed, but merely gated with signage.

They all lead to exit doors to 29th street. The end of the corridor at the north end is drywall that separates the corridor from the entrance to Club Acela.

Although SEPTA doesn't feel they need these east stairs for current loads, they WILL be NPT gated in case someone decides to exit that way.
 #1289548  by Suburban Station

Clearfield wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:The upper level at 30th st is already crowded. It would be appreciated if they added gates from the 30th st stairs that are presently sealed.
Along with SEPTA NPT leadership, I've toured the east end stairs which are not sealed, but merely gated with signage.

They all lead to exit doors to 29th street. The end of the corridor at the north end is drywall that separates the corridor from the entrance to Club Acela.

Although SEPTA doesn't feel they need these east stairs for current loads, they WILL be NPT gated in case someone decides to exit that way.
the stairs are on the west side of the platforms and the west side of 30th st. I can't say I know what stairs you are referring to that lead to 29th st. the acela lounge used to be an open corridor facilitating passenger movement to the east side of the station as well as elevators down to lower level platforms
 #1298574  by Arborwayfan

I rode in from the Airport to Jefferson Station last week and the conductor never quite made it to me to sell me a ticket. Got to my section of my car somewhere near University City, then never came back -- maybe not enough time between Center City stations? It didn't seem like an especially full train. I am from out of town and wondered how often that happened.
 #1298624  by Clearfield

Arborwayfan wrote:I rode in from the Airport to Jefferson Station last week and the conductor never quite made it to me to sell me a ticket. Got to my section of my car somewhere near University City, then never came back -- maybe not enough time between Center City stations? It didn't seem like an especially full train. I am from out of town and wondered how often that happened.
It happens a lot and the response I get from one of my senior contacts at SEPTA is that NPT will fix this. I'm guessing that the airport will be gated to make that a reality.