Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Regional Rail on Strike - 6/14 - PEB to Mediate

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1276494  by Limited-Clear

Remember guys it more than the money, it's all the stuff they put in the offered contract, the changes in working conditions, alterations to benefits, raises in health care, I don't know he details but say they offer 11% over 5 years, with gradual increases each year until they get to the 11% but at the same time increase health payments it works out they don't get any raise and can even end up worse off.

I fear that Septa is trying to gain public support by only mentioning the money aspect, anyone who has been through contract talks will know there is more to it than money
 #1276495  by Clearfield

Limited-Clear wrote:Why, they aren't on strike, it's a normal day for conductors, only difference is there aren't any engineers to run their trains
If no PEB is formed, don't count on those normal days for long. Layoffs for the duration of the strike.
 #1276499  by Clearfield

motor wrote:Why is *bus* route 78 shut down? Do BLET members staff that route? I know it's an express down 95 but...

motor
GREAT QUESTION
 #1276500  by Silverliner II

motor wrote:Why is *bus* route 78 shut down? Do BLET members staff that route? I know it's an express down 95 but...

motor
The 78 is shut down because it is basically just a Regional Rail train that runs its trips when the Trenton Line doesn't. A Regional Rail fare is paid on that bus if using cash, and only Trailpasses of the zone for Cornwells Heights and higher are good on the pass side.
 #1276502  by Clearfield

Silverliner II wrote:

motor
The 78 is shut down because it is basically just a Regional Rail train that runs its trips when the Trenton Line doesn't. A Regional Rail fare is paid on that bus if using cash, and only Trailpasses of the zone for Cornwells Heights and higher are good on the pass side.
Why would that route not be a good alternate if the RRD is down?
 #1276508  by van2005ko

Clearfield wrote:
Silverliner II wrote:

motor
Why would that route not be a good alternate if the RRD is down?
I thought the route 78 would had been the perfect alternative to the R7 since the fare for riding on the 78 are actually closer to "true" costs to the cost of running that line versus any other route throughout the entire city. Also the operators on the 78 are from a completely different union. Oh well - SEPTA's logic and those whom are responsible.
 #1276512  by Clearfield

Unless BLET will be picketing Cornwells ?
 #1276522  by SubwayTim

Is it likely that SEPTA will bustitute some, if not all the Regional Rail lines during the strike, as they usually would if a line was shut down for construction, etc.?
 #1276527  by 25Hz

I am in support of BLE in this action based on the facts.

As a regular passenger, despite being inconvenienced by this, I am also in support of strike for the other union.
 #1276536  by Gilbert B Norman

BuddR32 wrote:A PEB can be gathered together as quickly as it's asked for. Im surprised that it hasnt happened yet, seeing how we've had two for LIRR.

Im watching this very closely, because of our own local events.
Mr. Budd, first a welcome to these parts.

All provisions under the Act have apparently been exhausted. That includes the PEB as well as the 30 day 'cooling off'. Short of the Carrier and Employees agreeing to 'something', the next step would be for the carrier to seek an injunction under Taft Hartley. For this to occur, the President (Mr. Obama) must determine that NATIONAL health and safety are imperiled; only then can the employees be ordered back to work and that is for a period of 80 days.

Finally, here is free content Philadelphia Inquirer coverage:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... looms.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief passage:

• SEPTA railroad engineers and electrical workers went on strike early Saturday, halting commuter rail service in the Philadelphia region, after last-ditch efforts by federal mediators failed to break an impasse in the long-running labor dispute.

The strike shut down 13 Regional Rail lines that provide 60,000 passengers with 126,000 rides on a typical weekday. That promised to snarl already clogged highways with additional cars and to hamper commuters and their employers throughout the region.

Service on SEPTA's buses, subways, trolleys and the Norristown High-Speed Line - which carry about 85 percent of SEPTA's riders - were not affected.

Gov. Corbett was prepared to ask President Obama to quickly appoint a presidential emergency board to mediate the rail labor dispute. Under federal railroad law, the creation of such a board would compel the workers to return to the job for 240 days
While likely Gov. Corbett will try to seek some form of injunctive relief through the judicial system, it would not appear to be under either RLA or TH.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.