Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Regional Rail on Strike - 6/14 - PEB to Mediate

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1276618  by Bill R.

Clearfield wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:That's great. Hopefully the unions won't strike when the PEB period ends.
The PEB stalls the strike process by 240 days.

Why would they not strike after the PEB period ends?
Especially when it appears that SEPTA has no intention of withdrawing any concessionary elements of the contract proposal.

Buy your snow shoes and cross country skis now in preparation.

And remember that the CTD and STD contracts aren't settled either, so you might not have a Plan B to fall back on. A shutdown of all SEPTA services might be unprecedented, but it would certainly provide a great deal of negotiating leverage for the labor side.

It certainly is not the fault of the employees that mismanagement and the lack of political will in Pennsylvania to provide proper funding for transit have created funding issues at SEPTA. The employees still deserve to be able to work in an environment of respect, and retire with dignity.

If a unionized employee enjoys a benefit that you don't, you shouldn't be jealous of the unionized employee; instead, be angry at yourself for working for a lousy employer.

In Solidarity, my brothers...
 #1276622  by Clearfield

Fortunately, 234 and the other unions have kept their cool heads and not struck to shut all of SEPTA down.

I believe that a 234 strike simultaneous to BLET would prompt State legislation (that everyone on this board has been commenting on) to make transit strikes illegal where not federally superseded like the BLET. I rarely praise 234 but their restraint is smart.
 #1276681  by 25Hz

Well, this 24 hour strike has put SEPTA and all of its problems in the national spotlight. If anything i think that is a good thing, and perhaps that was the goal all along.

Good luck to both unions in getting a fair deal from management, you deserve at least that.
 #1276692  by Clearfield

Philly.com reports Obama signs order; SEPTA Regional Rails to roll Sunday

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... TejlpaT.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1276739  by SubwayTim

motor wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:
motor wrote:Why didn't Reagan appoint a PEB in 1983?

motor
I think that Joe Biden may have been influential in Obaba's decision.
Probably.

Did the PEB law exist in 1983?

motor
1983...the strike that probably many thought would NEVER end! Also, during the 1983 strike, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people thought that commuter rail service in the Philadelphia area was history, especially in the final days of the strike. I remember all too well watching the news and whenever they would report updates on the strike, you would always hear the discouraging words..."No end in sight". That was the year I graduated high school and just started becoming a railfan. My parents and I were vacationing in Ocean City, Maryland during the first two weeks of July, when I caught the news of the strike FINALLY ending, while at a 7-11 and saw a newspaper headline (possibly the Philadelphia Inquirer).
 #1276781  by 25Hz

motor wrote:Why didn't Reagan appoint a PEB in 1983?

motor
Based on the facts available, Reagan was fairly anti-transit. Right as conrail was exiting & states were taking over, his budgets outlined less grants for transit, including grants for rolling stock replacement, and physical plant renewal programs.

Some professors i've spoken to have summed it up that the Reagan era set public transportation back 15 years.

I don't think Biden had a huge amount of input on the issue, as Obama himself understands the need for transit systems to be running, even on a weekend. He was on vacation with his family in california this weekend for fathers day, yet still took the time to address the issue.
 #1276791  by NorthPennLimited

Today's story in the Inky said Obama wants the full reports completed by the PEB within 30 days.

Am I missing something? Everything I have been reading so far says the PEB has 240 days to submit the full report.

.......and yes, I know sometimes the press screws up the facts. Like the ridership numbers for regional rail. The figures range anywhere from 60k per day to 160k per day. That's one heck of a bell curve.
 #1276839  by Tritransit Area

NorthPennLimited wrote:Today's story in the Inky said Obama wants the full reports completed by the PEB within 30 days.

Am I missing something? Everything I have been reading so far says the PEB has 240 days to submit the full report.

.......and yes, I know sometimes the press screws up the facts. Like the ridership numbers for regional rail. The figures range anywhere from 60k per day to 160k per day. That's one heck of a bell curve.
The recommendation is due in 30 days, but the union cannot strike for another 240 days, regardless of the recommendations.
 #1276918  by ExCon90

NorthPennLimited wrote:.......and yes, I know sometimes the press screws up the facts. Like the ridership numbers for regional rail. The figures range anywhere from 60k per day to 160k per day. That's one heck of a bell curve.
I've been assuming that the 126,000 figure represents trips while 60,000 represents passengers, most of whom make 2 trips daily.