Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Regional Rail on Strike - 6/14 - PEB to Mediate

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1276412  by Limited-Clear

No he doesn't because he has never had to fight for anything, he will learn that through a long long career he will need his fellow workers to stand in unity with him, one day he will look on these sort of event and realize that to not be walked all over and lose the very things you work for and to be treated fairly these extremes sometimes have to happen
 #1276423  by rslitman

scotty269 wrote:
jackintosh11 wrote:Pennsylvania needs to have a law against strikes like this.
Uh huh, do you understand why the ability to strike is important?
No, and I don't care. I side with the original poster (NOT the OP).

Unions are an anachronism in the 21st century, and going on strike is unionism at its worst.

I am a liberal Democrat in almost every way except for my anti-union sentiments.
 #1276424  by CNJGeep

Aren't you like 13?? How about you get a job first and spend a few years there, and start to learn a thing or two about the way the world works. Then maybe you'll see why the right to strike is important. Just because you can't buff out the choo-choos is not a reason to get upset.
 #1276425  by Noel Weaver

FOR YOUR INFORMATION railroad workers with SEPTA are under FEDERAL laws and not Pennsylvania laws. Pennsylvania can pass all the laws they want but they will not apply in this case or any other case involving railroad works involved in passenger service commuter, Amtrak or otherwise.
Noel Weaver
 #1276427  by CNJGeep

rslitman wrote: No, and I don't care. I side with the original poster (NOT the OP).

Unions are an anachronism in the 21st century, and going on strike is unionism at its worst.

I am a liberal Democrat in almost every way except for my anti-union sentiments.
So your suggestion to give workers a voice in the workplace, against unsafe conditions or management ineptitude is...?
 #1276439  by Limited-Clear

What do you hunk the whole point of a strike is? There is no point in a strike if it doesn't cause disruption and inconvenience, the company pushes to a point that they won't budge, listen or reason, the union tries to negotiate and follows all federal laws, next step is the "hurt" the company, that means a work stoppage and causing inconvenience to the riders, that in turn hurts the company.
 #1276440  by Clearfield

jackintosh11 wrote:What I mean is that their striking will cause harm for many more people than it will be good for.
There will be no winners in this strike if it happens. In a protracted strike, labor almost never makes up what it lost which makes the strike more of a statement than a tool. Strike, no (SEPTA) pay while you're out, eventual mutual concessions, points made to both sides by both sides, public resentment, a settlement, etc.
 #1276441  by motor

Hacker wrote:
SCB2525 wrote:Many times counties and townships will fund service on individual lines, so if a cut is made on one route it doesn't necessarily mean it will go elsewhere.
Name one township that funds service on an individual line.
Don't forget the boroughs and cities on the respective lines.

motor
 #1276470  by SubwayTim

I just hope this strike will be very brief...and not a repeat of 1983.
Does anyone here have any predictions on how long this strike may last???
 #1276475  by Noel Weaver

SubwayTim wrote:I just hope this strike will be very brief...and not a repeat of 1983.
Does anyone here have any predictions on how long this strike may last???
If SEPTA doesn't offer a decent settlement and there is no FEDERAL intervention the strike is likely to last weeks or longer. It is up to SEPTA, they brought on this unfortunate situation and they are the ones that can solve it.
Noel Weaver