• SEPTA Regional Rail on Strike - 6/14 - PEB to Mediate

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by SubwayTim

The "S" word I'm referring to is STRIKE. The last time SEPTA's city division went on strike was back in early November 2009, as the Phillies lost the World Series to the New York Yankees. With it going on five years later this year since the last strike, I believe this is the longest stretch that SEPTA hasn't been on strike, or at least threatened to go on strike! Although I rarely use SEPTA's city division and (sometimes) use the Victory (a.k.a. Red Arrow) division, I hope this "strikeless stretch" continues on.

Changed the subject from "Are We Going To Be Hearing The Dreaded "S" Word This Year???"- AlexC
  by NorthPennLimited

The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers voted on a strike authorization last fall. They have been 4 years without a working contract.
  by Clearfield

NorthPennLimited wrote:The Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers voted on a strike authorization last fall. They have been 4 years without a working contract.
The BLET strike process is different than TWU234. There's a mandatory cooling off period. Then, President Obama needs to appoint a Presidential Emergency Board to investigate.

The final timing probably won't coincide with TWU234's strike next month.
  by Limited-Clear

Doesn't seem like their in a hurry!!! They are probably going by the book and making sure the process is done correctly, no one wants to strike, it hurts everyone involved from the customer, to the employee to the employer, but if you had a job and watched the cost of living go up while your wage doesn't, you watch other people get raises while you don't, you watch your benefits and everything that you work hard for get flushed away, eventually striking is the way to make a point, it brings it all the the headlines, I don't see anyone who has a job being willing to sit and watch benefits get taken away and their base wage going down (it goes down as taxes and the cost of living go up, the take home payout gets smaller).

But we all know these guys should just eat it right? At least that's the impression I get from a lot of posts in this forum

Walk a mile in their shoes, your views will change (hell, half the managers probably can't even do the frontline work)
  by 25Hz

Limited-Clear wrote:half the managers probably can't even do the frontline work)
Lot of the administration people have no experience working on board any transit vehicle. All they know is looking at things on charts, that's the problem vs the old days when engineers & shop workers moved up into management based on experience vs some college degree. Those diplomas aren't worth the paper they are printed on if you don't know the day to day, hour to hour quirks and subtle nuances of things like colder air in a dip in an embankment or cut affecting braking, passenger loads, making that left turn in a 40 foot fully loaded bus in rush hour...

That's why you get things like NPT vs actual system improvements.

I for one am eternally greatful to all of the front line SEPTA employees & contractors that make the system work DESPITE its poor design.
  by trackwelder

25Hz wrote:
I for one am eternally greatful to all of the front line SEPTA employees & contractors that make the system work DESPITE its poor design.

it's nice to be appreciated. thanks, man.
  by lefty

I think you will see 234 try to work with SEPTA before any mention of the S- word. FYI, the union needs to have the membership authorize a strike vote before they can walk out. Once you hear a strike vote has been called, then you can start to worry. Most people are thinking of a fall 2014 time frame if things don't work out.

Don't forget=> many times SEPTA is pretty uninterested in contract talks UNTIL the union walks out.

The latest union news seems to have some issues with some new people in upper management trying to rewrite certain work rules and a previous newspaper discussed SEPTA arbitrarily changing seniority rules regarding vacations in the rail shops. The union would appear to want to address these issues in the new contract, along with the normal wages and benefits.

There are far reaching aspects of Obamacare that will also be an issue in this contract. I can see this being a serious problem to solve as well.
  by radioboy

Not just a strike, but a super strike!

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2014/03/0 ... 234-union/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“If negotiations fail,” reads a memo sent by TWU Local 234 to its members on Monday, “the unions representing SEPTA workers may all be on strike at the same time, idling bus, trolley, train and regional rail service for the first time ever.”
  by R3 Passenger

No, the poles are for the flower show crowds. Get your head in the game, Hacker!
  by trackwelder

zebrasepta wrote:I asked a conductor if their union was gonna go on a strike and he has said no, so does this mean they got a new contract?

no, it means the conductor didn't want you to panic. i dunno if the railroad is gonna go out, but i'd be damn surprised if 234 didn't. i've already canceled vacation plans and started cutting back expenses in preparation.
  by Patrick Boylan

jtaeffner wrote:
zebrasepta wrote:I asked a conductor if their union was gonna go on a strike and he has said no, so does this mean they got a new contract?

no, it means the conductor didn't want you to panic. i dunno if the railroad is gonna go out, but i'd be damn surprised if 234 didn't. i've already canceled vacation plans and started cutting back expenses in preparation.
I don't think we can tell yet.