Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA Cancels CRRC multi level order (Was:SEPTA to get multi-level railroad coaches)

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1246391  by Patrick Boylan

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... EPTA_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SEPTA is in the early stages of considering
about 36 bi-level coaches
pipe dream or dim possibility? time will tell.
 #1246409  by R3 Passenger

Patrick Boylan wrote:http://www.philly.com/philly/business/t ... EPTA_.html
SEPTA is in the early stages of considering
about 36 bi-level coaches
pipe dream or dim possibility? time will tell.
Fair use quote?
Christine Fisher, PlanPhilly wrote:In an attempt to increase passenger capacity, SEPTA is in the early stages of considering bi-level coaches. With an upstairs and a downstairs, these coaches could transport anywhere from 120 to 170 passengers. Most important to SEPTA, they would provide an efficient remedy to booming regional rail ridership. Silverliner Vs can seat 109 passengers.
Anyway, show me a set of two or three NJT Multilevels parked in either Powelton or Penn Coach Yards, and I will believe it.

Also, after standing in the cold at Holmesburg Junction for an hour and 15 minutes after Train 9745 broke down last night, new locomotives should come first. Just sayin'.
 #1246439  by Clearfield

R3 Passenger wrote:Also, after standing in the cold at Holmesburg Junction for an hour and 15 minutes after Train 9745 broke down last night, new locomotives should come first. Just sayin'.
Did the bathrooms work without the power on??
 #1246443  by SEPTA2461

Clearfield wrote:
R3 Passenger wrote:Also, after standing in the cold at Holmesburg Junction for an hour and 15 minutes after Train 9745 broke down last night, new locomotives should come first. Just sayin'.
They don't have bathrooms.
 #1246446  by R3 Passenger

Clearfield wrote:
Yes, the shelter was operational, but I didn't want to risk frostbite in a place that I don't want it.
 #1246466  by sammy2009

It's about time. Single cars can no longer cut it. Esp after last week and these recent snow storms. But quick question , how would SEPTA pay for this ? Is it over time, one lump sum ? I never really understood how purchases for new vehicles go.
 #1246476  by MikeBPRR

I thought one reason that SEPTA stuck to MUs was because push-pulls don't accelerate well when stations are close together. Would the MLs only be run in lieu of the Bombers, or would they also take the place of some current MU express sets?
 #1246483  by glennk419

MikeBPRR wrote:I thought one reason that SEPTA stuck to MUs was because push-pulls don't accelerate well when stations are close together. Would the MLs only be run in lieu of the Bombers, or would they also take the place of some current MU express sets?
Chicago has multi-level MU's on the South Shore line but I'm not sure that they have the same vertical clearance issues we have here. Something similar to the NJT Bombardier ML's would work as they have the clearance to fit through the Hudson tubes but would obviously need to be loco hauled.

On the subject of locos, isn't Septa looking to possibly tack onto the Amtrak ACS64 order?
 #1246488  by Suburban Station

MikeBPRR wrote:I thought one reason that SEPTA stuck to MUs was because push-pulls don't accelerate well when stations are close together. Would the MLs only be run in lieu of the Bombers, or would they also take the place of some current MU express sets?
I suspect they intend to use them on the longer haul express services (and that they intend to run more of those) while dedicating the mu's the high frequency stop locals
 #1246540  by Clearfield

Push-Pull Bi-Level sets can carry more passengers per car allowing more cars in a train moving more people and still be able to platform all cars at stations without having passengers walk to the nearest car that did platform.

If the Sprinters have better acceleration than the AEM's or the ALP it MIGHT be practical for operations other than expresses. Otherwise, they'll sit around all day waiting for their two rush hour runs.

Now if we can make the upper level the Quiet Ride Floor...............
 #1246566  by Patrick Boylan

glennk419 please don't forget Chicago's multi-level MU's on the South Shore line, and METRA Electric former Illinois Central, are DC, SEPTA and the rest of the northeast US electrified railroad is AC. I don't know why, but apparently AC current doesn't seem to fit well into a multi-level MU, at least nobody I know of has done it in North America.