Railroad Forums 

• How to Best Use New Capital Funding

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1231530  by Patrick Boylan

Malvern Metroliner wrote:...
As far as planned and active expenses in the capital budget, it is limited to the Bus Purchase Program
"Highlights of the Fiscal Year 2014 program include the overhaul of 40-foot low-floor New Flyer diesel buses, Broad Street B-IV
cars, City and Suburban trolleys, Regional Rail Silverliner IV and Bombardier Push-Pull railcars and locomotives, Market Frankford M-
4 cars, Norristown High Speed Line N-5 cars, and support vehicles and equipment. Highlights of campaigns for Fiscal Year 2014
include N-5 car seat replacement, M-4 car truck work, and the retrofit of hybrid cooling systems in New Flyer diesel buses..."
gprimr1 wrote:Simple.
If it's not a bridge, a wire, or a piece of rail, it doesn't get money.
gprimr1, is that your desire? If it's a fact it doesn't agree with Malvern Metroliner's quoted list which among other things mentions buses and seats.
jdcollette wrote: I can probably get to Baltimore faster than I can use public transit to get to parts of Northeast Philly.
and I'm sure you can get to Baltimore, DC, New York faster than you can use public transit to get to parts of Baltimore, DC, New York. In the dinosaur days before cell phones I called somebody in Brooklyn, Nostrand and King's Highway, from Times Square and asked if he wanted me to come over. He thought I was still in Philly, and said something on the lines of even after 90 minutes Amtrak it'd still take me another 2 hours subway to get to his house. And sure enough, it did take me about 2 hours to get from Times Square to his house.

And is this wish list of capital projects misguided? Does SEPTA miraculously now have enough operating funds to keep up current service? Is current service sufficient?
 #1231547  by Clearfield

Patrick Boylan wrote:And is this wish list of capital projects misguided? Does SEPTA miraculously now have enough operating funds to keep up current service? Is current service sufficient?
Our wish list is misguided but absolutely well-meaning.

SEPTA has a HUGE list of (if you recall) projects to keep the system running SAFELY.

THAT has to come before most of the wish list projects we've listed on this board.

Tell you what though, this IS the time of the season.

If there are projects you really feel are important and not on SEPTA's list, I do know an influential person you can reach out to.

He's making a list. He's checking it twice. He's gonna.............................
 #1231639  by gprimr1

That's my desire.

I should add I"m ok with buses being restored to good operating condition. I just want to see money used for infrastructure.
 #1231680  by scotty269

Clearfield wrote:
Patrick Boylan wrote:And is this wish list of capital projects misguided? Does SEPTA miraculously now have enough operating funds to keep up current service? Is current service sufficient?

SEPTA has a HUGE list of (if you recall) projects to keep the system running SAFELY.

THAT has to come before most of the wish list projects we've listed on this board.

If there are projects you really feel are important and not on SEPTA's list, I do know an influential person you can reach out to.

He's making a list. He's checking it twice. He's gonna.............................
You don't celebrate Christmas. What do you know about the holiday? Bah humbug!
 #1231687  by Clearfield

scotty269 wrote:
Clearfield wrote:

You don't celebrate Christmas. What do you know about the holiday? Bah humbug!
But deep inside I AM a perpetual optimist!
 #1231933  by Clearfield

lefty wrote:Last I heard the plans for a navy yard extension had the trains coming above ground and running at grade through the navy yard.
Not even a consideration unless someone funds it.

Which page of the cap budget was that listed on?
 #1231954  by Clearfield

Clearfield wrote:
lefty wrote:Last I heard the plans for a navy yard extension had the trains coming above ground and running at grade through the navy yard.

I know this prob sounded mean, but maybe we should create a SEPTA Fantasy forum. I have lots of great ideas for projects that will never see the light of day. IMHO we can help the region by concentrating on what is and can be. The members of this group have great ideas for what can actually happen and its great to see THAT aspect of our collective imaginations. :wink:
 #1232909  by SCB2525

Last I heard, Bob Casey randomly made it a vocal priority, so suggesting an extension to the Navy Yard is not as pie-in-the-sky as you may think. It would be a worthwhile project assuming all the development they had planned as mentioned in the DVRPC report some years ago is actually built. God knows if it will be.
 #1233018  by khecht

SCB2525 wrote:Last I heard, Bob Casey randomly made it a vocal priority, so suggesting an extension to the Navy Yard is not as pie-in-the-sky as you may think. It would be a worthwhile project assuming all the development they had planned as mentioned in the DVRPC report some years ago is actually built. God knows if it will be.
The area seems to be doing pretty well actually. How current occupancy compares to be the best case plans I don't know, but it does strike me that an above ground BSL extension could be the cheaper route to go there.

As discussed here, though, a BSL extension should be a separate capital funding request. The legislation just signed is really needed for state of good repair type stuff.
 #1233502  by 25Hz

I'm more concerned with more trains being cut and connections becoming something only possible in the city. Philadelphia may be the hub of the system, but the world exists outside of it too. Local roads outside of the city are getting dangerously over-packed with single occupant vehicles. Something needs to be done using transit to curb this problem extremely soon.
 #1233545  by lefty

Clearfield wrote:

It isn't funded at all. But they do dream and have plans for "shovel ready" projects in case a trainload of cash falls on them. What I heard last was they were going to run at grade, if they ever do it at all.

Going further in the unreal, they would go back underground to go do Jersey.

Never said I thought it would happen, but they do think about it.
 #1288878  by loufah

Trying to avoid talking politics here, but I'm a bit concerned about a Wolf TV ad. Wolf is the democratic candidate for Governor, and is from southeastern Pennsylvania (York).

The ad criticizes Corbett for having "raised your gas taxes through the roof", but as most people know, this was one of the provisions of the transportation bill that was passed by the legislature (and Wolf's running mate voted for the bill).

Is Wolf against the 2013 transportation bill, in particular is he against raising gas taxes to help fund transit?
 #1288888  by malagabill

In an election campaign truth in advertising is not require. The purpose is to get elected. Notice he did not say he was against the tax just that the current administration sign the law