Railroad Forums 

• The future of the SEPTA fleet

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1223673  by SEPTA2461

Who has an idea of what SEPTA's regional rail fleet will be in the decades to come? Will it be all EMU or a mix of MU and Push-Pull tonnage? This is all assuming, of course, that JM Casey procures funding to sustain the system.
 #1223696  by SCB2525

I have a feeling the P/Ps will fall away, at least the AEM7's. The IV's will stick around a good long time if they're smart about it; AFAIK they have yet to get a GOH.
 #1223759  by aem7

Currently SEPTA is looking into purchasing or leasing up to 10 Amtrak Sprinter locomotives from the builder. It's true the AEM-7s don't have much of a future around here due to their age, but with new locomotives at the helm, the coaches (after refurbishing) should still have life left in them.
 #1223764  by Clearfield

aem7 wrote:Currently SEPTA is looking into purchasing or leasing up to 10 Amtrak Sprinter locomotives from the builder. It's true the AEM-7s don't have much of a future around here due to their age, but with new locomotives at the helm, the coaches (after refurbishing) should still have life left in them.
Correct
 #1223807  by zebrasepta

aem7 wrote:Currently SEPTA is looking into purchasing or leasing up to 10 Amtrak Sprinter locomotives from the builder. It's true the AEM-7s don't have much of a future around here due to their age, but with new locomotives at the helm, the coaches (after refurbishing) should still have life left in them.
Why 10 though? I know SEPTA has 7 AEM-7's and an ALP-44
 #1223851  by khecht

Interesting, and I don't believe the SEPTA AEM-7's have ever been through a full overhaul either. Of course their mileage is probably a mere small fraction of their Amtrak brethren and the MARC ones probably have more miles as well.

The ALP44 is likely the only remaining unit in service isn't it? Has NJT fully retired their fleet?
 #1223855  by BuddSilverliner269

The push pull fleet is here to stay. The word on the street is 10 new sprinters that Aem7 has already mentioned. I understand that if the state of Pa comes thru with funding, then septa will put the order out. These motors will not be leased from amtrak and I don't know if Siemens will build some just to lease but the word on the street is MARC is looking to get some so septa should contact them to try and put an order in together. Having run the new motor already, I will say that septa would be very happy with them. Alil unknown fact is, after 2013 or 14, you won't be able to get parts for the AEM7s so it's not worth overhauling them.
 #1223888  by 25Hz

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Your infatuation with the comets and 2308 is strange!! Just go with the flow and follow what's going on here and you'll get your answer.
I too get a kick out of the fact that we got them from NJT, and the fact that they can run with the single functional ALP-44 left in service. Not so much obsessed, just a quirky happenstance that some of us hope continue for as long as possible, for less than logical reasons. :)
 #1223915  by Limited-Clear

The 2308 can work with anything, believe it or not it can even pull silverliner IVs and Vs (as can 2301 thru 2307)
 #1223926  by SCB2525

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Alil unknown fact is, after 2013 or 14, you won't be able to get parts for the AEM7s so it's not worth overhauling them.
What kind of parts wouldn't be available that wouldn't be new via a GOH?
 #1223991  by Nasadowsk

Because the answer to a blown out 25 year old part is....another 25 year old part.

I'm guessing at this age, even the basic power semiconductors used are gonna be hard to source. Add to that your control cards, contactors, etc etc etc.

Retrofit? Sure. Got the money?

I suspect the recent rebuilds and retrofits and more rebuilds of SJ and Green cargo's fleet is chasing the same issue - i.e. that the parts supply for the locomotives is simply drying up.

If it's cheaper to buy/lease/whatever a few sprinters as a tack-on to Amtrak's order, than why the heck not? Too powerful? Who cares, it's an electric. It uses what it puts out. Just dial it back (though, why?)