Railroad Forums 

• Update on PATCO Car Rebuild

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1330986  by EDM5970

I saw a pair of them on I-295 last evening in Lawrenceville, maybe around 7 PM, heading south. Too far away, and too quick, to catch any numbers, though- (Yes, they were on flatbed trucks, less their railroad trucks.)
 #1331464  by TWTRTECH

image.jpg
EDM5970 wrote:I saw a pair of them on I-295 last evening in Lawrenceville, maybe around 7 PM, heading south. Too far away, and too quick, to catch any numbers, though- (Yes, they were on flatbed trucks, less their railroad trucks.)
 #1331975  by BuddCar711

I can't believe that they're marrying up the singles, and they put a patch panel over the single-panel door instead of just replacing the whole section. I would hate to sit in that seat because there's no window next to that seat.
 #1331990  by R36 Combine Coach

jackintosh11 wrote:Why are they marrying the singles, and why was that door there in the first place?
Probably cost savings and standardization.
 #1332091  by prr60

jackintosh11 wrote:Why are they marrying the singles, and why was that door there in the first place?
The door by the operator area was designed into the single cars as a means of having the train operator collect fares during owl-hour operations. It was assumed that owl trains would all be single car. The idea was that cashiers would not be on duty at the stations around the clock, so in off hours the station gates would be opened and fares collected on board. This design feature was finalized before the un-staffed fare collection system was selected eliminating the need for operator fare collection and the extra door.
 #1333170  by radioboy

Any photos of the door in question? It's been a while since I rode PATCO.

Is the 10am train on Thursday going all the way to 15th-16th? I'll be in the city and would like to see it if I can.
 #1333744  by BuddCar711

Well I've got a chance to ride the PATCO rebuilds earlier today. There were Alsthom people riding as well. The automated announcements went ca ca (left 15th-16th & Locust). Skipped 12th-13th & Locust, 8th & Market announcement fails to mention SEPTA Regional Rail, skipped Ferry Avenue. Doors are slow in opening and closing. Door closing audible warning is a recording of the old bell ringing 3 times, and a male voice does the announcemnts. Interior is almost like a Silverliner V except the blue is lighter. Takeoffs and slowdowns are smooth, but did not hear the whine associated with electronic controllers like choppers or IBGTs (or is it IGBT). Overall I am impressed, but I think they could have done a better job than a patch panel on the former (and still should have been) singles.
 #1335327  by ReadingAve

Yes, the new cars are off and running. I had the chance to ride in one yesterday. I thought I read they're using the same motors (rebuilt) as before but the cars sure seemed to accelerate and brake more smoothly. That and I don't hear the familiar "whoosh of air" of the brakes releasing anymore. Overall a pleasant experience, though the quantity of automated announcements, both station stops as well as the other new generic announcements will take a bit to get used to.
 #1335335  by JeffersonLeeEng

I was over near Bound Brook, NJ driving along I-287 N toward Bridgewater when I saw a flatbed truck with a PATCO car (not sure of the actual number) passed me. I guess it's headed out somewhere for refurbishing...
 #1335361  by chuchubob

I also rode yesterday. The announcements in car 1009 were way too loud, once they got them right. On the westbound trip they were one station behind until reset at 8th & Market, then didn't advance and were shut off. When they were turned on on the eastbound trip, they were ear-splitting.
view out the back, approaching Broadway.
view from the first seat, shooting through the cab.
station stop at Collingswood
entering Westmont