Railroad Forums 

• Update on PATCO Car Rebuild

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1140855  by nomis

BuddCar711 wrote:I'm wondering, will the Budd cars keep the skirting, or will lose the skirting to keep uniformity with the Vickers?
The skirting is structural ...
 #1203934  by South Jersey Budd

The PATCO website has nothing new about the rebuilt cars re-entering service and the last date I remember hearing was July. Did I miss a story the says they are delayed? I have not been on PATCO since May.
 #1203988  by sammy2009

PATCO just should have got new cars. I didn't really care for them for the re-build. They need something fitting for the current era. The PATCO fleet could look much more attractive.
 #1204056  by ReadingAve

I got an e-mail from them (I'm on their e-mail news list) around 2 weeks ago saying the first car should be back late September (IIRC). They mentioned the car number (I forgot it) but I was curious if it was half of a married pair that would still need its mate to ride the rails or if it could couple to an appropriate older mate.

Has anyone heard if the single cars will be rebuilt as singles as well or converted to married pairs?
 #1204111  by R36 Combine Coach

ReadingAve wrote:They mentioned the car number (I forgot it) but I was curious if it was half of a married pair that would still need its mate to ride the rails or if it could couple to an appropriate older mate.
If the rebuilt cars are AC, I'm not sure if they can couple to the unrebuilt DC traction cars.
 #1204260  by prr60

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
ReadingAve wrote:They mentioned the car number (I forgot it) but I was curious if it was half of a married pair that would still need its mate to ride the rails or if it could couple to an appropriate older mate.
If the rebuilt cars are AC, I'm not sure if they can couple to the unrebuilt DC traction cars.
The rebuilt cars will have DC traction. The traction motors and trucks are not part of the rebuild project. Regardless, the marrying a rebuilt and an un-rebuilt car will not happen, nor will they mix rebuilt and un-rebuilt cars in the same train. I doubt the electronics and controls will permit that.
 #1204272  by R36 Combine Coach

prr60 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
The rebuilt cars will have DC traction. The traction motors and trucks are not part of the rebuild project. Regardless, the marrying a rebuilt and an un-rebuilt car will not happen, nor will they mix rebuilt and un-rebuilt cars in the same train. I doubt the electronics and controls will permit that.
That is interesting. It appears PATCO will be the last transportation agency in North America to remain DC traction. I assumed the DC cars were to be rebuilt into AC, as DC systems are now "obsolete". Since the PATCO cars will remain DC, are the GE DC electrical systems being fully remanufactured? Neither GE or Bombardier (successor to Westinghouse transportation division) offer new DC equipment.
 #1204276  by BuddCar711

R36 Combine Coach wrote:That is interesting. It appears PATCO will be the last transportation agency in North America to remain DC traction. I assumed the DC cars were to be rebuilt into AC, as DC systems are now "obsolete". Since the PATCO cars will remain DC, are the GE DC electrical systems being fully remanufactured? Neither GE or Bombardier (successor to Westinghouse transportation division) offer new DC equipment.
Well the cam controls are being chucked in favor of either a thyristor or IBGT. Most likely Vossloh will supply the controls. As far as the motors, they could be rebuilt into brushless. Also to add to the question, could regenetive braking work with a D.C. setup? As far as PATCO being the only D.C. line, the Broad Street Subway is still D.C..
 #1204498  by Jersey_Mike

BuddCar711 wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:That is interesting. It appears PATCO will be the last transportation agency in North America to remain DC traction. I assumed the DC cars were to be rebuilt into AC, as DC systems are now "obsolete". Since the PATCO cars will remain DC, are the GE DC electrical systems being fully remanufactured? Neither GE or Bombardier (successor to Westinghouse transportation division) offer new DC equipment.
Well the cam controls are being chucked in favor of either a thyristor or IBGT. Most likely Vossloh will supply the controls. As far as the motors, they could be rebuilt into brushless. Also to add to the question, could regenetive braking work with a D.C. setup? As far as PATCO being the only D.C. line, the Broad Street Subway is still D.C..
Don't forget that the 1988 built R68/68A subway cars are likely to remain DC throughout their lives. I've heard the 1994 vintage M-K CTA 3400 series could go either way.
 #1216491  by South Jersey Budd

Looked at the PATCO site real quick and didn't see anything on the car delivery? Is this project delayed ? Anyone have any updates ?

The spring 2013 project list shows it at 15% complete but that's all I see after a quick look.